Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by Global1Flyer
To purchase b-mobile AEON SIM cards, you are required ID such as Japanese driver license and Certificate of Alien Registration which showed address in Japan.
So, temporary visitor is not able to purchase.
Thanks for the information, but that's a bummer for temporary visitors. I kind of expected it though.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: JGC,SFC, BestWestern DS, Choice P, HH D, Hyatt Ds, IHG D, Marriott P, Radisson V, Wyndham D, Sixt P
There is new SIM card from b-mobile, named “b-mobile 0Yen SIM” (Data only)
You can purchase at “Yodobashi Camera” all over Japan.

SIM Package 3,150Yen(Card only)

Usage cost per month
0-100MB: 37.8Yen/1MB
100MB-1GB: 3,780Yen (Flat Rate)
If you want to use more than 1GB, You have to set up at online, up to 2GB.

Only one requirement is address in Japan (Not ID).
You need address to receive mail to extend monthly service.
B-mobile will send you letter to verify your address. May be you can use your friend or office address.

To activate card, you need access b-mobile web site with Japanese
This SIM will expire if you don't use 6 months.

b-mobile 0Yen SIM is very useful for who visit Japan on regular basis.
b-mobile will charge how much you use, if you don't, its free.^
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:37 pm

Appreciate the info in this thread.
We're going from Narita (Terminal 1) to Hiroshima on day 1. There doesn't appear to be a Bic Camera or Yodobashi Camera in Hiroshima. And in Narita Terminal 1, there appears to be:
Audio Space
Cameras Taiyodo
Fa-So-La Tax Free Akihabara
docomo World Counter
SoftBank Counter.

Any suggestions, on where I can source a b-mobile data sim in Narita or Hiroshima (and ideally getting the guy at the counter to call in and activate it on his own mobile phone? ).
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I think the easiest Yodobashi to reach from NRT would be the one outside Keisei Ueno Station, at the other end of the Skyliner train. If you have a >4 hour layover you probably have enough time to run into the city and buy the SIM card.

Or if you read Japanese (which you would need to be able to do in order to activate the card anyway) you could order it on the Yodobashi web site.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: UA *G MM
When I looked at the b-mobile website it listed other outlets like Yamada Denki (LABI). I think they are all over Japan.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by freecia
Thanks for the info on how to activate via mobile. I'd wondered if it would send a text msg confirming as some inexpensive rental phones don't offer that function.

Here's the English Amazon link to get the 1 GB full sized SIM card
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-la...language=en_JP
and micro
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E6%97%A5%E6...8066959&sr=1-4

Useful if you're quickly transiting off to less urban areas of Japan. You can still have it shipped with an English checkout system.
Just wanted to report back on my own successful purchase and use of the 1GB b-mobile sim shipped by Amazon.co.jp

Purchase:
It was fairly simple to follow the similar Amazon flow to add it to cart. The only tricky part was filling in the shipping address via "Manage your Address Book" > "Add a Japanese Address". According to the Japanese "Add a Address" page, the address fields accept up to 15 characters each: "You can enter up to 15 characters. If more than 15 characters, please enter divided into 1, 2 address."

When you fill out the shipping page, it will ask for
Full Name:
ZIP/Postal Code: -
Prefecture:
Address Line 1:
(or company name)
Address Line 2:
(optional)
Company Name:
(Optional)
Phone Number:
Sample:
Full Name: <Your name and res id>
ZIP/Postal Code: 160-0023
Prefecture: Tokyo-to
Address Line 1: 新宿区西新宿 3-7-1
(or company name)
Address Line 2:
(optional)
Company Name:
(Optional)
Phone Number: 353221234 ‎
Then add your credit card billing address to the address book via "Add International Address". I used a US issued CC with no issues.

ETA: Thanks gnaget for the address clarification - post 25
jib71 and beep88 for addressee "Full Name" change - post 22, 24 (I would hope that would work for a mixed-tenant type building? Where a hotel is on top of an office complex?)

Shipment receipt:
I had e-mailed the hotel I stayed at (Hotel Trusty Abeno in Osaka's Tennoji area) to let them know that a package was expected. They placed the unopened box in my room along with my luggage I had dropped off before check-in. I had ordered it on April 12. Amazon shipped it April 13 and it arrived at the hotel on April 14.

The box itself has a nice little zip strip pull so you shouldn't need scissors to open it.

Card activation:
Very simple to follow the posted blog instructions and I activated with a free cellphone rental from ANA. It took me 1 minute and 6 seconds. I listened for a few seconds after the activation acknowledgement. The automated message basically tells you it will be activated shortly (5 or 15 min, I forget). No Japanese needed.

I did need to manually add the APN which is printed inside the folder. The fields are written in Japanese, so just write down the info from the blog linked in the first post or take a guess on which field is which (what I did).

Last edited by freecia; Apr 27, 2012 at 7:49 pm Reason: +Japanese addressing
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:45 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
ETA: People more familiar with Japanese addresses, please do chime in there are better ways to fill out the address. This is what I did and the package reached the hotel.
For deliveries to hotels, I would suggest entering your own name and other reference information (dates of stay or reservation number) in the name field.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by joejones
Or if you read Japanese (which you would need to be able to do in order to activate the card anyway)
no you don't. http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/activate_en.html
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
For deliveries to hotels, I would suggest entering your own name and other reference information (dates of stay or reservation number) in the name field.
I always do that, and with the official B-Mobile website, you can schedule the actual delivery. Never wrote to hotel re. my package.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:42 pm

Not sure why you are persisting in writing the address in Japanese if you don't really understand what you are writing. You wouldn't split off the numbers like that. That's like entering a Western address and splitting off the street number on a separate line. And the 3 is integrally connected in defining the 3rd chome of Nishishinjuku (西新宿).

