Wiki Posts
Search

Need suggestions for one city outside Tokyo, at the end of this year

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Need suggestions for one city outside Tokyo, at the end of this year

A friend of mine from London (first time to Japan) and myself (been to Tokyo, twice) will be in Japan from Dec 25-Jan2/3. I was reading online that alot of places close towards the end of the year. So my thoughts today are, see Tokyo from the 25th-29th, then head somewhere from the 29-1st.

What city do you recommend, esp with a spg or hyatt property, based on traffic during that time, a quiet new years, beautiful scenery, etc??

Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:15 am

Kyoto is the first place that comes to mind and would appear to tick all your boxes.

You could take the Shinkansen from Tokyo Station (or Shinagawa Station) which ever is more convenient and be in Kyoto in a little over 2 to 2.5 hours. You can check schedules online at http://www.hyperdia.com/en/ . The Hyatt Regency Kyoto - Review thread link is well regarded, I've stayed twice and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. The Westin also receives favourable reviews.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SandC
Kyoto is the first place that comes to mind and would appear to tick all your boxes.

You could take the Shinkansen from Tokyo Station (or Shinagawa Station) which ever is more convenient and be in Kyoto in a little over 2 to 2.5 hours. You can check schedules online at http://www.hyperdia.com/en/ . The Hyatt Regency Kyoto - Review thread link is well regarded, I've stayed twice and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. The Westin also receives favourable reviews.
Thanks

Westin and Hyatt sold out the night of the 31st in Kyoto. Any other spots? Or I head back on the 31st back to Tokyo. Which way will traffic be the worst. Out of Tokyo on the 29-30 or into? Same thing return, say on the 31st or 1st to Tokyo or back out of Tokyo?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Just checked the trains as well. RT fares for 2 is about $662. Quite a bit for a short trip.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by chanp
Thanks

Westin and Hyatt sold out the night of the 31st in Kyoto. Any other spots? Or I head back on the 31st back to Tokyo. Which way will traffic be the worst. Out of Tokyo on the 29-30 or into? Same thing return, say on the 31st or 1st to Tokyo or back out of Tokyo?
I can't really say which days are going to be busier in terms of travel.

The Granvia which is located in Kyoto Station or the Okura would be other options that are roughly in the same league as Westin/Hyatt.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
What city do you recommend, esp with a spg or hyatt property, based on traffic during that time, a quiet new years, beautiful scenery, etc??
Based on traffic, you shouldn't really travel during that time, period. It's a madhouse as everyone tries to go back to their hometowns. You are essentially guaranteed a quiet New Year's no matter where you go, since everyone in Japan is home or on a family vacation during that time.

Jan. 1st till 3rd is a good time to go temple- or shrine-hopping. New Year's brings out the people in their hatsumode finest and the temples/shrines are well-decorated. It will be crowded though.

A more quiet and relaxing New Year's can be had by going to Hakone and soaking in the hot springs. Unfortunately, I doubt there is any vacancy left at the Hyatt Regency there. You might want to look into the Hyatt Regency Odawara.

Just checked the trains as well. RT fares for 2 is about $662. Quite a bit for a short trip.
That's par for the course. Flying a LCC would only save you maybe $100 at most for that route. The cheapest way to travel would be by bus or local train, but obviously you sacrifice time for money. Be warned that all modes of transportation will be utterly packed during that time no matter the origin and destination, so if you want to travel far, make your reservations ASAP.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Hakone is sold out as well, you were right. If it was avail, would it be easier to get there than to Kyoto? From the looks of it, it's best I stay in Tokyo for all 9 nights. So...what do I do in Tokyo for 9 nights

I

Originally Posted by ninja138
Based on traffic, you shouldn't really travel during that time, period. It's a madhouse as everyone tries to go back to their hometowns. You are essentially guaranteed a quiet New Year's no matter where you go, since everyone in Japan is home or on a family vacation during that time.

Jan. 1st till 3rd is a good time to go temple- or shrine-hopping. New Year's brings out the people in their hatsumode finest and the temples/shrines are well-decorated. It will be crowded though.

