Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Question re going through Security at Narita

Old Aug 13, 13, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Anything specific or special we need to know for a US citizen (US passport) going through security at Narita heading to Hong Kong?

Are the rules for security and carry-on similar to those within the US? If not, what's different?

Thank you.
Old Aug 13, 13, 9:19 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by AbbyWalsh View Post
Anything specific or special we need to know for a US citizen (US passport) going through security at Narita heading to Hong Kong?

Are the rules for security and carry-on similar to those within the US? If not, what's different?

Thank you.
Your shoes stay on and no x-ray machines. Other than that pretty much the same. Significantly faster moving lines though.
Old Aug 13, 13, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, mjm
Old Aug 13, 13, 11:54 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
"Pretty much the same" except they won't shout or be otherwise rude, which is pretty much the norm here at home. And they will move you through more quickly.
Old Aug 14, 13, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
"Pretty much the same" except they won't shout or be otherwise rude, which is pretty much the norm here at home. And they will move you through more quickly.
And they don't touch your junk.
Old Aug 14, 13, 12:09 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
And they don't touch your junk.
The only real downside as far as I can tell
Old Aug 14, 13, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by mjm View Post
The only real downside as far as I can tell
LOL.... Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Old Aug 14, 13, 5:03 am

Alrighty then. :/
Old Aug 14, 13, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
Yeah, I nearly got into a fight with a scumbag at IAD on Monday. Made the mistake of going through Midfield when I have Pre-check.

I think mjm means the bodyscanners, which are mostly MMwave today.

Not only will they not be rude. They will be extremely polite and respectful! I dread moving back to the US......
Old Aug 14, 13, 6:25 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by gnaget View Post
Yeah, I nearly got into a fight with a scumbag at IAD on Monday. Made the mistake of going through Midfield when I have Pre-check.

I think mjm means the bodyscanners, which are mostly MMwave today.

Not only will they not be rude. They will be extremely polite and respectful! I dread moving back to the US......
Yes, bodyscanners. Good catch.
Old Aug 14, 13, 7:54 am

Isn't the OP transferring at NRT on their way to HKG? If so they should be mindful of any liquids and gels over 100 ml that that they might have bought enroute !
Old Aug 14, 13, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy View Post
Isn't the OP transferring at NRT on their way to HKG? If so they should be mindful of any liquids and gels over 100 ml that that they might have bought enroute !
Yea, that is good point. I used to see signs at duty free shops in the U.S. airports with flights to Narita warning transferring passenger regarding purchasing liquid items. I am sure employees at duty free shops make sure that passengers are terminating at Narita, not connecting to other flights at Narita. But again, if clearing customs at Narita and transferring to domestic flights, then domestic flights in Japan allow more than 100 mL bottle of liquid. Actually when I transferred to domestic flight Narita-Haneda, check in agent at Haneda (ANA) encouraged me to carry my duty free liquor as carry on rather than put into my check baggage.
Old Aug 14, 13, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Just to clarify, the route is EWR-NRT (12 days) then NRT-HKG.

The passenger is actually my son, not me. I'll advise him not to pack any more liquids/gels in his carry-on than what he's originally taking from the US. (3 oz or less, in a 1-quart ziplock). Is that good enough?
Old Aug 14, 13, 3:25 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Yep !
Old Aug 14, 13, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be careful about the international versus domestic rules in that I believe a few domestic flights operated by foreign carriers are treated as international. Sometimes there are people directing traffic or signs that certain domestic connecting passengers must follow the international connections path. This is for DL in Terminal 1 but might affect other USA airlines.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: