FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need suggestions for one city outside Tokyo, at the end of this year
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:11 pm
chanp

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS, BA-Gold
Hakone is sold out as well, you were right. If it was avail, would it be easier to get there than to Kyoto? From the looks of it, it's best I stay in Tokyo for all 9 nights. So...what do I do in Tokyo for 9 nights

I

Originally Posted by ninja138
Based on traffic, you shouldn't really travel during that time, period. It's a madhouse as everyone tries to go back to their hometowns. You are essentially guaranteed a quiet New Year's no matter where you go, since everyone in Japan is home or on a family vacation during that time.

Jan. 1st till 3rd is a good time to go temple- or shrine-hopping. New Year's brings out the people in their hatsumode finest and the temples/shrines are well-decorated. It will be crowded though.

A more quiet and relaxing New Year's can be had by going to Hakone and soaking in the hot springs. Unfortunately, I doubt there is any vacancy left at the Hyatt Regency there. You might want to look into the Hyatt Regency Odawara.

I didn't see HR Odawara, is the Hakone and that one the same?

That's par for the course. Flying a LCC would only save you maybe $100 at most for that route. The cheapest way to travel would be by bus or local train, but obviously you sacrifice time for money. Be warned that all modes of transportation will be utterly packed during that time no matter the origin and destination, so if you want to travel far, make your reservations ASAP.