Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:55 am

My haul so far this trip! Pretty decent I would say! Plus two Hibiki blenders choice.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:24 am

Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:59 pm

Would anyone be kind enough to share where the best places to buy whisky from in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka? Greatly appreciated
Preferably but not limited to Hibiki Blenders Choice

Last edited by Wikiwiki; Dec 18, 2018 at 5:01 pm Reason: adding on
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I know this is a vague question, but is there anything anyone would recommend in the (USD 75-100) (JPY- 84,440-11,261) range in Tokyo/NRT that can't be had in the US (or for at least that price)? I think I would prefer a single malt, but am open to whatever.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
I know this is a vague question, but is there anything anyone would recommend in the (USD 75-100) (JPY- 84,440-11,261) range in Tokyo/NRT that can't be had in the US (or for at least that price)? I think I would prefer a single malt, but am open to whatever.
Oddly enough there is bourbon you can't find in the states. Google "Wild Turkey Japan only" for examples (I don't know what is available these days) and Four Roses has two Japan-only expressions, "Black Label/Fine Old" and "Super Premium." You can't even buy them at the distillery in KY! However, they are roughly analogous to Yellow Label and Small Batch, but with different recipes.
BThumme and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Had an interesting experience at HND duty free this time-- clerks were reluctant to put my liquor in the tamper evident bags (for my onward connecting flight) and insisted I needed to place it in my checked luggage or I'd have to surrender it at security in the US. Only after promising both to put in my luggage after landing and not to blame them if I did lose it, did they seal it up as they've done in the past.

Of course no issues at screening. In fact, screeners returned my package after it went through the xray without additional liquid screening. I wonder what happened. Someone opened their tamper evident bag? Opaque bottle of sake? Receipt dated in the "future" and denied by TSA?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Had an interesting experience at HND duty free this time-- clerks were reluctant to put my liquor in the tamper evident bags (for my onward connecting flight) and insisted I needed to place it in my checked luggage or I'd have to surrender it at security in the US. Only after promising both to put in my luggage after landing and not to blame them if I did lose it, did they seal it up as they've done in the past.

Of course no issues at screening. In fact, screeners returned my package after it went through the xray without additional liquid screening. I wonder what happened. Someone opened their tamper evident bag? Opaque bottle of sake? Receipt dated in the "future" and denied by TSA?
How was the stock at HND?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by invalyd
How was the stock at HND?
A bunch of sold out signs over the prices at the north duty free but I can’t recall which ones now. This was an evening departure so I imagine even if it was restocked daily, it may have been too late already. I didn’t find the whisky section at the central duty free and ended up taking several boxes of umeshu.

ETA: Hibiki 17 is no longer being served in JAL F as of last month according to the CA. Online drinks menu hasn’t been updated yet. Still have NAS Yamazaki in J.

Last edited by rustykettel; Dec 20, 2018 at 5:45 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:32 pm

A bunch of sold out signs over the prices at the north duty free but I can’t recall which ones now. This was an evening departure so I imagine even if it was restocked daily, it may have been too late already. I didn’t find the whisky section at the central duty free and ended up taking several boxes of umeshu.

ETA: Hibiki 17 is no longer being served in JAL F as of last month according to the CA. Online drinks menu hasn’t been updated yet. Still have NAS Yamazaki in J.
Thanks for the report. Bummer about JAL but definitely expected. I'm flying ANA J again next week ex-Japan will see if they're still serving it.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Still have NAS Yamazaki in J.
Had some last night
Now to find some more variety to tryout over the next 10 days!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:34 pm

Just got to Tokyo, seems like the Hibiki 17 stock has finally dry. All my previously reliable shops are no longer selling minis or big bottles and most bars stopped serving it as well. Meanwhile price on the Blender's Choice has dropped by 50% and I've seen it in many places for about ¥15,000.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Just got to Tokyo, seems like the Hibiki 17 stock has finally dry. All my previously reliable shops are no longer selling minis or big bottles and most bars stopped serving it as well. Meanwhile price on the Blender's Choice has dropped by 50% and I've seen it in many places for about ¥15,000.
Yeah haven't seen any Hibiki 17 at stores! In my opinion the blender's choice is just ok. Not that great! I wouldn't pay anything north of Y12000 for it. Just scored couple bottles of 27 yrs old Bunnahabhain single cask Japan special release for their famous blues singer Akika Wada at Y15,000 each. To me that is more for the buck than any Japanese whiskies at this point!

Good luck hunting out there!
invalyd likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:32 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I just spent a month all over Japan and didn't see anything at reasonable prices. Ample stock of Yamazaki 12, but at 19k-29k for the full size, or laughable 2.5k for minis. Did see a fair bit of Hibiki 17, and fancier stuff, but again at eye-watering prices. Stayed at several hotels that had Hibiki 17 and Yamazaki 12 minis at 1080 yen, but none were willing to sell by the box (although it's easy to ask for a half dozen per day). At this point, I'm looking around mostly out of curiosity -- Japanese prices are outrageous, stock is depleted, and I have plenty of Y12 and Y18 at home and can occasionally get more (although prices in the US have increased, too, albeit to a relatively reasonable $100 for Y12).
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Stopped in the local donki during lunch today and saw the below bottles all selling at tourist gouging prices. Impressive to see H30, Y25, Y18 and H18 all in one case nonetheless.
invalyd and alan0801 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Stopped in the local donki during lunch today and saw the below bottles all selling at tourist gouging prices. Impressive to see H30, Y25, Y18 and H18 all in one case nonetheless.
May I ask which location is this donki ?Thank you.

Last edited by alan0801; Dec 27, 2018 at 5:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.