Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Cards or Cash in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Which can be gone in about half a day if you're not careful.
Half a day ? Really ?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Sorry, typo of course. 100k Yen.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by TemboOne
Another Canadian responds!

We've spent October 2008 and 2010 in Japan travelling independently.
Firstly, DO NOT take Canadian cash to exchange in Japan; you'll lose big time! Change all cash into Yen before leaving home - and do familiarise yourself with the money as this is your first trip.

In essence Japan is primarily a cash society, and cash is / can be used for everything, even hotel bills. Canadian visa cards (pin and chip) worked fine in Japan in 2010.
actually, the f/x rates on buying yen in cash at RBC/TD main branch in YYZ was worse than what you would get using Canadian denominated TC's and exchanging at NRT on the same day (compared over a few weeks)....rate on yen denominated TC's was better but i agree, exchanging CDN$ cash is a bad idea but TC's are much much better when you consult the exchange rate at NRT and i have done this since 2007 without issue...yen TC's were easily cashed at most major hotels.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Half a day ? Really ?
I saw a Galaxy S3 in decent shape in a store window in Akihabara one day- 30k yen went poof in about 10 minutes. Granted, the store did take AmEx.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I found eating around Japan was roughly the same as eating here in Calgary. Same as transportation (which shows how overpriced Calgary Transit is).

If you look around, you can eat well for cheap. You can be ...... as well.

I was pretty happy with a rice ball and Lawson's Red chicken nuggets as a meal.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:08 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by mkjr
i don't quite agree with you on the restaurant point. i think it depends on what you call luxury?

costs of 3* places in NYC and Tokyo are generally in the same ballpark...

its pretty easy to compare them by just going ot the michelin guide which sets in all out....check out per se and le bernadin and compare them to a few in Tokyo...[what you might find is they are lower...]

that said, L'Arpège and say The Fat Duck are a wee bit higher than what you get in Japan but the comperables in japan can run you 60000 per person for some of the 3* places...

honestly, it depends but depending on what you define as luxury, i would disagree that they are cheaper. at best, the same.
Luxury is kind of hard to define. But - if we change it to excellent restaurants (food-wise) by Michelin standards - it becomes easier . Which restaurants in Japan can run to 60000 per person (without something like an expensive bottle of wine)? Perhaps steak restaurants (I'm not a big steak fan)? Perhaps a place like Kitcho in Kyoto?

And I guess my message was kind of sloppy - at least in terms of comparison with a place like New York. Where I think a place like Le Bernardin - which I liked a lot - is actually a bargain (even though prices don't include service). Dinner for $130 (4 courses). Per Se at $295 (with service) - well I didn't much like Per Se - even at $175.

OTOH - I have found parts of Europe quite overpriced in the last decade or so. Like L'Ambroisie at $500 per person (including modest wine). Frantzen/Lindeberg at about $350 per person (including modest wine). Or perhaps it is not that the restaurants have been overpriced - but that I've been underwhelmed by the dining experiences in light of what they cost.

I think our favorite meals in the last 10 or so years in Europe were the 100 euro lunch at Guy Savoy. Great food. Amazing value (even though it wound up costing about 200 euros per person - with not so modest wine ). Also lunch at Gordon Ramsay RHR (priced similar to Guy Savoy). And I guess the longest running and perhaps best lunch special ever is at Jean Georges in New York (currently $38 for 2 courses - and $16 for each additional course).

Perhaps there's a theme here. That lunch is a better value than dinner at many high end restaurants - no matter where you are. We'll be doing our big deal meals in Tokyo at lunch. Because of jet lag. But it doesn't hurt that lunch in Tokyo - as in other parts of the world - is often a better value than dinner. Robyn
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:11 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by flipstah
I found eating around Japan was roughly the same as eating here in Calgary. Same as transportation (which shows how overpriced Calgary Transit is).

If you look around, you can eat well for cheap. You can be ...... as well.

I was pretty happy with a rice ball and Lawson's Red chicken nuggets as a meal.
Chicken nuggets? How old are you? I suspect I'm old enough to be your grandmother . Robyn
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Just an update on the CC notion - when landing at Narita T2 just head right after clearing customs and you'll find a Citibank ATM. Absolutely no problem getting cash there... nice, quick and easy. Don't think I've ever seen an ATM dish out cash so quickly to be honest...

For rail passes or the NEX & Suica combo you can also use your CC, no problems here either (just remember that topping-up the Suica needs to be done in cash).

So far I've had a handful of transactions by plastic and only one place declined my card, so not too bad. But in general cash is king here.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Ryokan in Ueda only took cash. Had similar experiences with Nara and Ishikawa-ken so I always make sure I have enough cash for the ryokan stay by itself and a little more.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:13 am

ATM limit?

What is maximum amount of withdraw from a Japan ATM with debit card?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Depends on the machine/bank you use and the card you have... no generic answers here.
Generic ATM limits can be something like JPY 200,000-500,000 per transaction (some accecpt more than one a day), but can differ depending on the card used. And who knows what limit your card has for cash withdrawals.

Last edited by RTW1; Sep 9, 2014 at 6:52 am
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by Old Pa Kettle
What is maximum amount of withdraw from a Japan ATM with debit card?
The highest limits in the world, probably. So your limit will be whatever your bank sets for a daily withdrawal. Also why that massive global Mastercard fraud/caper had the biggest yield in Japan.

Citibank was 300,000 yen, which had been reduced from 500,000 yen. IIRC.

p.s. That's the default for Citibank's own customers. They show examples on their website of changing it to 2 million yen or ~$20,000. So it's possible that Citibank does not impose any limit as the ATM operator and it's entirely what your bank sets it at.

Last edited by gnaget; Sep 9, 2014 at 6:55 am
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:43 pm

Charles Schwab debit is 100,000 limit/day and only works at Post Office.
No bank atm would take it.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Old Pa Kettle
Charles Schwab debit is 100,000 limit/day and only works at Post Office.
No bank atm would take it.
That's definitely not true. I've used my Schwab debit card at plenty of 7/11 and Citibank locations around Japan. Never tried to pull out 100k yen though.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by txflyer77
That's definitely not true. I've used my Schwab debit card at plenty of 7/11 and Citibank locations around Japan. Never tried to pull out 100k yen though.
Correct. There are only about 20 Citibank ATMs in the country, but thousands of Seven Bank ATMs. And the easiest place to find them is 7-11 convenience stores. To my knowledge, Seven Bank does not have regular brick and mortar branches. The idea is that you bank online and use their huge ATM network (you are never more than 500 meters from a 7-11.)

Note that Seven Bank has reduced the limit to 100,000 yen for international cards as a result of the global ATM caper in 2012 or 13. Although the Chinese can take out 200,000 on Union Pay.

So if you need a lot of cash (and your Western bank allows it) then try Citi or the Post Office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.