Biggest Tokyo snowfall in 45 years

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Pickles
It's urban 姥捨て.

Coming to a city near you.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/wo...tual.html?_r=0

(Well, not near you, specifically, but ... )
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:03 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Skiing down Dogenzaka

http://t.co/fq396kuUdl

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 16, 2014 at 10:12 pm
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:11 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Hachiko has a friend

http://t.co/pMMZ3Hd4Pk

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Feb 16, 2014 at 10:08 pm
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Three days after the snow, we still require chains to drive past the homes of some nature loving residents.

The local Mcdonald's is not selling hamburgers or breakfast sandwiches on account of supply chain issues, the first time I have seen such a thing since the immediate aftermath of 311.
All of the non-shoveled snow is gone in this neighbourhood, all that remains are the piles created by those "urgent" shovelers.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
All of the non-shoveled snow is gone in this neighbourhood, all that remains are the piles created by those "urgent" shovelers.

My neighbors in Yamanashi cleared their parking spaces and piled their snow up behind my car one year. I got back from the holidays and found my car completely blocked in by a solid wall of ice. I think it stayed there for about a week. Luckily, I could walk to work. I don't know what I did to incur the wrath of those guys - They really were asshat neighbors in so many ways.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71

My neighbors in Yamanashi cleared their parking spaces and piled their snow up behind my car one year. I got back from the holidays and found my car completely blocked in by a solid wall of ice. I think it stayed there for about a week. Luckily, I could walk to work. I don't know what I did to incur the wrath of those guys - They really were asshat neighbors in so many ways.
Many years ago I must of pissed off the poo collectors in Fukuoka, they got me by not having come for months to collect !
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:08 pm

Awesome photos, NewbieRunner!

The local Mcdonald's is not selling hamburgers or breakfast sandwiches on account of supply chain issues, the first time I have seen such a thing since the immediate aftermath of 311.
Our friends in Kofu are saying some of the local konbinis and supers have barren shelves due to no supplies coming in.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP

You're lucky. I heard a story which I believe to be true of someone who incurred the wrath of a neighbor to the point that the neighbor made unofficial arrangements with a "vacum service truck" to unload it's contents through a conveniently broken window into their car.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
Awesome photos, NewbieRunner!

Our friends in Kofu are saying some of the local konbinis and supers have barren shelves due to no supplies coming in.
Supply chains are getting to be a real mess right now. Tokyo is reasonably clear of snow, but most of the highways to the west and north are still completely closed. Even the Atsugi-Odawara road hasn't yet reopened.

Going to be an interesting week.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Well, at least Japan has something to blame the mediocre GDP results on now.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
You're lucky. I heard a story which I believe to be true of someone who incurred the wrath of a neighbor to the point that the neighbor made unofficial arrangements with a "vacum service truck" to unload it's contents through a conveniently broken window into their car.
Not that I doubt your story, but I would think that it would take mafia connections to pull a stunt like that and get away with it.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:16 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Not that I doubt your story, but I would think that it would take mafia connections to pull a stunt like that and get away with it.
Not to mention that kind of mentality to start with.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Coming to a city near you.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/wo...tual.html?_r=0

(Well, not near you, specifically, but ... )
Ahhh, so THAT'S what we were contributing to during London Zoo's vulture awareness week.

Am actually quite happy that I may have directly funded some of the cement. Good scheme!
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:08 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grandson of Oyuki is forecast for Wednesday/Thursday.
Yeah, that's what I was told by a Japanese friend as well. But weather.com, wunderground, etc, don't show it.

This is potentially problematic for me as I am supposed to arrive on Thursday afternoon. Any later news? I've always wondered how I would handle being stranded for a night at Narita! If there are still taxis, I could go to a hotel in Narita town or, if it was full up, I'd be willing to taxi to Chiba station. Have been at Chiba many times but never checked out hotels there!

Edited to add: What about changing my booking to SFO-KIX-HND? If no storm, I just get in a little later, but to HND. If there is a storm, I spend the night in Osaka or Kyoto and go to Tokyo the next day.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 17, 2014 at 11:33 am
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Edited to add: What about changing my booking to SFO-KIX-HND? If no storm, I just get in a little later, but to HND. If there is a storm, I spend the night in Osaka or Kyoto and go to Tokyo the next day.
Snow is forecast for Osaka/Kyoto as well. Seems to be forecast for late night Wednesday/early morning Thursday.

They're saying that this won't be as bad as the last two, but they were also saying that the last huge snowstorm would most likely be main as late as two days beforehand, so really hard to say. A little nudge in the low pressure system one way or the other makes all of the distance. But I don't see any advantage of going to Osaka versus going to Tokyo. If you're screwed, you're either screwed either way, or there's not enough data to make a determination at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.