Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by majortom421
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting NARITA
  • The airline on which you are arriving PHILIPPINE AIRLINES (FROM CEBU)
  • The airline on which you are departing ANA (TO LAX)
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes 2 HOURS 20 MINUTES
  • How you are connecting INT-INT
  • Whether you are traveling SEPARATE TICKETS
I know that this connection involves a security check and a terminal change via the airside bus. My question is: Does anyone know if I will be able to through check my luggage from Cebu all the way to LAX? I believe that PR and ANA have a cooperation agreement and that ANA recently purchased a stake in PR. So, I am hopeful that I can through check my luggage. Thank you for your help.
I don't know about the through checking, but you would need to be pretty certain that you can, otherwise you will quickly run out of time on a 2h 20m connection. My best guess would be no through checking, but I'd be curious to know what you find.

Remember that in case of delay and misconnect, even through checking does not protect you from needing a new ticket on ANA.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:38 am

• The airport(s) at which you are transiting: NRT
  • The airline on which you are arriving: Vietnam Airlines
  • The airline on which you are departing: Delta Airlines
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes: 9 hours
  • How you are connecting: Int-Int
  • Traveling on separate tickets (more details below)

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here has the same case. I'm flying from Vietnam to the US, transiting at NRT. Normally I book my own flight, but this time my company booked it for me. I noticed that though Vietnam Airlines and Delta are in the same alliance, for some reasons, I received 2 separate tickets for the trip from Vietnam to Japan, and from Japan to the US.

Does anyone know if I still have to recheck my bag after NRT? Or can I just tell the agent at the airport to interline my bags? And if I have to recheck bags, can I get a shore pass? I got one last time for an overnight stay, but not too sure about it this time.

Last edited by Adwas; Sep 10, 2019 at 8:49 am
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Adwas
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting: NRT
  • The airline on which you are arriving: Vietnam Airlines
  • The airline on which you are departing: Delta Airlines
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes: 9 hours
  • How you are connecting: Int-Int
  • Traveling on separate tickets (more details below)

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here has the same case. I'm flying from Vietnam to the US, transiting at NRT. Normally I book my own flight, but this time my company booked it for me. I noticed that though Vietnam Airlines and Delta are in the same alliance, for some reasons, I received 2 separate tickets for the trip from Vietnam to Japan, and from Japan to the US.

Does anyone know if I still have to recheck my bag after NRT? Or can I just tell the agent at the airport to interline my bags? And if I have to recheck bags, can I get a shore pass? I got one last time for an overnight stay, but not too sure about it this time.
Welcome to FT!

I hope that you are able to through-check your baggage, for many airlines at NRT do not accept bags for checking in until 3 hours before the flight. Perhaps Delta experts here can confirm their policies. You might want to check Delta's schedule and see whether any of their flights depart shortly after your arrival, if so, perhaps that desk will accept your luggage.

Regarding "shore pass;" Do you have a visa for Japan or are you able to travel without a visa to Japan? If so, you can exit. But, to where? Travel to Tokyo will be about 90 minutes each way? So, by the time you add up your travel time outside the airport, get back to the airport with time to spare, you may have 3-4 hour hours of exploring Tokyo. And that is a best-case scenario if your luggage is through-checked.

You might want to check these threads:

Nine hours at Narita

9 hours at NRT

Last edited by 747FC; Sep 10, 2019 at 11:22 am Reason: added info
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:50 am

Thank you for your response. I'm just wondering if I need a transit visa to collect my bags and recheck them, in the event that I need to.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: LX M&M
Flying ITM-HND-FRA in ANA Y connecting to LH F all on one ticket with a connection over ~2h.

Will our luggage be checked through and do you guys know if Lufthansa is providing a similar transfer service like ANA does for their First Class customers?

regards,
lx343
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by lx343
Flying ITM-HND-FRA in ANA Y connecting to LH F all on one ticket with a connection over ~2h.

Will our luggage be checked through and do you guys know if Lufthansa is providing a similar transfer service like ANA does for their First Class customers?

regards,
lx343
Luggage will be checked through and transfered automatically.

If you think about the Lexus transfer service from the donestic to ithe International terminal, I have never heard it mentioned that Lufthansa does offer this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by Adwas
Thank you for your response. I'm just wondering if I need a transit visa to collect my bags and recheck them, in the event that I need to.
According to the NRT website, Delta and Vietnam Airlines are both in Terminal 1. I suggest seeing if Vietnam Airlines can check your bags through to the U.S. If so, all you have to do is follow the signs for transit passengers. (Everyone walks down a long hallway, and then there's a point where the transit passengers and the passengers who want to enter Japan split up.)

Thousands of people transfer at NRT every day, so there must be some provision for those who have to collect and recheck bags. However, since transit passengers never officially enter Japan, I can't see why you would have to go through Customs and Immigration if you stayed airside.

Others may know more.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Hello all, trying to figure out if this booking will be okay or not. It's showing up on skyscanner and booked through travelocity/expedia.

