Biggest Tokyo snowfall in 45 years

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_...AJ201402080056

I went to the Shonan coast, and between all of the snow and the typhoon level winds, the beach looked like Antarctica without the penguins.

Craziest weather I have ever seen!
Old Feb 8, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by hailstorm
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_...AJ201402080056

I went to the Shonan coast, and between all of the snow and the typhoon level winds, the beach looked like Antarctica without the penguins.

Craziest weather I have ever seen!
Very beautiful in Tokyo.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Help, stuck in NRT due to Snow

As you can see from the other thread, stuck at NRT. Place is a mess because it appears the Narita Express is shut down. Airport limo (bus) to HND seems to be shut down.

I'm trying to fly to CTS today (Sapporo). All flights out of NRT seem to be CX or sold out, many PM options out of HND - just can't get there.

Any tips/advice? Are there other train options? Other bus options besides limo express? How much would a taxi cost?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:38 pm

I'm stuck at NRT as well, first time I've flown into there rather than HND in a long time and the trains are buses are both not running. Short of taking the helicopter there's not many options, I've holed up in a cafe so I'm just going to wait it out.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
I as in Tokyo for January a few years ago. They had about 1 inch fall overnight. I remember walking around and watching emergency vehicles having chains put on that morning.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by mnredfox
As you can see from the other thread, stuck at NRT. Place is a mess because it appears the Narita Express is shut down. Airport limo (bus) to HND seems to be shut down.

I'm trying to fly to CTS today (Sapporo). All flights out of NRT seem to be CX or sold out, many PM options out of HND - just can't get there.

Any tips/advice? Are there other train options? Other bus options besides limo express? How much would a taxi cost?
According to front desk at Tokyo marriott in shinagawa the morning busses from narita to hotel are canceled but they should begin running sometime this afternoon. If you can get an airport bus to this hotel you can switch to a taxi which generally costs about 3000 yen but because of the traffic are tending to cost 4000 to 5000 yen at this time. Airport bus to hotel is 3000 yen.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 6:37 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox

Both morning NRT-CTS flights (NH and JL) seem to be operating according NRT's website.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 8, 2014 at 6:55 pm Reason: added 'morning'
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4apM0XHxwo
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:26 am

Cleared customs at 6:20am this morning, walked through the front door of my apartment at 8:45pm, I had been looking forward to a bit of snow in Tokyo but now I'm not so excited. Last I saw of the limousine bus counter was at about 5:30pm and they still weren't running, I assume there was a bunch of abandoned cars on the expressway or something but even still it doesn't make sense that they were out of action for so long.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
I was at Shin Kamagaya Station yesterday, Feb 9, afternoon. It's a connection point for Shin Keisei and Narita Sky Access Lines, which were two of the few rail lines that were operating at that time. The platform was abnormally crowded with passengers with suitcases. I asked one of the passengers why it was so crowded and he said he was hoping to take a Narita Sky Access express train because all other trains and buses were suspended. ( I checked on the web, right. JR commuter Sobu line, NEX, Keisei Skyliner, airport buses had been stopped at noon.)

I took some photos to record the crowd I have never experienced when I went to or came back from a Japanese airport. I am almost a million miler on UA, but never have I seen a comparable case.

Station gate. Temporarily closed for entry.

Passengers on the platform.

On the stairs to the platform. Just standing and waiting for a good 30 minutes there.

I watched the passengers try to get on a train, but it was already packed and only one or two passengers a door managed to thrust themselves in.

By the way, this year JR East is running a promo with a copy shown in the following website screenshot (translated by me).

Last edited by O Sora; Feb 9, 2014 at 12:13 pm
Old Feb 9, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Another low pressure system will be passing by this weekend. It is unclear yet whether this will result in rain or more snow for the Kanto region.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by O Sora
By the way, this year JR East is running a promo with a copy shown in the following website screenshot (translated by me).
That's right, I saw that ad a lot when I was there last month. Pretty ironic given this snow situation, pretty funny.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_taGIYRTaQ

Went to Yuzawa Gala last month. Did not know that JR owned the resort.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Another low pressure system will be passing by this weekend. It is unclear yet whether this will result in rain or more snow for the Kanto region.
Face it, Tokyo only stops for "real" weather emergencies ! I do pity all those who live in the distant burbs where electricity and transport stopped. It must have made for a boring Saturday !
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:18 pm

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/02/1...os-on-twitter/

Here's for some lighthearted fun - Love the Totoro!
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:56 pm

I chose that day to make a trip to Tokyo to eat at Sushi Mizutani. He has a strict no late policy. My Shinkansen arrived an hour late. No taxis available from the hotel. Had no choice but to walk in the blizzard to get there. 5 minutes late, but he understood. Well worth it. Got lost on the way home and wandered around Ginza for 1 1/2 hours. Very few cars out, but lots of people enjoying the rare event. Snowball fights, snowmen, etc. It was a blast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.