Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:42 pm

Cool. Nice offer. ;-)
JapanFlyerT and bedejay like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:05 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
A moment of silence. For the yet another dramatic price increase across all Suntory whiskies.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:32 pm

Ichiro at NRT

Currently at NRT and at the Japan Duty Free shop, 715am opening time there was 2 bottles of this.
Ichiro Malt Travel Exclusive 2023.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 5:52 pm

Reminder re: Suntory price increases: https://www.nomunication.jp/2023/11/...whisky-prices/

If you want some, duty free or not, act quick. It's based on ship date.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Had a great tour last week at Nikka Miyagikyo. A rainy morning, but it lent to the atmosphere. I was in a group of 12, all Japanese except me, on the components tasting course. The guide was a 50+ Japanese man and very knowledgable. In the begining he seemed to discourage questions, but later was very chatty (I guess to keep to the schedule). He referred to us as "whisky maniacs" a couple times, given it was not the general course. Good bit on info regarding the different stills they use.

The only disappointment was the tasting room/gift shop. Three samples per person limit, but only one aged statement sampler was being served, and that was a 10yr cask priced at ¥1,000. The shop had the component range but not much else. Not even Date or Tsuru. They did pull out a few cases of Red (500ml, ¥2500) while we were in the shop, and that got snapped up immediately. There were minis of Miyagikyo and Yoichi (50ml, ¥660) and a set of 5 minis that included Super, XO and Taketsuru.

Gradfly likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:25 pm

JapanFlyerT Thanks for the write up. Was literally thinking about coming during my solo days (April 30th) I hopes of buying some whiskey to take home as well. Seems like it would be worthy of a trip! to tour the facility. As a foreigner (with very basic Japanese understanding) would the tour be way too much? It's also Interesting to note that they don't really offer a really robust selection for those wanting to buy a bottle or two in comparison to Yamazaki offering one bottle of NAS. It is what it is I guess.

At this point, I think it might be better for me to go to a whiskey bar and just taste different whiskeys haha.

Hoping for some luck while I am in Japan this coming month.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:53 pm

Mid day update.
Hakushu bittersweet and Yamazaki smoky are popping up alternatively at Japan DF. So far Fasola has been dry.
bedejay likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 7:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bedejay
JapanFlyerT Thanks for the write up. Was literally thinking about coming during my solo days (April 30th) I hopes of buying some whiskey to take home as well. Seems like it would be worthy of a trip! to tour the facility. As a foreigner (with very basic Japanese understanding) would the tour be way too much? It's also Interesting to note that they don't really offer a really robust selection for those wanting to buy a bottle or two in comparison to Yamazaki offering one bottle of NAS. It is what it is I guess.

At this point, I think it might be better for me to go to a whiskey bar and just taste different whiskeys haha.

Hoping for some luck while I am in Japan this coming month.
I think all the paid special tours are only in Japanese. Doing one of those you will get more to taste, but understanding the guide would be tough. There is pretty decent English signage around the facility for the free self-tour.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 10:02 am

KIX Duty Free lottery just added Yamazaki/Hakushu 25 and Hibiki 30 for 450,000 Yen. The younger versions got a price bump to 55K. I'll be bidding on some combo of these for a departure in May.
JapanFlyerT and awt like this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 1:53 pm
awt

Originally Posted by skitraveler
KIX Duty Free lottery just added Yamazaki/Hakushu 25 and Hibiki 30 for 450,000 Yen. The younger versions got a price bump to 55K. I'll be bidding on some combo of these for a departure in May.
​​​​​​
I got my schedule flipped. Flying into KIX then flying out or NRT. 😭😭
Old Apr 13, 2024, 8:39 am

Was there today, noted the following (tax free) prices for 700ml bottles:
- Yamazaki 12yo 35,000
- Yamazaki NAS 19,000
- Hakushu 12yo 34,546
- Hakushu NAS 17,000
- Hibiki Blender's Choice 21,910
Old Apr 13, 2024, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Thanks for this. Were the prices reasonable or exorbitant?
Originally Posted by joejones
I took my kids on a rare touristy trip to Tokyo Tower last weekend, and discovered that one of the gift shops on the second floor has a healthy inventory of well-known labels including Yamazaki, Hakushu, Hibiki, Hibiki Harmony, etc. No photography allowed so I didn't record the full selection or prices, but possibly worth a visit if you're nearby. This is in the public area of the tower so no admission fee is required.
Was there today, noted the following (tax free) prices for 700ml bottles:
- Yamazaki 12yo 35,000
- Yamazaki NAS 19,000
- Hakushu 12yo 34,546
- Hakushu NAS 17,000
- Hibiki Blender's Choice 21,910
JapanFlyerT likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 12:12 pm

Yikes. Those prices are absurd.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 7:42 pm

I didn't see much interesting whisky on my flight out of HND last saturday.

Like AO whisky from suntory and maybe a Yamazaki NAS were the ones I glanced at.

I wanted to buy a bottle of the Nikka Samurai just for the bottle but haven't see anything.

Probably all sold out at around 9 pm.

Out of curiosity, has Wild Turkey 12 been kinda hard to find or The 4 Rose Super Premium? Didn't see them that often at liquor stores around Osaka or Tokyo
Old Apr 16, 2024, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by buggy51
Out of curiosity, has Wild Turkey 12 been kinda hard to find or The 4 Rose Super Premium? Didn't see them that often at liquor stores around Osaka or Tokyo
Back in the middle of last March, I only found WT12 in one store, a Yamaya in Kyoto, out of 8-9 I visited. Four Roses Super Premium was also in that store along with a couple others iirc. Seems more scarce than what people were reporting last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.