Wiki Posts
Search

What to do in Kobe / Osaka?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

What to do in Kobe / Osaka?

Hi,

I am traveling to Kobe & Osaka in 1 week (will stay for 1 week only) and I would like to know what should I not miss there

What to buy here? and where? And also where to eat best in the 4000-5000 yen range?

I've seen there are some attractions like the Castle, where else should I go?

I also wanna know if its possible to see a Sumo Wrestling in this time!

Also, feel free to drop anything you recommend to do/see here. Its my first time in Japan! I've read some topics here but still looking to know more

Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
If you have a free day, Koya san would be a nice place to go. The Osakajo is nice to walk up to. The structure itself is concrete with an elevator inside.

For food, the teppanyaki place in Hotel Granvia over the JR Osaka station is very nice but closer to 15K yen. There are many eating places in the walking streets just to north and east of the Nankai Namba station, of every type and price points. Don't miss the smaller places in the back alleys. Places on the front streets tend to be mass market oriented but back alley tend to be nice traditional places. Sept is a little to eat fugu but this is a place on the main street in Nipponbashi just to the east of Namba. You can't miss it, it has a huge fugu out front.

For traditional night spots, Kitashinji just to the south of the JR Osaka station would be the place. There are many bars and what not north of Namba. For more raunchy places, they are around the Hankyu Juso station and at Sakuragawa to the west of Namba.

Kobe is a narrow strip between the bay and Roko mountain. Busy place would be Nishinomiya. There is a large shopping complex on the way to Kobe off the JR Amagasaki station. There are many restaurants on both sides of this station.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:27 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

No sumo in Osaka then, the one tournament held in Osaka is in March each year.

Osaka castle is nothing special, although when I visited the grounds had a lot of homeless (look for the blue tarps). I'd normally suggest Himeji Castle instead but I believe it is still under renovation; although open, there is scaffolding all over it.

Since it's your first time in Japan, the standard advice in this forum is to skip Osaka and stay in Kyoto instead.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 1:11 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The Aki Basho Grand Sumo Tournament is going on right now in Tokyo. It will end next Sunday and the wrestlers will then have a break in schedule so you will not even have access to a touring regional event. Tough timing. If you arrive before Sunday, you can at least watch the action on TV. It is broadcast from 4:00 to 6:00 pm on NHK. For the closing day on Sunday, it will run a bit longer to include the award ceremony.

I second the advice to change your stay to Kyoto, which is very near Osaka. If you can't change, at least make plans to ride the train into Kyoto for a daytrip or two during your stay. Another day can be very well spent on a daytrip to the other nearby ancient city of Nara.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA, NW
You're asking very elementary questions, all of which are answered in every standard guidebook.

Have you bought one yet? If not, why not?

US$35 as a guidebook for a trip that will cost thousands of dollars is hardly a major expense.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:52 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by ksandness
If not, why not?
I think I just heard an evil hiss.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a very nice boulangerie in Kobe called Comme Chinois
http://www.comme-chinois.com/Boulangerie/ please try to get there in the morning as they sell out quickly!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by jib71
I think I just heard an evil hiss.
Ah, thanks for that. We just don't get enough Charlie Daniels anymore.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 4:04 pm

My suggestion will be for you to make a couple of day trips to Kyoto, or if you can, stay in Kyoto for a couple of nights. Kyoto, in my opinion, is one of the must see places in Japan. Enjoy the Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji, Byodo-in, Tofukuji, Inarisan, Kiyomizudera and the numerous other temples/shrines.

Another day trip worth making is to the ancient Japanese capital of Nara. It can be a half day trip and I think you will enjoy the laid back atmosphere and the historical sites there.

If you have time, make an overnight trip to Kobe and try to enjoy the hot springs of Arima Onsen. An onsen experience is again in my opinion, a must for any Japan visitor.

As for food, Osaka is the food capital of Japan. Try the Kaiseki dinner and the other mom and pop stores in the Nihonbashi and Namba areas. The price varies all over the place, so use your wallet to guide you. Remember, Osaka natives are crazy about their Takoyaki, so enjoy them from the street vendors. If you like crabs, then the Kanidorku is a great place to eat. It is slightly expensive but was very much enjoyed by me the last time I was there.

If you are into sushi and are feeling adventurous, then I recommend that you visit a sushi place and order their Omakase or Chef's special. It is usually an adventure for me because there are usually items that I have not had before. These are exotic seafood that are fresh and in season, which the chef had selected to order that week.

Osaka is also the capital of the "hentai" side of Japan. Most of these places do not accept foreigners, but there are some that will let foreigners in, but for a premium of course.

Above all, have fun!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I liked to see very different options to do in there. I will definitely try to give Kyoto a visit and of course I'll read a general guide ... If you have more please add on, this should be a very interesting experience!

Since I will be at work for most of the days (will only get the weekends to go out, I definitely want to know what are good options to do in the nights a well, please let me know if you have some good advices for that as well
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:35 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Ziz0u10
Since I will be at work for most of the days (will only get the weekends to go out, I definitely want to know what are good options to do in the nights a well, please let me know if you have some good advices for that as well
Since you'll be working, hopefully you'll get a chance to go out with your Japanese co-workers. There are thousands of places to go for food and entertainment, you're better off going with a local who has local knowledge.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:56 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyer123456789
....As for food, Osaka is the food capital of Japan....
Uh...and what does that make Tokyo, chopped liver?
Old Sep 22, 2010, 3:30 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Uh...and what does that make Tokyo, chopped liver?
Yes. And Kyoto is offal.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by nishimark
Since you'll be working, hopefully you'll get a chance to go out with your Japanese co-workers. There are thousands of places to go for food and entertainment, you're better off going with a local who has local knowledge.
Definitely! If you have never been to Japan before, you have no idea how many places there are to eat and drink in the average city. When I first arrived as a student many years ago, I wondered if anyone ever ate at home-- that's how many restaurants there are.

The locals know where the best places are and often take you to wonderful establishments that aren't in the guidebooks and don't look very promising from the outside. Great food and atmosphere may lie behind a boring concrete facade.

If you're in Japan on business, your Japanese counterparts will almost certainly take you out for dinner and drinks at least once, if not several times.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Although the professional sumo tournament is going on in Tokyo, it is possible that an amateur bout or exhibitition is going on locally in the Kansai area. You would need someone local to check in with the Osaka Gymnasium or Sakai Ohama Sumo stadium though.

I could give you a list of places and things you can do out of work in the area, as I have lived there (and was just there last week); but you give no clues as to where your interests lie or what you would like to see. As mentioned, starting with a guidebook and asking for more details or suggestions based on what you have read would be the best.

Last edited by ninja138; Sep 23, 2010 at 11:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.