Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:04 pm

I'm flying out of Hiroshima (HIJ) with a 3-hour, 10-minute layover at HND before flying to LAX. All on a single itinerary; first leg JAL, second leg AA.

What should I expect? Would I do customs at HIJ (I assume) or during the HND layover? Will it be easy to find my connecting gate?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AlsoNamedBort
I'm flying out of Hiroshima (HIJ) with a 3-hour, 10-minute layover at HND before flying to LAX. All on a single itinerary; first leg JAL, second leg AA.

What should I expect? Would I do customs at HIJ (I assume) or during the HND layover? Will it be easy to find my connecting gate?
You need to go to the counter for domestic flights with an international connection in Hiroshima. Your luggage will he checked through to your final destination.

When arriving, follow the signs for international connections in the arrival flow, there is a bus that will take you to the international terminal. Alternatively you can just exit and take the free inter terminal bus or get a free ticket to the trains to change terminal.

Immigration will be at Haneda in the international terminal. If you need to claim tax refund, also in Haneda, otherwise no customs processing.

If you are a bit of a plane geek, go to the roof of the international terminal for a bit of plane spotting, the views are great The food court landside in the international terminal is also worth a visit if you don't have lounge access and need a bit of food. For these two options you need to follow the arrivals route and take land side transport to the international terminal.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:41 pm

time for international transfer tokyo narita

I am looking at booking a trip from boston to melbourne and there are no direct options that I can book through points alone (I have BA points to use). Best option I can come up with is award flights BOS-NRT and pay for flights NRT-MEL.

The incoming flight arrives 16:30 (JAL) and my departing flight is 19:20 (Qantas). Is that enough time to clear immigration/customs and make our way to board again?

from what I can tell they both fly in and out of terminal 2.

Last edited by Smasha314; Jul 15, 2018 at 6:23 pm Reason: corrected airline
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Actually, ANA flies out of T1-south. That means you will have to make your way by bus over to T2.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Smasha314
from what I can tell they both fly in and out of terminal 2.
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Actually, ANA flies out of T1-south. That means you will have to make your way by bus over to T2.
+1

ANA operates from T1 and QF from T2. Here's a description from the NRT airport web site of the airside transfer procedures from T1 to T2.

https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/con...nter_inter_t1/

This route will only work of course if your luggage is checked through to your final destination. If your luggage is checked to NRT, you will need to enter Japan and transfer from T1 to T2 landside, and then recheck bags at T2 for your onward QF flight.

Landside bus description: https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/shuttlebus
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:07 pm

Note I have corrected my original post. I am flying with JAL from BOS - NRT. (apologies for the confusion)

Further given both JAL and Qantas are one world, can they check our bags right through?

Is 3 hours enough time if our bags are checked right through?

Last edited by Smasha314; Jul 15, 2018 at 6:23 pm
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Smasha314
Note I have corrected my original post. I am flying with JAL from BOS - NRT. (apologies for the confusion)

Further given both JAL and Qantas are one world, can they check our bags right through?

Is 3 hours enough time if our bags are checked right through?
​​​​​​Japan Airlines has an official policy to check through luggage on separate tickets within Oneworld. So that should be fine with 3 hours connection.

And PS transit security only requires you to have a print of your itinerary, so if you can't get your onward boarding pass in advance, you can get it airside in Narita

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jul 15, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:59 am

I’d like to get opinions on these two flight options into NRT and what the connecting implications are for each.

In late Dec we’re booked in Biz on JAL 008 NRT-BOS, which leaves NRT at 6:30pm. We’re starting in HKG that morning and I’m considering two flights in Econ:
1) Hong Kong Airlines arriving NRT 2:30pm
2) JAL arriving NRT 3:25pm

Either option will be a separate ticket because the NRT-BOS segment is an award ticket, and we are US citizens who’ll be checking bags. The Hong Kong Airlines flight is about $200 cheaper per ticket, which is meaningful to us but not a deal-maker.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my guess is that we could probably talk the JAL staff in HKG into checking our bags through to BOS in Option 2 even though they are separate tix because they’d be JAL-JAL and the second one is in Biz. I don’t know whether Hong Kong Airlines would likely check the bags through in Option 1 or not.

I’m wondering about the passport control/luggage/customs/etc implications of the two options, especially if Option 2’s bags are checked through but Option 1’s aren’t. If the bags are NOT checked through to BOS, I assume we’d have to Collect them in NRT and check ithem with JAL, but I don’t know whether that would involve having to go through passport control/enter Japan in a way that we wouldn’t if the bags WERE checked through. Or, in Option 1, if the bags are NOT checked through, is there a way to collect them from Hong Kong Airlines and recheck with JAL without “entering Japan”?

in other words, is the extra $200 per ticket worth it to go with the JAL flight from HKG-NRT vs the Hong Kong Airlines flight? I’ve never flown either airline before so i don’t know about the comparative pleasantness of the flights (both would be Econ, HKA is an A330 and JAL is a 787-8, and I am tall and broad-shouldered).
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by rugbyshirt
I’m wondering about the passport control/luggage/customs/etc implications of the two options
The luggage carousels are after immigration - so you would need to pass immigration to collect any luggage that only goes as far as NRT.
I don't know if Hong Kong Airlines can interline your luggage.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:43 pm

As jib says.

