English guide on how to read a Japanese DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

English guide on how to read a Japanese DL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
As a Canadian, which Japan actually has some sort of agreement with, I just handed in my translated copy of my Canadian DL and they issued me within a day my Japanese DL. No written test, no driving test - nothing. Just a reminder that "we drive on the left side of the road" - only have to sit though a safety lecture.

As I was waiting for them to process my paperwork, this poor American and Filipino nanny were getting tested, for the American it was his second time and the Filipino was 5th or something like that.

I felt bad for them - the nanny was so nervous and near panic. The American was so frustrated.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
As it was explained to me, because the driving laws are different in each state, a reciprocal agreement would be required with all 50 states before such an arrangement as that of Japan and Canada could be achieved.

Now that I have passed the test, I see it as a badge of honor, and oppose any efforts to make it easier to get one.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:23 am

Can I drive in Japan with a USA driver's license?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
Can I drive in Japan with a USA driver's license?
You will need an international license in addition to your US license. Get one from AAA. Make sure you bring BOTH documents - international and US license.

The international license can be used for up to a year. If you live in Japan for longer than that, you need to get a Japanese license.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Obviously, if you are not a permanent resident then you can use an intl license indefinitely.

I also never got a clear answer on Official visas where you are not a normal resident, i.e. no resident card. If you are a diplomat then of course you don't get a Japanese license.

This is the main reason that I elected not to get a multi-year visa for Japan.

p.s. I notice that the Japanese always pull the handbrake when they park their cars. They are invariably automatics, so pointless. And risks having your rear calipers (if so equipped) jammed if parked for long duration of time. I am sure that's one thing Americans forget to do on the driving test.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnaget
Obviously, if you are not a permanent resident then you can use an intl license indefinitely.
That is absolutely NOT true.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-drive.html

This is the main reason that I elected not to get a multi-year visa for Japan.
This "precaution" was meaningless. And you are playing with fire by continuing to drive in Japan.

p.s. I notice that the Japanese always pull the handbrake when they park their cars. They are invariably automatics, so pointless. And risks having your rear calipers (if so equipped) jammed if parked for long duration of time. I am sure that's one thing Americans forget to do on the driving test.
Forget everything you know about common sense during the driving test and do things exactly as they want them done. I was in the car with someone who failed at the very end for that very reason.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
That is absolutely NOT true.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-drive.html

This "precaution" was meaningless. And you are playing with fire by continuing to drive in Japan.
I think you misunderstand. I am NOT a resident of Japan. I cannot get a JP license even if I wanted to do so.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you misunderstand. I am NOT a resident of Japan. I cannot get a JP license even if I wanted to do so.
Do you have a residency card or alien registration card (which you would have to have if you enter on anything other than a tourist visa?)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:56 am

Do you have a residency card or alien registration card (which you would have to have if you enter on anything other than a tourist visa?)
I assume gagnet is in a category - diplomatic / US military / Starfleet executive / wookie / MIB etc. - for which exceptions exist to the rules.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
I assume gagnet is in a category - diplomatic / US military / Starfleet executive / wookie / MIB etc. - for which exceptions exist to the rules.
Then he shouldn't make such blanket untruths such as:

Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:27 am

Then he shouldn't make such blanket untruths such as:
It has the potential to be (mis)interpreted in ways that could land a person in trouble but that could be said of most posts that relate to legal matters.
Is it an untruth? I'm not sure.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 3:50 pm

No, I don't have a "gaijin card"/ARC. I enter Japan as a tourist for 90 days; I travel on average every month. (Hence, my interest in FT.) My spouse has an Official visa and likewise does not have an ARC. I could get/ have gotten the same.

If you have Diplomatic or Official visa status then you do NOT get an alien residency card. Hence, you cannot get a driver's license. However, our inquiry re the Official visa status getting a driver's license suggested that it might be possible. Thus, for precaution, my spouse does not drive because of the 1 year/90 day rule that you cited.

Someone like Mr. 5Khours also probably enters on 90 day visas and he appears to be a frequent visitor for years and years, and he does indeed legally drive here with intl driver's license.

I agree that if you have an ARC then you must get the JP license within 1 year. The info from the US embassy (surprise, surprise) is poorly written. It should state that this applies to people who are residents, hold ARCs.

p.s. I earlier said "permanent resident". I suppose you can be a "temporary long-term resident" with an ARC.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

p.s. I earlier said "permanent resident". I suppose you can be a "temporary long-term resident" with an ARC.
"Permanent Resident" is the name of a specific visa status (an 永住権) in Japan, so I assumed that what you were saying was that you could use an international drivers license so long as you do not have this Permanent Resident status. But it sounds like you were using "permanent resident" to describe something different.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I enter Japan as a tourist for 90 days; I travel on average every month. (Hence, my interest in FT.)
You never get stern questioning from the immigration people as to why you keep coming back to Japan as a "temporary visitor?" I know married people who have tried the same thing you did, and it only worked for maybe three or four re-entries before the heat was turned up.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
You never get stern questioning from the immigration people as to why you keep coming back to Japan as a "temporary visitor?" I know married people who have tried the same thing you did, and it only worked for maybe three or four re-entries before the heat was turned up.
No, not at all. Been doing it for two years. I do have a "get out of Christopher Johnson's dungeon for free card", a letter from the government entity that my spouse advises. But I have never used it.

I guess having to renew my passport last summer helped too.

Maybe it also helps that I don't do quick turnarounds to Korea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.