• The airport(s) at which you are transiting: KIX
  • The airline on which you are arriving : JAL
  • The airline on which you are departing: JAL
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes: 1hr 5m
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom): INT-INT
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: single ticket.

First leg is from LAX to KIX, and then KIX to TPE which is the final destination.

Will there be immigration/security at KIX or will I be able to directly transfer onto the flight for TPE?

All booked under one ticket, all with JAL.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eneka
Hello all, trying to figure out if this booking will be okay or not. It's showing up on skyscanner and booked through travelocity/expedia.

• The airport(s) at which you are transiting: KIX
  • The airline on which you are arriving : JAL
  • The airline on which you are departing: JAL
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes: 1hr 5m
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom): INT-INT
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets: single ticket.

First leg is from LAX to KIX, and then KIX to TPE which is the final destination.

Will there be immigration/security at KIX or will I be able to directly transfer onto the flight for TPE?

All booked under one ticket, all with JAL.
Perfectly fine. There will be transit security, but no immigration or pick up of luggage required.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta
After deplaning you'll see signs in English pointing you to the transfer security. I'm guessing 10 minutes from deplaning to departure gate without rushing.
ksandness and Eneka like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:15 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
I need to fly in early January 2020 to NRT with a 1:45 connection that requires change of terminal on separate tickets, how risky or safe is to book?

YUL 13:00 to NRT 16:15 (+1) on AC 5 arriving T1
then
NRT 18:00 to KHH 21:10 on JL 811 departing T2

Will not have baggage and walk pretty fast, assuming there's a winter delay at YUL and flight arrives ~1 hour late, is it still likely to make the next flight? From what I read I need to first get BP of second flight if not already printed, then clear transit security, then go the air side bus terminal transfer after deplaning from T1, then find gate at T2 right? Can all that be done in under 30 mins?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jix
I need to fly in early January 2020 to NRT with a 1:45 connection that requires change of terminal on separate tickets, how risky or safe is to book?

then

Will not have baggage and walk pretty fast, assuming there's a winter delay at YUL and flight arrives ~1 hour late, is it still likely to make the next flight? From what I read I need to first get BP of second flight if not already printed, then clear transit security, then go the air side bus terminal transfer after deplaning from T1, then find gate at T2 right? Can all that be done in under 30 mins?
If I were you I will not feel comfortable. As you have mentioned you have to transfer from T1 to T2 and I just do not know how frequent those buses run between T1 and T2. With any delay on your AC 5 you are risking of missing JL 811, which is the last flight of the day to KHH from NRT, which means you have to overnight at NRT if you miss JL 811.

With separate ticket, strictly speaking from ticket rules, JL and AC both will take no responsibility if you miss JL 811 due to delay of AC 5. Technically speaking from ticket rules JL will simply consider you as no show and if you have a discount ticket with restriction then JL has no obligation to rebook you, although I think JL will likely do that knowing you are connecting form another international flight even it is separate tickets.

If AC 5 arrive at NRT on time then I think it is doable.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:11 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
If I were you I will not feel comfortable. As you have mentioned you have to transfer from T1 to T2 and I just do not know how frequent those buses run between T1 and T2. With any delay on your AC 5 you are risking of missing JL 811, which is the last flight of the day to KHH from NRT, which means you have to overnight at NRT if you miss JL 811.

With separate ticket, strictly speaking from ticket rules, JL and AC both will take no responsibility if you miss JL 811 due to delay of AC 5. Technically speaking from ticket rules JL will simply consider you as no show and if you have a discount ticket with restriction then JL has no obligation to rebook you, although I think JL will likely do that knowing you are connecting form another international flight even it is separate tickets.

If AC 5 arrive at NRT on time then I think it is doable.
Thanks. I do know the risk of miss connection and just want to figure out the exact logistics from those that have done it before.

Based on https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/con...nter_inter_t1/ there's a time table for the bus, it's roughly every 18 mins and journey is 15 min and AC seems to use the same gate at NRT (41) so I can probably find out before I board. My question on the transfer desk that scatters at T1, are they only for the airlines at T1 or all airlines? That is, if I don't have a BP by the time I deplane at T1 and need to go to T2, should I get it at T1 first before taking bus or get it at T2 after the bus?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jix
My question on the transfer desk that scatters at T1, are they only for the airlines at T1 or all airlines? That is, if I don't have a BP by the time I deplane at T1 and need to go to T2, should I get it at T1 first before taking bus or get it at T2 after the bus?
You do not need a boarding pass to board the transfer bus to T2, all you need is to show a printed itinerary showing that you are departing on a flight from T2. But it will be better to do online check in for JL 811 before you leave YUL, you do not want to miss the check-in deadline for JL 811 which I think is one hour before the departure.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by jix

then

IF this was a single ticket and MCT applied, MCT for this itinerary is 1:30. You have 15 minutes above MCT and you are on separate tickets. It's a risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.