Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: UNITED 1P
I see that the b-mobile listed iphone 5 as a usable advice on their network. Is it safe to assume that it will work with iphone 5s?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by nanirina
I see that the b-mobile listed iphone 5 as a usable advice on their network. Is it safe to assume that it will work with iphone 5s?
Likely so unless the SIM card changed.

Main thing is the ability to enter APN info if you need to.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by nanirina
I emailed them that exact question last week and they refused to explicitly state that the 5S would work OK. I bet they just haven't had a chance to test it yet so it's not official. I'm going to risk it myself next month...
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I am really glad I got a sim from econnectjapan. I was sitting on the train to Nara reading FT when I saw the thread about LH opening up F completely on YYZ-MUC for awards with UA. Booked and ticketed before even reaching Nara and more importantly before Lufty realized its mistake.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:28 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The econnectJapan SIM costs more than bMobile and I just found out the reason -- in an email from econnectJapan, they told me that they use the bMobile SIM card!

So why pay econnectJapan more? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The econnectJapan SIM costs more than bMobile and I just found out the reason -- in an email from econnectJapan, they told me that they use the bMobile SIM card!

So why pay econnectJapan more? Doesn't make sense to me.
The eConnect SIM is good for 30 days while the b-mobile SIM is only good for 14 days.

Not a big deal if you're there for less than 2 weeks, but sucks if you're there for just over 2 weeks.

I was there for just over 15 days. I either could buy 2 a b-mobile SIM and re-up for another $40 or buy one eConnect SIM. Guess which I chose?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Superguy
The eConnect SIM is good for 30 days while the b-mobile SIM is only good for 14 days.

Not a big deal if you're there for less than 2 weeks, but sucks if you're there for just over 2 weeks.

I was there for just over 15 days. I either could buy 2 a b-mobile SIM and re-up for another $40 or buy one eConnect SIM. Guess which I chose?
Exactly. I'm in Japan for 23 days so I bought the eConnectJapan 1gb sim. With three days remaining I've used 600 megs. Perfect choice for me.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:46 pm

The eConnectJapan is a B-mobile LTE sim. The current B-Mobile Visitor sim is 3G. There's some notes here that Nexus 5 North America version doesn't get a signal with a data only 3G sim
http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2013/...h-mvno-3g.html
https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=61918

Of course, one can purchase B-Mobile LTE prepaid sim from Amazon and activate it with a Japanese cell phone instead of purchasing a pre-activated one from eConnectJapan.

The Nexus 5 is confirmed to work with B-Mobile LTE sim but the signal icon function might be broken unless you want to manually patch it or wait for Xposed updated for KitKat + the docomo data sim module.
http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2013/...d-nexus-5.html

Just wanted to put this forth as Nexus 5 might be a popular travel phone.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:51 am

HI Guys,

any recommendations for sim card for data usage or portable wifi?

Regards
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Perhaps there needs to be a wikipost up top?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:50 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the bMobile LTE sim also support 3G? If so, that would be a good reason to get it (that and the 30 day lifespan). I had assumed it was just the standard bMobile sim.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
BMobile LTE SIM specs: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/l_1gb/detail.html
LTE:2100MHz/1500MHz/800MHz
W-CDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA:2100MHz/800MHz

However eConnect website says their SIM card has : Downlink: 7.2 Mbps / Uplink: 5.7 Mbps (best effort)
which are the specs for HSDPA (3G), not LTE.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beep88
BMobile LTE SIM specs: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/l_1gb/detail.html
LTE:2100MHz/1500MHz/800MHz
W-CDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA:2100MHz/800MHz

However eConnect website says their SIM card has : Downlink: 7.2 Mbps / Uplink: 5.7 Mbps (best effort)
which are the specs for HSDPA (3G), not LTE.
It appears they throttle the HSDPA connection. It's still more than fast enough and tolerable for the short term.

Question is - what US LTE phones support the Japanese bands? Most US LTE works in the 700, 2100/1700, and 2500MHz bands.

Granted, as LTE radio tech gets better, there's better support for more bands in a given phone, but most current US models seem to be sparse on the LTE support outside their networks.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Does the bMobile LTE sim also support 3G? If so, that would be a good reason to get it (that and the 30 day lifespan). I had assumed it was just the standard bMobile sim.
If the eConnect/b-mobile SIM is indeed an LTE SIM, I never would have known it as it only attached to the HSDPA network.

I was there in late July/early August, so unless it became an LTE SIM more recently than that, I'd safely say it supports 3G.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by Superguy
It appears they throttle the HSDPA connection. It's still more than fast enough and tolerable for the short term.
B-Mobile (supplier of eConnect SIM) used to advertise their 3G SIM card having 7.2mbps when real life is 1.2 max throughout Japan.

B-Mobile have both 3G and LTE SIM for 1GB limited. LTE SIM would say 4G on the wrapper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.