FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:20 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AlsoNamedBort
I'm flying out of Hiroshima (HIJ) with a 3-hour, 10-minute layover at HND before flying to LAX. All on a single itinerary; first leg JAL, second leg AA.

What should I expect? Would I do customs at HIJ (I assume) or during the HND layover? Will it be easy to find my connecting gate?
You need to go to the counter for domestic flights with an international connection in Hiroshima. Your luggage will he checked through to your final destination.

When arriving, follow the signs for international connections in the arrival flow, there is a bus that will take you to the international terminal. Alternatively you can just exit and take the free inter terminal bus or get a free ticket to the trains to change terminal.

Immigration will be at Haneda in the international terminal. If you need to claim tax refund, also in Haneda, otherwise no customs processing.

If you are a bit of a plane geek, go to the roof of the international terminal for a bit of plane spotting, the views are great The food court landside in the international terminal is also worth a visit if you don't have lounge access and need a bit of food. For these two options you need to follow the arrivals route and take land side transport to the international terminal.