A more quiet and relaxing New Year's can be had by going to Hakone and soaking in the hot springs. Unfortunately, I doubt there is any vacancy left at the Hyatt Regency there. You might want to look into the Hyatt Regency Odawara.

I didn't see HR Odawara, is the Hakone and that one the same?

That's par for the course. Flying a LCC would only save you maybe $100 at most for that route. The cheapest way to travel would be by bus or local train, but obviously you sacrifice time for money. Be warned that all modes of transportation will be utterly packed during that time no matter the origin and destination, so if you want to travel far, make your reservations ASAP.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

I can't really say which days are going to be busier in terms of travel.

The Granvia which is located in Kyoto Station or the Okura would be other options that are roughly in the same league as Westin/Hyatt.
Thanks, Ill have a look at the Granvia.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:13 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I think Sapporo might be quite well suited for a trip over new year. Lots of outdoor activities, good winter food (plus the famed sushi of nearby Otaru), easy access onsen...

There is a Sheraton available in Sapporo.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
I think Sapporo might be quite well suited for a trip over new year. Lots of outdoor activities, good winter food (plus the famed sushi of nearby Otaru), easy access onsen...

There is a Sheraton available in Sapporo.
Thanks, let me look at the logistics of getting there. Also, still a bit concerned about the travel crowds.

Again, will the trains be busy going out of Tokyo say on the 29-30th or to Tokyo? If busy out of Tokyo, when will they return? I think I ll come back on the 1st.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:44 am

...Again, will the trains be busy going out of Tokyo say on the 29-30th or to Tokyo? If busy out of Tokyo, when will they return? I think I ll come back on the 1st.
I'd be inclined to take ninja138's advice at face value. I think it's difficult to tell which days will be the busiest. I have travelled to and from Hakata/Fukuoka, Kyoto & Tokyo during the height of the festival season in July without any problems (not sure if the volume of travelers is even close to being the same). My sense is that anyone who was heading home or for a holiday would have already departed Tokyo by the 29-30th.

If you can make cancelable hotel reservations you could try your luck with train tickets once you've arrived in Tokyo (it's possible to purchase tickets/seat reservations at Narita).
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:29 am
Original Poster

I'd be inclined to take ninja138's advice at face value. I think it's difficult to tell which days will be the busiest. I have travelled to and from Hakata/Fukuoka, Kyoto & Tokyo during the height of the festival season in July without any problems (not sure if the volume of travelers is even close to being the same). My sense is that anyone who was heading home or for a holiday would have already departed Tokyo by the 29-30th.

If you can make cancelable hotel reservations you could try your luck with train tickets once you've arrived in Tokyo (it's possible to purchase tickets/seat reservations at Narita).
It seems that I can get tickets with seat reservations now, so I think (??) should be ok? Im thinking 3 days tokyo, 2 kyoto, 2 in osaka and the last 2 back in tokyo before we fly out. For new years im thinking osaka, as it seems bigger?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
For new years im thinking osaka, as it seems bigger?
No point moving hotel from Kyoto to Osaka. If I were you, I'd make Kyoto your base for exploring the region. Make daytrips to Kobe and Nara, for example. You'll see crowds at shrines and temples. Lots of people in traditional dress.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
No point moving hotel from Kyoto to Osaka. If I were you, I'd make Kyoto your base for exploring the region. Make daytrips to Kobe and Nara, for example. You'll see crowds at shrines and temples. Lots of people in traditional dress.
Ok, so would you stay in Kyoto or Osaka if you were to do 4 nights in that region? I see a link above for train schedules, but not sure where to buy them?

I was thinking the Park Hyatt in Tokyo for 3 nights, 25-28th. Then 2 nights at the Westin Kyoto 28-30th, 2 nights at the St Regis or Westin in Osaka, then 2 nights at the Grand Hyatt in Tokyo.

If we made Osaka our base for 4 nights, would it be way different than making Kyoto the base?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.