Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The bus does still exist, a friend of mine used it Saturday. You do need a ticket/boarding pass from the other terminal to be allowed to board the bus.
I see. Then I should be allowed to board this bus as long as I'm departing on JL (even without an evidence that I'm transiting)? If so, then I guess the question is whether T-1 security screeners would let me through with JL BP on the basis that I want to use the United Club. In US, that would be no problem.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You assume correctly. My greater worry would be the lack of connection protection on separate tickets. If your incoming flight is significantly delayed, your entire KE flight (including any return) will auto-cancel.
That's what travel insurance is for.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
That's what travel insurance is for.
Here we go again. Travel insurance typically does not cover these 'self-connecting' scenarios, and where it does, has a very low cap on coverage for new tickets.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
I see. Then I should be allowed to board this bus as long as I'm departing on JL (even without an evidence that I'm transiting)? If so, then I guess the question is whether T-1 security screeners would let me through with JL BP on the basis that I want to use the United Club. In US, that would be no problem.
I doubt they would, but I can't say I have tried.. I have had to be insisting to be allowed going through T1 North with a boarding pass for T1 South. I am not sure a T2 boarding pass would go over well.

But try, and see what happens. We are keen to know

But, didn't United cut the any airline option for United Club access? Or that has not kicked in yet?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by petez
Hi

I will be arriving at NRT on a JAL international Flight (T2) and going straight to an international KE flight (T1).

Its not the same ticket however, so I am assuming that I will NOT be an "International - International" connecting passenger but will have to enter Japan, collect my luggage and then check-in for my KE flight ?

Am I correct and, if so, will 3 hours be sufficent ?
As I have been moved to the correct forum (sorry about that) I thought I would clarify I will have checked baggage so airside transfer isn't an option as far as I can see but I am OW Sapphire if that may help re Fast Track Security on my KE flight. Having seen previous posts I am planning on 3 hours being ok.

I'd be grateful on any thoughts as to the exact process I'll follow and the easiest transfer between T2 and T1 ?

Thanks

Last edited by petez; Mar 20, 2019 at 4:37 am Reason: .
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
As I have been moved to the correct forum (sorry about that) I thought I would clarify I will have checked baggage so airside transfer isn't an option as far as I can see but I am OW Sapphire if that may help re Fast Track Security on my KE flight. Having seen previous posts I am planning on 3 hours being ok.

I'd be grateful on any thoughts as to the exact process I'll follow and the easiest transfer between T2 and T1 ?

Thanks
OW Sapphire is not going to help you with KE, they are in Skyteam. No SkyTeam elite status?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:16 am

OW Sapphire is not going to help you with KE, they are in Skyteam. No SkyTeam elite status?
Hi, No I was aware of that - I was meaning Fast Track the security screening
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi, No I was aware of that - I was meaning Fast Track the security screening
Only if you have a OW deoarture boarding pass, and are in T2. In T1, you would need to have the means of accessing Sky Priority lines.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Here we go again. Travel insurance typically does not cover these 'self-connecting' scenarios, and where it does, has a very low cap on coverage for new tickets.
My experience using it is different. Buyers should buy the insurance appropriate for their particular needs.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Do we know for sure that KE and JL won't interline the luggage? I've sometimes been pleasantly surprised with this sort of thing. For sure, it will be less hassle if they do, so I would definitely inquire.

Assuming that they don't ... on landing at T2, you will need to go to immigration, then collect baggage and go through customs. After customs, you emerge into T2 international arrivals hall (1st Floor). Exit to the bus stops on the same floor and go to stop 8 or 18 for the free shuttle to T1.
https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/acc...ebus#section-2

At T1, find the KE check-in area and drop off luggage, then go through security and immigration to get airside.
OW Saphire status will not provide any benefits in T1.

Last edited by jib71; Mar 20, 2019 at 6:51 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:52 pm

I doubt they would, but I can't say I have tried.. I have had to be insisting to be allowed going through T1 North with a boarding pass for T1 South. I am not sure a T2 boarding pass would go over well.

But try, and see what happens. We are keen to know

But, didn't United cut the any airline option for United Club access? Or that has not kicked in yet?
well, based on your experience, I’m not even going to try. It would be a colossal waste of time to head over to T1 only to be denied entry.

UC thing kicks in in Nov, I believe. Even after that, my other lounge option Priority Pass is essentially only good in T1 since that’s where KAL lounge is.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn

well, based on your experience, I’m not even going to try. It would be a colossal waste of time to head over to T1 only to be denied entry.

UC thing kicks in in Nov, I believe. Even after that, my other lounge option Priority Pass is essentially only good in T1 since that’s where KAL lounge is.
Yeah, from my experience they're quite strict about going between terminals. I have tried to go from T2 to T1 airside multiple times and they have never let me.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Do we know for sure that KE and JL won't interline the luggage? I've sometimes been pleasantly surprised with this sort of thing. For sure, it will be less hassle if they do, so I would definitely inquire.

Assuming that they don't ... on landing at T2, you will need to go to immigration, then collect baggage and go through customs. After customs, you emerge into T2 international arrivals hall (1st Floor). Exit to the bus stops on the same floor and go to stop 8 or 18 for the free shuttle to T1.
https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/acc...ebus#section-2

At T1, find the KE check-in area and drop off luggage, then go through security and immigration to get airside.
OW Saphire status will not provide any benefits in T1.
Many thanks fot that - much appreciated
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:55 am

I have a flight arriving at 910 pm at HND from JFK on ANA and I have a connecting flight on TG at 1220 to BKK from HND. Should I be worried about the connection time. I gave ANA a call and they said they can try have a direct checkin for JFK-BKK at JFK. Just in case that doesn’t happen could I be in trouble.

On side note since HND is slightly smaller airport would it be easy to collect bags clear customs and check in with an hour ?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by cm007d
I have a flight arriving at 910 pm at HND from JFK on ANA and I have a connecting flight on TG at 1220 to BKK from HND. Should I be worried about the connection time. I gave ANA a call and they said they can try have a direct checkin for JFK-BKK at JFK. Just in case that doesn’t happen could I be in trouble.

On side note since HND is slightly smaller airport would it be easy to collect bags clear customs and check in with an hour ?
MCT is just 45 minutes for this connection. You have 3 hrs 10 minutes, should be no problem at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.