Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Cards or Cash in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by jamar
There aren't any other banking options in that part of Canada?
As in other banks...? There are but the exchange rate is the same or if its different, the service fee offsets the potential so its a wash.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Oh, that kind of sucks.

I was going to say, if you can make your way to YVR then opening a savings account at ICBK and using that would be be better because of what I mentioned earlier (interbank rate+flat $3 ATM withdrawal fee and better acceptance in Japan) but if you're not mentioning it then it's probably not an option in your case.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:46 pm

If you can make it out to Vancouver, check out Vancouver Bullion and Currency Exchange and Charlie's Currency Exchange. The former will do a debit card transaction whereas the latter only does straight cash (a little sketchy but haven't any probs). Great rates and no fees.

The other option I've used is the no annual fee Chase Amazon.ca CC which doesn't have a forex fee either. If you preload it, you can do a cash advance (no interest with the negative balance) with the Visa Exchange rate and a flat $5 fee.

We got the TD Select Service account with all the travel perks (eg preferred currency exchange, etc) recently but more for the retail banking perks. The preferred exchange rates still pale compared to VBCE and Charlies. They can only come close if you do like a $10k trade.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
Please see the horrible exchange rate for CAD cash in Japan. http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/

Preferred modes of fundings (starting with the lowest cost):

1. No fee USD T/C funded from a USD account
2. No fee CAD T/C
3. CC
4. ATM (Plus and Cirrus)
5. USD cash
6. CAD cash

I have only used 1 ,3, 4, though carry all of the above except #2. Well because in Canada, no Forex CC is hard to find and I don't like the offering. Likewise for ATM.

I also use CC for everything, purchases as little as 500yen.

Chip-and-PIN cards: No problem with Visa/MC everywhere. AMEX rejected by JR ticket machine(MC was ok), accepted at ticketing office - though for different transactions.
So I got TD's exchange rates for T/C's:

JPY T/C
1JPY is 0.01092 CDN

USD T/C
1USD is 1.0449 CDN

I can buy Canadian T/C's with no fee and here's what happens,

The numbers speak for themselves haha.

EDIT: If I go T/C, which bank do I have to find or is there one in T1 at Narita?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
You can also arrange for some solution with HSBC premier banking (they have branches in both Canada and Japan. I have CAD/USD/HKD accounts with them.)
Old Jul 26, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
If you can use the GetRate feature at HSBC to convert currencies then the rate you get will be very tight indeed. Haven't thought of this option to be honest.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:06 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
You can also arrange for some solution with HSBC premier banking (they have branches in both Canada and Japan. I have CAD/USD/HKD accounts with them.)
HSBC Premier pulled out of Japan some time ago.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
A few items I wanted to add on the usage of cards in Japan.

Depending on how large the purchase is (even for small purchases) depending on the store, the store clerk will usually ask (in Japanese) how many payments you would like to make (this is because for Japanese cards there is often times an option to make a 1 time payment, or other type of payment options), with a foreign issued card I think only 1 time payment option only works. You can answer with "1 kai" or just point with your finger gesturing the number 1. Other times the staff might just go ahead and enter it as 1 time payment option default. I remember being confused the first time the staff asked me this, so just be aware that's what they are probably asking you if you gave them a card to pay.

If you have a chip & pin card, they will take the card and put it into the scanner *you don't need to do it yourself, then they will ask you to input your 4 digit pin number (ansho bango 暗証番号). Some machines the cards will pop out after the authorization, other machines the staff will take it out of the reader and then hand you back the card.

Other places don't have readers so they just slide your card and you sign the receipt. Some places do not require you to sign the reciept unless the total cost is over a certain amount (eg convience stores).
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Is 92,000JPY enough for two weeks?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:54 am

Variables abound.

Does that include transport? If it does, where are you planning on going? What do you want to buy?

For example, for myself an average long layover (<24hr) in Japan looks like this:

5-10k yen at a hotel (I don't go for the fancy stuff when alone)
5k yen for meals (I like to try lots of stuff)
5k for transport (Skyliner to/from NRT, Keikyu to/from HND, JR lines within Tokyo proper)
5-80k shopping budget (personal record is hopping on my next flight with a new laptop and camera lens, usually it's a used phone that catches my eye and/or that I can unlock and sell on easily myself, the least I've bought is food/headphones/electronic accessories at Costco- stuff I can't find in the US at the Costco prices I like).

The last part is an enormous variable, as you can see.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Strictly consumables (food/shopping) as hotel and transportation are already addressed (JR Pass).

There's a Costco there?! BRINGING MY CARD!

I don't really look for things while shopping... just buy haha.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by flipstah
There's a Costco there?! BRINGING MY CARD!
The Costcos that serve Tokyo metro are in outlying areas. The ones closest to Tokyo Yamanote loop are in Kawasaki and Chiba, with few more scattered further out. In Kansai, there's one in Amagasaki, Kobe and Yawata.

I have been to the Saitama warehouse at Shinmisato. Nice and new warehouse with many interesting local products, but quite a hike from Tokyo proper. The bag I brought was almost too small for the goods I purchased, but there is a shipping counter in the warehouse after the checkout to ship your purchases home. I really enjoyed the Japan-only paella from the hot foods section.

Costco Locations: http://www.costco.co.jp/p/locations?lang=en
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msb0b
The Costcos that serve Tokyo metro are in outlying areas. The ones closest to Tokyo Yamanote loop are in Kawasaki and Chiba, with few more scattered further out. In Kansai, there's one in Amagasaki, Kobe and Yawata.

I have been to the Saitama warehouse at Shinmisato. Nice and new warehouse with many interesting local products, but quite a hike from Tokyo proper. The bag I brought was almost too small for the goods I purchased, but there is a shipping counter in the warehouse after the checkout to ship your purchases home. I really enjoyed the Japan-only paella from the hot foods section.

Costco Locations: http://www.costco.co.jp/p/locations?lang=en
Bah, Costco is too damn far.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:42 am

I found it acceptable for myself when the main purpose of the trip is shopping (like it often is when I go with my family). To the Makuhari location it's about half an hour on a limited express and another 10 minutes on a local bus. Same with the Kawasaki location (except you don't need to pay an extra limited express charge).

The reason I go to these lengths to go to Costco in Japan? If I buy something there and it breaks, I can take it back to my local Costco when I get back to the US and they'll refund it. I love their global return policy. I should note that yes, I've tried it- my local Costco in rural Montana would take back merchandise I bought at Costco Japan's Makuhari location.

But back to the original question, I'd personally bring an even 100k to leave a little wiggle room. Probably no more than that if you don't like to shop at electronics stores (or Costco- I feel a lot less worried about plunking down 60k yen on a laptop if I know I can take it back to my home Costco if something happens to it within 90 days) or buy fancy designer stuff.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> If I go T/C, which bank do I have to find or is there one in T1 at Narita?

Several currency exchange counters by the banks at the terminal, all similar rates

>> There's a Costco there?! BRINGING MY CARD!

I've been to the one in Kawasaki. You have to take the train and then a local bus. Somewhat tricky if you don't know Japanese when doing the bus.

You can ship your loot back to your hotel or airport for cheap.

>> Is 92,000JPY enough for two weeks?

I typically cash 40 - 50k upon arrival and pile all expenses to credit cards as much as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.