東京都新宿区西新宿 3-7-1 reads "Tokyo-to Shinjuku-ku Nishishinjuku 3-7-1". So you are actually writing Tokyo-to twice. (Nishi means west, btw.)

So if you are writing the address western style then write 3-7-1 Nishishinjuku on the first address line and Shinjuku-ku on the second line and you can do it in English/ romaji. Or you could write both on the same line separated by a comma. That's the recommend way by Japan Post.

Or, I guess you could write 新宿区西新宿 3-7-1 on address line 1.

In practice the zip code will pinpoint the location and then the next critical piece of information is 3-7-1 Nishishinjuku.

Just wanted to report back on my own successful purchase and use of the 1GB b-mobile sim shipped by Amazon.co.jp

You would want to fill it out with both address lines, not everything on address line 1 since Amazon.co.jp will state the address is not valid
Full Name: Park Hyatt Tokyo
ZIP/Postal Code: 160-0023
Prefecture: Tokyo-to
Address Line 1: 東京都新宿区西新宿
(or company name)
Address Line 2: 3-7-1
(optional)
Company Name: <Your name and res id>
(Optional)
Phone Number: 353221234 ‎
Then add your credit card billing address to the address book via "Add International Address". I used a US issued CC with no issues.

ETA: People more familiar with Japanese addresses, please do chime in there are better ways to fill out the address. This is what I did and the package reached the hotel.

I did need to manually add the APN which is printed inside the folder. The fields are written in Japanese, so just write down the info from the blog linked in the first post or take a guess on which field is which (what I did).
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
So if you are writing the address western style then write 3-7-1 Nishishinjuku on the first address line and Shinjuku-ku on the second line and you can do it in English/ romaji. Or you could write both on the same line separated by a comma. That's the recommend way by Japan Post.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was a bit odd to fill out the address form that way, too, and gave both methods you describe a try before I resorted to the number on a separate line to get the form to accept it. Just tried it again with prefecture included and get a "Your request is missing information or needs correcting. Please fix the areas indicated below. When you are done, please press the Continue button to send your information again." error. Nice and cryptic.

Working through it more, I believe there's a 15 character max limit per line. "新宿区西新宿 3-7-1" on address line 1 works. "3-7-1 Nishishinjuku" probably exceeds the character limit and it does not work.

I'm chalking it up to user error + the magic of form validation and will update my original post's example.
ETA: Oh, and as for why, well, I figure better to try it and find out for myself if it will get there or not. Worst that happens is a lost package and some of my own money. Best is being able to get stuff shipped to a hotel so I can shop online before I arrive and hopefully pass on this info so others have options, too.

Last edited by freecia; Apr 27, 2012 at 7:59 pm Reason: +why :)
Old Apr 28, 2012, 9:51 pm

Good to know if I ever order anything from Amazon.jp. I managed Rakuten without problems.

I assumed that Amazon would be designed to accept Romaji addresses. I guess not. Unless your chome has a few letters, I suppose.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was a bit odd to fill out the address form that way, too, and gave both methods you describe a try before I resorted to the number on a separate line to get the form to accept it. Just tried it again with prefecture included and get a "Your request is missing information or needs correcting. Please fix the areas indicated below. When you are done, please press the Continue button to send your information again." error. Nice and cryptic.

Working through it more, I believe there's a 15 character max limit per line. "新宿区西新宿 3-7-1" on address line 1 works. "3-7-1 Nishishinjuku" probably exceeds the character limit and it does not work.

I'm chalking it up to user error + the magic of form validation and will update my original post's example.
ETA: Oh, and as for why, well, I figure better to try it and find out for myself if it will get there or not. Worst that happens is a lost package and some of my own money. Best is being able to get stuff shipped to a hotel so I can shop online before I arrive and hopefully pass on this info so others have options, too.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:21 pm

Wanted to report on my experience...

Decided to purchase the sim on Amazon.jp instead of buying in store. Entered the Hiroshima hotel's address as best as I could using the suggestions earlier in the thread and google translate. For company I put down "my wife's name - reservation number". As part of the shipping options, I asked for it to be delivered the evening we were arriving. My wife emailed the hotel saying that we were going to be expecting a package. Didn't receive a reply.

Seemed to have some probs with my credit card info purchasing from Amazon based on an email I received back from Amazon saying that they were having probs authenticating. I logged back on, messed around with the billing address, etc. Called my CC bank and they said it looked like it went through. Eventually received confirmation from Amazon that my order was being processed through.

Sim arrived at the hotel no prob. The clerk went to grab it when we checked in. Didn't even have to ask.

Called into the helpdesk the next morning to activate the Docomo sim that came in the package. Waited on hold a bit. Got a rep that didn't speak english who put me on hold and grabbed one that did. Very knowledgable guy. Went through a bunch of questions. I had to give him my hotel info as he said he had to call me back to verify stuff. Called me back in about 10mins and said I would be good to go within 30mins.
Outbound Skype call cost me about $0.50. No hotel charge for the helpdesk calling me back.

My unlocked phone had probs using the sim. Eventually figured out it didn't use the same band as Docomo. Got an unlock code for my main phone, configured it, and away I went.

Appreciate all the helpful info on the thread.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:21 am

New "U300 SIM card for visitors" doesn't require activation, and can be purchased with an English website from B-Mobile.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...vered-use.html
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:02 pm

There is another SIM rental/purchase option econnect Japan

Look to be a recent provider. Never came up in my previous searches.

4100 yen for activated SIM or Micro SIM last 30 days with 1GB speed up to 14Mbps and no need to return.

There is also an option to rent a wifi to go device which will need to be returned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.