Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyoto or Kyoto/Hiroshima?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Kyoto or Kyoto/Hiroshima?

I have three days to myself in early December while on a 10 day trip to Tokyo (Wed-Fri) and am thinking of good/budget trips outside of Tokyo. This will be my first trip to Japan and I don't speak/read/write any Japanese.

From all the posts, I thought Kyoto would be a nice place to visit. The best deal I found was at http://www.japanican.com/special/shinkansen/. It's about 24900 Yen for a two day trip (train + hotel). That leaves me with an extra unplanned day. On the same website I saw a nicely planned three day trip to Kyoto/Hiroshima but at 45600 Yen (shinkasen + 3 * hotels) that does not seem like a good deal anymore. I think I can package myself one for about 37900 Yen (JR pass + 2 * hotels). I really don't care for the * rating of the hotels. Just a quiet/clean place to crash.

I was wondering if I should bite on the Kyoto/Hiroshima deal? or are there things to do/see for three days in Kyoto? If I choose Kyoto/Hiroshima having a travel agent deal with the bookings for the extra cost, is it worth it? (I don't know any Japanese and don't care for 3* hotels)? Any suggestions?

TIA
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you really want to visit Hiroshima then you should go.
If you're only considering going because you're in the general area, then I'd suggest foregoing it.

The Sunrise Tour you linked to will allow you to be more flexible than it shows.
My assumption is that you are travelling alone. If so, then the two day ticket (early or late departure with the Hikari Shinkansen) is 19,900yen with a single supplement of 6,000yen - 25,900.

You can avail yourself of the provided hotel for one night, book yourself somewhere else for the second night and get a Hikari bullet train back to Tokyo - they will allow you to adjust your return date so that you have an extra day when booking.
It isn't the bargain it is for 2 people travelling together, but it still makes sense as you effectively get a night's accommodation thrown in with the cost of a return trip.
There are quite a few places within Kyoto where you can stay for 3,000yen a night and under.

Is there enough to see in Kyoto for three days?
Absolutely! My opinion is that you need three days at the very least in order to scratch the surface of this city.

I understand the temptation to get a 7 day JR pass and go further afield, after all, you'd only be spending a little more to accomplish this. However, you only have three days. Make the most of them, don't spend them in the trains just because you can.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I tend to agree. That 2 day/ 1 night special lets you arrange your return any time you want. I'd just stay an extra day in Kyoto and book my own hotel for the second night. Kyoto has far too much to see to cram it all into two partial days. A nice business hotel will only add 6,000 to 9,000 yen to your total. Couple that with a 1-day bus/subway pass and see some of the sights on your own. If you are not sure where to go, the Tourist Information Center on the 9th floor of Kyoto Station has english speaking staff who will give you a tourist map and other information and help you decide. Kyoto is actually one of the easiest places for a first-timer to navigate and enjoy.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
You can also take the train to Nara if you get bored in Kyoto. I've been to Kyoto twice and there is still one place I want to go. Or you could go down to Osaka for the day. It's lovely too.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:50 am
Original Poster

The 2day/1night option with ability to change the return date seems good.

Unfortunately, the website does not seem to give the option to change the return date, atleast until the point it asks for the credit card information. Does it allow to change the date, after I put in the credit card information?

I also called them on the phone. The lady said that they do not allow to change the return date when booking for two day/one night, but will allow to change the return date if booking for two or more nights. Well that is what I understood...

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:01 am
Original Poster

I put in some dummy info to see if website will allow me to change return date prior to purchase. Unfortunately it doe not present an option. So between website and lady at the office that told me on the phone I can change return date for reservations of two or more nights only, I am stuck with not being able to change the return date.

Any suggestions? Is there anyone specific I could request to speak with at the office?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by megabyte1024
I put in some dummy info to see if website will allow me to change return date prior to purchase. Unfortunately it doe not present an option. So between website and lady at the office that told me on the phone I can change return date for reservations of two or more nights only, I am stuck with not being able to change the return date.

Any suggestions? Is there anyone specific I could request to speak with at the office?
You can book a Sunrise tour with IACE. Contact them http://www.iace-usa.com/ or Iace.co.jp and ask them to book it for you that way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.