Wiki Posts
Search

Your favorite Tokyo hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Your favorite Tokyo hotel

As part of a 19 day trip we will be spending about 4 nights in Shinjuku and 3 nights someplace else in tokyo ( likely near TOkoyo Station)

What are your favorite hotels, given the following precedence:
1) Location
2) Cost
3) Swankyness

I wish I could afford someplace like the Park Hyatt, but alas I don't feel like blowing all our cash in two nights. We will stay at plenty of Ryokans and Onsen elsewhere, so a Western style recommendation is appreciated.

Also not looking for a hostel. However, the more value the better

Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I suggest the Marunouchi Hotel.
(1) About as well located as it's possible to be in the Tokyo station area
(2) Way cheaper than the de-luxe properties
(3) Quite fancy looking - although room sizes are really just "high end bijiness hotel"
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: Dirt
For Shinjuku, Keio Plaza and Hyatt Regency are quite nice and reasonably priced. They are a bit far from the Shinjuku station, but sit right atop the Tochomae station of Oedo subway line.

Sunroute Plaza is another step down in price and conveniently located near the train station.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I quite like the Hilton but the Hyatt regency is nice too (used to be Century Hyatt).

I like the Park Hyatt a lot but it is quite expensive.

(I used to have an office in Shinjuku and stayed at the above mentioned hotel a lot !)
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

Conrad is a lovely hotel, and has quite a range of transportation alternatives.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mitsui Garden Hotel in Ginza is well located and is priced in the middle!
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Call me strange but the only central Tokyo hotel I would personally choose is the Prince Shinjuku at Seibu Shinjuku station. No interest to stay in nishi-Shinjuku wastelands when one can enjoy the urban pulse of Kabukicho and nearby areas.

On the other hand, I'd much rather stay in the suburbs. Kamakura or environs come to mind. Or then someplace west of Shinjuku with rail access to the latter.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
This comment isn't directed at the OP; who may just enjoy hotel hopping.

Tokyo Station to Shinjuku is a 15 minute train journey. It's the same travel time as, say, riding the local from 86th and Lexington to Union Square.

I think people get carried away with the idea of Tokyo as a vast sprawling metropolis and think they need a two-centre vacation just to get the best out of it.

This is partly true; Tokyo is a sprawl, but the truth of the matter is that most tourists probably aren't going to set foot in Setagaya-ku never mind the far end of Hachioji or whatever.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:02 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Hilton, Keio Plaza, and Hyatt at Shinjuku are all feeling the heat from the strong yen. As a result, rooms at Y14-20,000 a night can be found at all of them, and they are all quite decent hotels.

If you choose the Keio Plaza, be sure to join their free club online sufficiently in advance to get the card. You'll get perks like breakfast, etc.

Both the Hyatt and Hilton run regular free shuttle service to and from Shinjuku station.

Mosburger may like being right near kabukicho, but I sure don't! Also, although I've never seen a room at the Shinjuku Prince, I would be very surprised if it wasn't half the size of the above-mentioned hotels at much the same price.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:10 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I'm a regular at the Hyatt Regency. I'll be back there a week from Monday.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
THanks for the offerings thus far! I will be researching all of these this weekend.

One person commented on staying at 2 different hotels. I normally wouldnt stay at 2 in one city, but the first 4 nights is at the beggining of the trip- the last 2 nights is at the end of the trip.

Since Tokyo station is close enough to Shinjuku- I am a open to recommendations anywhere in the Tokyo metro area.

This is our first trip to Japan- so the more help the better
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Or if you want to do something different, try a Capsule Hotel. www.hgpshinjuku.jp

It is a very unique experience.

Or a love hotel. www.happyhotel.jp

Unique in its own different way.

Neither is very expensive.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
It is a very unique experience.
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Unique in its own different way.
Like a starry summer night or a snow covered winter's day?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
I've stayed at the Prince Akasaka Hotel more than a few times and loved it. Bigger rooms, bigger bathrooms (as in normal-ish sized Western bathrooms ) and spectacular skyline views (particularly anything above floor 30). The bar/restaurant on the top floor also offers great views while having a nightcap. You can usually secure a room for about ~130k Y/Per Night. And if you sign up for the Prince Hotel Club (which is free) you are granted a fairly significant savings, to boot.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Park Hyatt is a fantastic hotel in Tokyo. Really good location, very very swanky but unfortunately pretty pricey too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.