Wiki Posts
Search

Wheelchair Service at NRT upon arrival

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:19 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Wheelchair Service at NRT upon arrival

Has anyone had to use the Service from arrival gate to arrivals hall. I have a balance challenge, can't walk far or fast. Will be on AY6 from HEL in C class. 11APR at 0855. Need to eventually get to JR train level. Can a FT'er give me a heads up on the drill?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:48 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Absolutely nothing to worry about as far as NRT goes. The service is extremely courteous and fast. You will be picked up at the plane, be taken through immigration, luggage claim, customs, and down to the train level. I visited Japan with a friend in a wheelchair a few times, and if anything, it was hard to convince the wheelchair attendant that we don't need any assistance past immigration.

Your post doesn't say whether you travel with your own wheelchair. If not, have you thought about how you'll get around the large train stations? The walks in Tokyo station can easily be as bad as an airport, and there's very limited seating available.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:08 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Wheelchair Svc at NRT

jpdx, thanks for the info.. I do not have my own chair. I am aware of the distances that I need to cover at JR Eki's, I will budget more time in Eki's where I need to walk further to conn..
Did the wheelchair driver speak English for those of us that don't speak Japanese?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:02 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

The wheelchair attendants at NRT speak English; I wouldn't worry.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
The wheelchair attendants at NRT speak English; I wouldn't worry.
Huh? They speak English? Well...if they do, they certainly didn't when my quadriplegic sister (who uses a power wheelchair) and I landed at NRT. It was our first time out of the states. We were overwhelmed. We were excited. We asked questions in English. We got answers in Japanese. To make matters worse, the staffers wouldn't leave us alone in the airport. One of them was so close, to my sister's wheelchair, that he lost his balance, fell into her lap, knocked her sippy cup out of the cup holder, and spilled liquids everywhere. My poor sister and I had to hunt down a family bathroom and practically take a sponge bath with toilet paper and water. It was awful. Those jerks are to blame. Overall, I would not say that there's nothing to worry about, in regards to NRT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.