changing money at NRT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

changing money at NRT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I agree with the other posters. If you are with two other couples, then it should be easy for the driver to stop along the way for you to withdraw money from an ATM. I usually get some yen at the airport and then along.

I am definitely with the gyoza and beer for every meal. I even was having gyoza and beer for breakfast in Nikko. The waitresses at the spot across from the expensive hotel we were staying at loved us. They'd just start bringing gyoza as soon as they saw us come in the door.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Originally Posted by trekker
First full day in Tokyo, then on to Hakone, Takayama, Kanazawa, Miyama-cho, Naoshima, Kyoto, Kurashiki (with day trip to Bizen), last day in Osaka.
Wait a second, that isn't exactly rural. Small cities, but not rural. You can easily find Japan Post ATMs and 7 Elevens along the way in Tokyo, Hakone, Takayama, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Kurashiki, and Osaka. There are also Citibanks and Shinsei Banks in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka. You shouldn't have problems withdrawing 30000 yen each time for spending cash. As others have pointed out though, you can easily keep spending per day under 10000 yen.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
If I can jump in on this thread -

I am flying EWR - YYZ - NRT / HND-NGS

I need 3000 Yen for the bus from NRT-HND

My connection time in Tokyo is a little tight (3:20 if all is on schedule) and is a drop better in YYZ (1:48)

Is it practical/should I consider changing currency in YYZ? (Is NRT currency changing fast enough?)

Thanks,
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by travellerK

My connection time in Tokyo is a little tight (3:20 if all is on schedule) and is a drop better in YYZ (1:48)

Is it practical/should I consider changing currency in YYZ? (Is NRT currency changing fast enough?)

Thanks,
You will get a better rate at NRT but there are paperwork involve and ID verification with these transactions in JPN which will slow down the Japanese efficiency. Using the NRT ATM for Yen withdraws are fast and painless but you have to check your bank for the cost involved.

I do remember there are money changers airside at YYZ although I never used them. You just hand over your money, they check the bills and give you your Yens.

Are you flying in and out of the same terminal at YYZ? If you are all *A flights they are all in T1. If you are not arriving and departing from the same terminal you have less leeway.

Last edited by tentseller; Oct 18, 2010 at 12:03 pm Reason: clarification
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by travellerK

Thanks,
For such a small amount, I'd go with the method with which you feel most comfortable. If that is the exchangers, so be it. I've used them once. There is a form which requires your name, hotel, etc. and they look at your passport and tell you the amount of yen that you'll receive. If you agree, the transaction is completed. There was no line when I did it. All in, it took about 5 minutes.

FWIW the limosine bus company accepts credit cards. Conversely, you could also buy the tickets beforehand http://www.iace-usa.com/us/index.php...fers&Itemid=59 and not worry about it.

I've never purchased those tickets in that manner before but I've yet to have a problem with the rail passes so I imagine that it is a similar process.

Cheers,
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Are you flying in and out of the same terminal? If you are all *A flights they are all in T1. If you are not arriving and departing from the same terminal you have less leeway.
He said he needs to transfer airports, so the terminals don't matter.

Can one of the Tokyo FTers verify if the limo bus ticket counters take international cards? That would solve this problem quickly.

Originally Posted by Oreto
Conversely, you could also buy the tickets beforehand http://www.iace-usa.com/us/index.php...fers&Itemid=59 and not worry about it.
I'm not sure if those FIT ticket coupons are valid for the NRT-HND bus route. I couldn't find an answer on the website.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by ninja138
Can one of the Tokyo FTers verify if the limo bus ticket counters take international cards? That would solve this problem quickly.
Credit Cards
Payment by major credit cards accepted at following ticketing counters.

Tokyo City Air Terminal
Shinjuku Station
Haneda Airport
Narita Airport

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/information/

Limousine bus even accepts Union Pay... bless its little cotton socks.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:02 pm

Completely missed that page. I drilled down straight to the timetable/fares page, oops.

@travellerK
I would just pay via credit card at the limo bus ticket counters in Narita. Even if you got one of the vouchers from IACE, you still have to go to the counter anyway to exchange for a ticket.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Thanks guys!!!

Credit Card is definately the way to go.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
You will get a better rate at NRT but there are paperwork involve and ID verification with these transactions in JPN which will slow down the Japanese efficiency. Using the NRT ATM for Yen withdraws are fast and painless but you have to check your bank for the cost involved.
There's not much paperwork involved when changing money at NRT and they are very efficient, it only takes a few minutes for the whole process.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by ltp711
There's not much paperwork involved when changing money at NRT and they are very efficient, it only takes a few minutes for the whole process.
It really depends. If there is no line and you know how to fill out the forms, it will take 3 minutes at most. The norm, however, is 20-30 minutes because there are several people in line, you didn't fill out the form correctly and was sent back to write up a new one, the more stringent clerks takes their time copying the ID info down (or in the most extreme cases wants to make a photocopy of the passport), etc.

Considering the OP for this particular discussion doesn't want even waste a minute sweating out the transfer from NRT to HND, it's best that he just CC the bus ticket. Exchange rate will probably be better anyway, even considering the international transaction fee Visa/MC will slap on.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by trekker
Obviously, an ATM is not going to give me $3k
It will if your home bank allows it. The lowest per-transaction withdrawal limit I've seen at an ATM in Japan is JPY500,000, which is over US$6000. So, if your card has an unusually-high daily limit, be sure to double-check the number of zeros you enter when making a withdrawal or you might be in for a surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.