Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Cards or Cash in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by gnaget
Correct. There are only about 20 Citibank ATMs in the country, but thousands of Seven Bank ATMs. And the easiest place to find them is 7-11 convenience stores. To my knowledge, Seven Bank does not have regular brick and mortar branches. The idea is that you bank online and use their huge ATM network (you are never more than 500 meters from a 7-11.)

Note that Seven Bank has reduced the limit to 100,000 yen for international cards as a result of the global ATM caper in 2012 or 13. Although the Chinese can take out 200,000 on Union Pay.

So if you need a lot of cash (and your Western bank allows it) then try Citi or the Post Office.
In the month I spent in Japan last year, I think I used a Citibank ATM once, JP maybe twice and 7/11 at least every other day. Given the ubiquitousness of 7/11 locations, the ATM restrictions were never a problem for me.

Plus, Schwab refunds the ATM fees so it's not a problem for me to just pull more cash out every day or so, I won't be racking up hundreds of dollars in fees. My travel is more modest though, I rarely withdrew more than 5-10k yen at a time and that would last me two or three days.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:23 pm

Will try again, need 400,000 total in Sapporo.
Great it is 108.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I rarely withdrew more than 5-10k yen at a time
Which bank allows you to withdraw only 5k? Citi? It used to be multiple of 10 000 yen with JP and 7-Eleven using foreign cards. Unless something has changed?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:51 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Citi definitely allows you to withdraw < 10k JPY. Did that as long ago as 2006 (from a US Citi account).
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:57 am
mjm
Original Member

All Japanese banks allow multiples of 1000 yen currently.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:02 am

Thanks - I don't withdraw from my foreign cards, but my friends and family do when they come to visit. I knew your statement is correct with regards to Japanese cards, but it's good to know it is also valid for foreign cards.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Seven Bank only allows multiples of 10,000 yen for international cards for some reason. Unless something changed within the last 12 months.

Citibank allows 1000 yen multiples. I would typically take out 19k so that I had thousands. One reason that I preferred Citi.

The ATMs (Seven, Citi) do not charge a fee for international cards so not sure why there is a mention of refund.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:00 pm
mjm
Original Member

Credit Cards or Cash in Japan

Well I learned something then, thank you. :-) I have not used a non-Japanese bank card here in quite a while.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:39 pm

Schwab put a block on any further withdraws, plenty of money in account?

Not blocked but, although next day in Sapporo, not in their US system.
Also told I could withdraw more than 100,000 at a time with advanced request.

Last edited by Old Pa Kettle; Sep 19, 2014 at 5:10 pm
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Which Supermarkets accept Visa?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I've been to Japan quite a few times and have yet to find a major chain supermarket that won't take Visa.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:59 pm
Suspended

oh so please can you tell me some Supermarket Company?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Even the ultra-cheapskate OK, which is so cheap that it charges for plastic bags, take CCs. OK is found inside but separate from Home's home center stores.

In central Tokyo you will find more upscale and over-priced markets like Kinokuniya, Meidi-ya and Seijo Ishii. The latter has great fish in Foodshow at Tokyu in Shibuya. Often they are part of the basement level (food department) of a department store. The upscale shopping centers Tokyo Midtown and Roppongi Hills each have their own upscale supermarkets, Precce and LINCOS. Well, I assume so for the latter -- never entered.

For expat shopping but also excellent meat I recommend Nissin in Azabu-Juban.

Also in central Tokyo there is Peacock, e.g. Aoyama dori, Azabu-Juban, and Daikanyama. They have assorted items from Waitrose in the UK. More like a regular supermarket. Not a big fan.

The large chain Maruetsu (parent of LINCOS) has small markets called Maruetsu Petit all over central Tokyo. They are mediocre but much better than convenience stores.

In central Tokyo there is a store from the Life chain, which is found in Shibuya on Meiji dori a few hundred meters south of the station. I like this store. This is one of the few suburban type supermarkets in central Tokyo. Free parking too.

Another major chain but have to go to Setagaya and the more distant of the 23 wards and there is one around Hatsudai, is Summit. (Sammito). I don't like them.

Oh yeah, don't forget Hanamasa. It caters to small restaurants. But bulk size packaging is like regular US size packages. It is good for some things like vegetables and fruit, but beware of the Chinese gyoza and the Fukushima cucumbers.

Finally, Maruetsu Petit was originally called Pororoca. Maruetsu acquired the chain. What is a Pororoca you may wonder? It is an Amazonian tidal bore.... one hell of a name for a supermarket chain.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
I've been to Japan quite a few times and have yet to find a major chain supermarket that won't take Visa.
Even the ultra-cheapskate OK, which is so cheap that it charges for plastic bags, take CCs.
Halows ( http://www.halows.com ) doesn't - and it's one of the largest chains around, along with Marunaka and less-so Co-op (the latter thankfully take cards).
Welcome to 西日本.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:49 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Even the ultra-cheapskate OK, which is so cheap that it charges for plastic bags, take CCs. OK is found inside but separate from Home's home center stores.
Every little item is individually wrapped in Japan (and if you're at a パン屋, triple-bagging is common).

I think it's a good idea to charge for bags.

Oh yeah, don't forget Hanamasa. It caters to small restaurants. But bulk size packaging is like regular US size packages. It is good for some things like vegetables and fruit, but beware of the Chinese gyoza and the Fukushima cucumbers.
Ah, thanks for reminding me of the name. That's where I first saw whale in a supermarket (it was by Akiba).

-------------
IIRC, kaitenzushi (conveyor belt sushi restaurants) are hit-and-miss with accepting (non-Japanese) credit cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.