Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stifle
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MattPol
Anyone know of a source for prepaid Japan NANO SIM cards, i.e. the new smaller size that fits iPhone 5?
Unfortunately, as far as I know, no one is selling these.

Your best bet is going to be cutting down a micro SIM: http://www.miniinthebox.com/aluminiu...i_p444727.html
Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Scifience
Unfortunately, as far as I know, no one is selling these.

Your best bet is going to be cutting down a micro SIM: http://www.miniinthebox.com/aluminiu...i_p444727.html
bMobile released a nano-SIM data only card on January 11. (May work for voice but only certified for data.)
Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
bMobile released a nano-SIM data only card on January 11. (May work for voice but only certified for data.)
That's great news—I have a few friends with iPhone 5s who will be thrilled.

Do you have a link? The only reference to a nano-SIM I can find on their website is for monthly subscriptions including voice service (and thus requiring ID) from back in November:

http://www.j-com.co.jp/news/release/1230.html
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:29 pm

Thank you!

I'm guessing you have to contact them directly? Don't see any way to order on their website.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:43 am

I have been emailing with bMobile, and they state that they are not offering a Nano SIM card for vistors:

Dear MattPol,

Thank you for contacting the b-mobile Helpdesk.
Answers to your questions are provided below.

Unfortunately we do not have the nano-sized sim cards for visitors.

If you have any further questions, please do not
hesitate to contact us here at the b-mobile Helpdesk.
Thank you for your continued support of b-mobile.
b-mobile Helpdesk for visitor(Only in English)
Junko Tanaka
TEL : 03-6721-5032
e-mail : [email protected]
Business hours : Monday - Saturday
7 a.m. to 11 a.m. (Except national holidays)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Thank you!

I'm guessing you have to contact them directly? Don't see any way to order on their website.
Link is here.
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/devices/devices.html?t=1
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I have been emailing with bMobile, and they state that they are not offering a Nano SIM card for vistors
According to the website, you have to upload a scan of a Japanese ID card of some kind in order to apply for it.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
We just travelled to Japan for 10 days and hired 3 1gb data cards for our iphone 4s's. We got two from bmobile and one from econnect. All worked fine for both but I just wanted to say that even though econnect was slightly dearer 4600yen vs 3800 yen (or something like that) their communications were much better than bmobile. Econnect emails were answered promptly by people that speak good english, and I needed help with the settings whilst there (cos I couldn't find my way round the iphone!!) and they replied straight away.

Also econnect were able to deliver a sim card to our hotel within 24 hours notice when I contacted them by email.
BTW we used the skype messaging service to contact each other whilst out and about. We couldn't seem to get the skype voicecalls up and running. Have to work on that now that we are back home. Also you can't hotspot with the cards.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I hotspot with the B-Mobile 1GB (domestic and visitor versions) on iPhone 3GS/4s just fine.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:33 pm

I wound up ordering a NANO SIM (with unlimited 3G) from iPhoneTrip.com, will report back with results.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I bought a micro SIM for my Droid Razr Maxx. It doesn't find a signal. I think this phone, which I now notice is not on the list of known approved phones buried deep on the bMobile site, doesn't transmit/receive on DoCoMo 3G frequencies.

Anyone want an unused SIM that is good until March 29? PM me!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Cardboard
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
And I bought a micro SIM for my Droid Razr Maxx. It doesn't find a signal. I think this phone, which I now notice is not on the list of known approved phones buried deep on the bMobile site, doesn't transmit/receive on DoCoMo 3G frequencies.
This is a known issue with most Android devices - they show no signal but if you have configured the APN settings correctly they will still get a data connection. It gets a mention in the comments of this site.

Sadly I can't find the site I read this on, but apparently this is caused by the bmobile SIM having no voice capability, which is very unusual. Failure to register with the voice part of the network causes Android to show no signal no matter what.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by joejones
According to the website, you have to upload a scan of a Japanese ID card of some kind in order to apply for it.
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/note_1gb_n.html

b-mobile VISITOR SIM 1GB Prepaid Nano SIM card
b-market price : 3,980yen (tax included)

They deliver to hotels or pick-up at the Airport post office.

Seems like pretty straightforward. Check it out.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:05 pm

I'm heading to Japan in 3 weeks with an iPad mini 3G.
Can anyone advise if they have had success cutting down the docomo foam micro sims from econnectjapan? The iPad mini needs a nano sim.

I'm just concerned because somebody told me the sims are the wrong size for cutting down and you just destroy them in the process...

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> This is a known issue with most Android devices - they show no signal but if you have configured the APN settings correctly they will still get a data connection.

Same for my various iPhone's and Sony Ericsson dumb phone but they all worked fine with the B Mobile. Who cares what the signal meter says. However the phones did show the carrier name "DoCoMo". That's the proof that a connection has been made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.