Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Has anyone done any of the Nikka Miyagikyo tours? There are a number of options.
I did last year. Did they increase the type of tours available?
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Gradfly
I did last year. Did they increase the type of tours available?
There are six offerings now, in addition to the standard free tour.
That said, some are seasonal, some only a couple times a month and some are only once a day.

I have the choice of two, one on Friday, one on Saturday. The blend-your-own option is sold out both days.

宮城峡キーモルトティスティングセミナー (components)
通常とは異なる蒸溜所見学後、講師の説明の元、宮城峡蒸溜所のベースとなるキーモルトと呼ばれるシングルモ ルトウイスキー(モルティ&ソフト、フルーティ&リッチ、シェリー&スイート)、シングルモルト宮城峡、カ フェグレーンウイスキーをテイスティング

ニッカのウイスキーを知るセミナーモルトウイスキー編 (Yoichi&Miyagikyo&Taketsuru)
モルトウイスキーにフォーカスして、ニッカのウイスキーづくりをご説明いたします。また、通常のツアーとは 異なる施設もご見学頂けます。ティスティング(※)はシングルモルト余市2種・シングルモルト宮城峡2種・ 竹鶴ピュアモルトの5種です
Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
There are six offerings now, in addition to the standard free tour.
That said, some are seasonal, some only a couple times a month and some are only once a day.

I have the choice of two, one on Friday, one on Saturday. The blend-your-own option is sold out both days.

宮城峡キーモルトティスティングセミナー (components)
通常とは異なる蒸溜所見学後、講師の説明の元、宮城峡蒸溜所のベースとなるキーモルトと呼ばれるシングルモ ルトウイスキー(モルティ&ソフト、フルーティ&リッチ、シェリー&スイート)、シングルモルト宮城峡、カ フェグレーンウイスキーをテイスティング

ニッカのウイスキーを知るセミナーモルトウイスキー編 (Yoichi&Miyagikyo&Taketsuru)
モルトウイスキーにフォーカスして、ニッカのウイスキーづくりをご説明いたします。また、通常のツアーとは 異なる施設もご見学頂けます。ティスティング(※)はシングルモルト余市2種・シングルモルト宮城峡2種・ 竹鶴ピュアモルトの5種です
Oh wow, that sounds awesome, especially the blend your own option. I guess the updated tour option only shows up in the JP version of the Nikka website. The Eng. version still has only a generic tour available. At least now, you can book online. For my tour, I had to ask my hotel concierge to call and book a tour slot.

I'm not a Japanese speaker, so I had to consult Google translate. The first option would be good if you wanted to decide to buy a bottle of their key malts. You can buy bottles of malty & soft, fruity & rich, sherry & sweet at the gift shop. Second option sounds like they'll offer tastings of their limited releases like Aromatic Yeast
JapanFlyerT likes this.

Last edited by Gradfly; Mar 2, 2024 at 8:13 am
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:55 am

Has anyone done any of the Nikka Miyagikyo tours? There are a number of options.
did the basic tour years ago. was pretty good and make sure to ship anything you buy to your final hotel. No need to lug around.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 11:40 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Does anyone know if the KIX lottery for Yamazaki 18, etc. is also open to arriving passengers? Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2024, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Does anyone know if the KIX lottery for Yamazaki 18, etc. is also open to arriving passengers? Thanks
The T&Cs say it is only for departures (no transfers either).
lifeonthego_k likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:48 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Just returned from HND today, nothing interesting.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:33 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Anyone seeing an updated link to the lottery at Narita airport for the Hibiki 30, Yamazaki 25 and Hakushu 25? I'm only seeing an old lottery page for Jan 2024 (collection in Feb 2024).

Last edited by lifeonthego_k; Mar 13, 2024 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Anyone seeing an updated link to the lottery at Narita airport for the Hibiki 30, Yamazaki 25 and Hakushu 25? I'm only seeing an old lottery page for Jan 2024 (collection in Feb 2024).
They're discontinued.
Those bottles used to retail for ¥160,000 with the duty free edition going for ¥250,000. After April 1 the retail price will be ¥360,000 so there is no chance of them bring sold at duty free at a 30% discount.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:16 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I took my kids on a rare touristy trip to Tokyo Tower last weekend, and discovered that one of the gift shops on the second floor has a healthy inventory of well-known labels including Yamazaki, Hakushu, Hibiki, Hibiki Harmony, etc. No photography allowed so I didn't record the full selection or prices, but possibly worth a visit if you're nearby. This is in the public area of the tower so no admission fee is required.

https://www.tokyotower.co.jp/foottown/qht0x8y88n.html
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
I took my kids on a rare touristy trip to Tokyo Tower last weekend, and discovered that one of the gift shops on the second floor has a healthy inventory of well-known labels including Yamazaki, Hakushu, Hibiki, Hibiki Harmony, etc. No photography allowed so I didn't record the full selection or prices, but possibly worth a visit if you're nearby. This is in the public area of the tower so no admission fee is required.

Can you give us a rough idea of prices? More than Donki?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by joejones

Thanks for this. Were the prices reasonable or exorbitant?
nycpolostud likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
They're discontinued.
Those bottles used to retail for ¥160,000 with the duty free edition going for ¥250,000. After April 1 the retail price will be ¥360,000 so there is no chance of them bring sold at duty free at a 30% discount.
so sad!
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
so sad!
I would wager they will come back soon, possibly with a new design, and a price tag of ¥500,000+
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:57 pm

I have 2 Yamazaki museum spots available for 4/12 (4:00-4:30p). Was able to secure the English tour last night (stoked) and would like to offer my spots to the museum to the FT community [for all the help] before just canceling.
JapanFlyerT and freckles123 like this.

Last edited by bedejay; Mar 21, 2024 at 4:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.