FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   Question re going through Security at Narita (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1493937-question-re-going-through-security-narita.html)

AbbyWalsh Aug 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Question re going through Security at Narita

Anything specific or special we need to know for a US citizen (US passport) going through security at Narita heading to Hong Kong?

Are the rules for security and carry-on similar to those within the US? If not, what's different?

Thank you.

mjm Aug 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by AbbyWalsh (Post 21268462)
Anything specific or special we need to know for a US citizen (US passport) going through security at Narita heading to Hong Kong?

Are the rules for security and carry-on similar to those within the US? If not, what's different?

Thank you.

Your shoes stay on and no x-ray machines. Other than that pretty much the same. Significantly faster moving lines though.

AbbyWalsh Aug 13, 2013 9:28 pm

Thank you, mjm :)

abmj-jr Aug 13, 2013 11:54 pm

"Pretty much the same" except they won't shout or be otherwise rude, which is pretty much the norm here at home. And they will move you through more quickly.

Doc Savage Aug 14, 2013 12:02 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr (Post 21269065)
"Pretty much the same" except they won't shout or be otherwise rude, which is pretty much the norm here at home. And they will move you through more quickly.

And they don't touch your junk.

mjm Aug 14, 2013 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 21269087)
And they don't touch your junk.

The only real downside as far as I can tell ;)

Doc Savage Aug 14, 2013 12:25 am

Originally Posted by mjm (Post 21269105)
The only real downside as far as I can tell ;)

LOL.... Whatever floats your boat, I guess.;)

Amyw Aug 14, 2013 5:03 am

Alrighty then. :/

gnaget Aug 14, 2013 5:42 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr (Post 21269065)

Yeah, I nearly got into a fight with a scumbag at IAD on Monday. Made the mistake of going through Midfield when I have Pre-check.

I think mjm means the bodyscanners, which are mostly MMwave today.

Not only will they not be rude. They will be extremely polite and respectful! I dread moving back to the US......

mjm Aug 14, 2013 6:25 am

Originally Posted by gnaget (Post 21270028)
Yeah, I nearly got into a fight with a scumbag at IAD on Monday. Made the mistake of going through Midfield when I have Pre-check.

I think mjm means the bodyscanners, which are mostly MMwave today.

Not only will they not be rude. They will be extremely polite and respectful! I dread moving back to the US......

Yes, bodyscanners. Good catch.

Q Shoe Guy Aug 14, 2013 7:54 am

Isn't the OP transferring at NRT on their way to HKG? If so they should be mindful of any liquids and gels over 100 ml that that they might have bought enroute !

AlwaysAisle Aug 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy (Post 21270569)
Isn't the OP transferring at NRT on their way to HKG? If so they should be mindful of any liquids and gels over 100 ml that that they might have bought enroute !

Yea, that is good point. I used to see signs at duty free shops in the U.S. airports with flights to Narita warning transferring passenger regarding purchasing liquid items. I am sure employees at duty free shops make sure that passengers are terminating at Narita, not connecting to other flights at Narita. But again, if clearing customs at Narita and transferring to domestic flights, then domestic flights in Japan allow more than 100 mL bottle of liquid. Actually when I transferred to domestic flight Narita-Haneda, check in agent at Haneda (ANA) encouraged me to carry my duty free liquor as carry on rather than put into my check baggage.

AbbyWalsh Aug 14, 2013 3:16 pm

Thank you. Just to clarify, the route is EWR-NRT (12 days) then NRT-HKG.

The passenger is actually my son, not me. I'll advise him not to pack any more liquids/gels in his carry-on than what he's originally taking from the US. (3 oz or less, in a 1-quart ziplock). Is that good enough?

abmj-jr Aug 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Yep !

MSPeconomist Aug 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Be careful about the international versus domestic rules in that I believe a few domestic flights operated by foreign carriers are treated as international. Sometimes there are people directing traffic or signs that certain domestic connecting passengers must follow the international connections path. This is for DL in Terminal 1 but might affect other USA airlines.