Personally it would be a no-brainer for me to go with HK Airlines, even with the added hassle of entering Jpn and dealing with bags if HK Airlines isn't able to interline your bags. If it's separate tix, it doesn't hurt to pad time as much as possible within reason (immigration+bags+custom+checkin+exit immigration unlikely to take an hour longer than transit security). So there's the extra piece of mind, PLUS it's $200 cheaper per ticket. 4hrs will go fast as you check out the landside mall and Sakura Lounge.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rugbyshirt
I’d like to get opinions on these two flight options into NRT and what the connecting implications are for each.

In late Dec we’re booked in Biz on JAL 008 NRT-BOS, which leaves NRT at 6:30pm. We’re starting in HKG that morning and I’m considering two flights in Econ:
1) Hong Kong Airlines arriving NRT 2:30pm
2) JAL arriving NRT 3:25pm

Either option will be a separate ticket because the NRT-BOS segment is an award ticket, and we are US citizens who’ll be checking bags. The Hong Kong Airlines flight is about $200 cheaper per ticket, which is meaningful to us but not a deal-maker.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my guess is that we could probably talk the JAL staff in HKG into checking our bags through to BOS in Option 2 even though they are separate tix because they’d be JAL-JAL and the second one is in Biz. I don’t know whether Hong Kong Airlines would likely check the bags through in Option 1 or not.

I’m wondering about the passport control/luggage/customs/etc implications of the two options, especially if Option 2’s bags are checked through but Option 1’s aren’t. If the bags are NOT checked through to BOS, I assume we’d have to Collect them in NRT and check ithem with JAL, but I don’t know whether that would involve having to go through passport control/enter Japan in a way that we wouldn’t if the bags WERE checked through. Or, in Option 1, if the bags are NOT checked through, is there a way to collect them from Hong Kong Airlines and recheck with JAL without “entering Japan”?

in other words, is the extra $200 per ticket worth it to go with the JAL flight from HKG-NRT vs the Hong Kong Airlines flight? I’ve never flown either airline before so i don’t know about the comparative pleasantness of the flights (both would be Econ, HKA is an A330 and JAL is a 787-8, and I am tall and broad-shouldered).
JAL will check your bags through across the separate tickets, this is their stated policy for any Oneworld carrier. So if you go for JAL you will not need to reclaim luggage. JL flyes their 787 in a 2-4-2 configuration, so don't worry about shoulder space they are quite comfy.

Hong Kong Airlines is sort of an LCC, but reasonably nice in service. They are unlikely to check your luggage through.1st of August 2018, Hong Kong Airlines will move from T2 to T1 in Narita, so once you reclaimed luggage you will also need the bus between terminals before checking in with JAL.

I think it is obvious to choose JAL and save all the hassle of the connection.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Hello, wondering what is the appropriate connection to book for transit at HND I-D.

Currently booked on DL flight arriving to HND at 2:30pm. I have a US passport and don't have any visa or anything yet (visit is for tourism purposes). I had been planning to just take the local train into the city and then catch a train to Osaka.

However I was told recently that it's silly to do that and I ought to just fly HND-ITA as it would be cheaper and quicker. I don't really know how long I should expect customs/immigration to take entering Japan. I see that there are flights on ANA from HND-ITA at 4pm, 5pm, 6pm all of which are ~$70 (vs I think at least $120 on the shinkansen?) 4pm seems very tight, is 5pm with a 2.5 hour layover enough or should I just go with 6pm to be safe?

This would be separate tickets since my DL flight is an award and I booked it many months ago.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matthew64832
Hello, wondering what is the appropriate connection to book for transit at HND I-D.

Currently booked on DL flight arriving to HND at 2:30pm. I have a US passport and don't have any visa or anything yet (visit is for tourism purposes). I had been planning to just take the local train into the city and then catch a train to Osaka.

However I was told recently that it's silly to do that and I ought to just fly HND-ITA as it would be cheaper and quicker. I don't really know how long I should expect customs/immigration to take entering Japan. I see that there are flights on ANA from HND-ITA at 4pm, 5pm, 6pm all of which are ~$70 (vs I think at least $120 on the shinkansen?) 4pm seems very tight, is 5pm with a 2.5 hour layover enough or should I just go with 6pm to be safe?

This would be separate tickets since my DL flight is an award and I booked it many months ago.
I would go for 6pm.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I would go for 6pm.
Thanks for the feedback. Is that because you think customs/immigration will take at least 3 hours, or because it takes a long time to travel from the international terminal at HND to the domestic terminal, or for some other reason?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matthew64832
Thanks for the feedback. Is that because you think customs/immigration will take at least 3 hours, or because it takes a long time to travel from the international terminal at HND to the domestic terminal, or for some other reason?
If the immigrantion lines are very long, maybe an hour after landing before you are out. 15 minutes to change terminal. Rest is delay buffering to be honest. But with separate tickets I would go for a fair amount of delay buffer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.