FUK check in time (going to PVG)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FUK check in time (going to PVG)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
It really depends on the taxi company. Some of the larger ones in the cities have started to equip their taxis with the necessary credit card machines, however the percentage compared to the total taxi fleet is rather small. I have walked down taxi lines just to find a taxi that would take a credit card or PiTaPa; it's maybe one or two out of ten in Osaka. Japanese tend to prefer paying in cash, followed by the vouchers and then the IC cards/phones. Credit cards are rarely used, although the popularity is steadily increasing.

Originally Posted by travellerK
I hate changing money, but I changed enough money so that I can pay for a Taxi from the Shin Osaka station to the Osaka Hilton next week. I don't want to go through this again.
Actually it is a lot cheaper and just as easy to take the JR train from Shin-Osaka station to Osaka station. The Osaka Hilton is right across the street or if you so choose, you can take an escalator to the underground mall and walk across to the basement of the Hilton.

Last edited by ninja138; Nov 12, 2010 at 10:09 am
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ninja138

Actually it is a lot cheaper and just as easy to take the JR train from Shin-Osaka station to Osaka station. The Osaka Hilton is right across the street or if you so choose, you can take an escalator to the underground mall and walk across to the basement of the Hilton.
Thank you, I really appreciate the help. Of all the forums I've been on in FT, the Japan one seems to be the most helpful.

At the risk of this thread needing to be renamed, "TravellerK's trip to Japan - minute by minute how to get around", I am going to ask a follow up.

I actually have the JR Railpass, so the train to Osaka shouldn't cost me anything. I am surprised then that my Japanese travel planner would have sent me by taxi rather than train if the train is just as convenient.
Is it possible that bogged down with luggage from a two week trip (including all the cheap stuff I bought to bring back from China), that then the walking from the train to the hotel would not be so easy or convenient?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Is it possible that bogged down with luggage from a two week trip (including all the cheap stuff I bought to bring back from China), that then the walking from the train to the hotel would not be so easy or convenient?
Alighting from a taxi at the door to the hotel is likely more convenient than dragging your luggage down an escalator, through a turnstile and across the road (or using the underground passage, as Ninja suggests). Not by much, though.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 8:07 pm

I actually have the JR Railpass, so the train to Osaka shouldn't cost me anything. I am surprised then that my Japanese travel planner would have sent me by taxi rather than train if the train is just as convenient. Is it possible that bogged down with luggage from a two week trip (including all the cheap stuff I bought to bring back from China), that then the walking from the train to the hotel would not be so easy or convenient?
As jib71 mentioned, your travel planner was probably prioritizing your convenience over speed or expense. From your description, I imagine you are lugging around a 28 in. suitcase weighing maybe 20 pounds. If you rather not deal with any drama, I suggest you take a taxi.

If you are the more adventurous or cheapskate type (like me), take the JR train. When you get off at Osaka station, you want to aim for the escalators in the center of the platform. Once you are at the bottom, go through the ticket gates that will be to your immediate right or left (depending on what platform you got off). This should be the Central Exit (中央口). Once the station staff sees your JR pass and waves you through, take an immediate right and start walking south. Dead ahead you should see a wide staircase heading down; go around it and walk in between the Daimaru department stores. Enter the entrance of Daimaru to either your left or right; there should be elevators right next to the entrances on both sides. Go down to the basement and then exit out to the underground mall. Continue walking south then take the first right possible. At the end of this narrow walkway, take a left and go straight. You should see the west entrance to the Hanshin Umeda rail station to your left and a McDonald's ahead of you. Angle right past the McDonald's and the Hilton's basement is in front of you.

Another way is instead of turning left or right to take Daimaru's elevator is to continue walking south until you reach a circle driveway with a bunch of taxis. Pass the driveway to the right until you reach the street corner. Cross the street and then make an immediate right. The Hilton will be to your left.

If these directions are too confusing or the ongoing construction somehow changed the route and turned you around, just ask anyone to point you to the tourist information center that's outside the southeast corner of the station. The people inside will make sure you get to the Hilton. If you want food recommendations, let me know. I know Umeda like the back of my hand.

Last edited by ninja138; Nov 14, 2010 at 8:17 pm
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ninja138
As jib71 mentioned, your travel planner was probably prioritizing your convenience over speed or expense. From your description, I imagine you are lugging around a 28 in. suitcase weighing maybe 20 pounds. If you rather not deal with any drama, I suggest you take a taxi.

If you are the more adventurous or cheapskate type (like me), take the JR train.
I asked my travel planner why she didn't send me straight to Osaka station. She wrote back, "It's a confusing station Osaka- and you need to know where to exit to get to the hotel easily.

If you go up the wrong staircase, you need to go back down and cross over...
"

(FWIW, CA weighed my luggage it is close to 35 Kg).

In any case, when I got to KIX, the next train to Shin Osaka wasn't leaving for 45 minutes, but there was a train to Osaka leaving in less than 10, so I figured I could save time and money. Unfortunately, I did not have your directions yet and my planner was right. It took some wandering around to get there, but I made it (actually I used Google maps on my cell phone to find the place).

Thanks again for all the help,
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:44 pm

In any case, when I got to KIX, the next train to Shin Osaka wasn't leaving for 45 minutes, but there was a train to Osaka leaving in less than 10, so I figured I could save time and money. Unfortunately, I did not have your directions yet and my planner was right. It took some wandering around to get there, but I made it (actually I used Google maps on my cell phone to find the place).

Thanks again for all the help,
Oops! Sorry, should have replied faster. Actually, I thought we were coming in Osaka via the bullet train. Had I known that you were coming into KIX, I would have suggested the airport limo bus as the best and cheapest way.

Anyhow, glad you were able to make it all right. And now you are an Osaka station expert too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.