Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL Auckland service

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:49 am
Original Poster

JAL Auckland service

I will soon be starting to travel a few times a year to Auckland and whilst a direct service is preferred, the current Oneworld routing from Tokyo would be via HKG, SYD etc.

Based on flyertalk user’s knowledge/experience, do you think JAL would ever launch a direct service?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I would doubt it. Though Tokyo is on a reasonably good route for a connection point to Europe.
Voda_boy likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:16 pm

ANA could launch Auckland. NZ is Star Alliance Territory
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, NH SFC, JL JGC, ITA Executive, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Didn’t JAL fly to Auckland way back?

I think that’s why Air New Zealand condeshared with JAL for a long time, even for few years after most other Star Alliance members “moved under one roof” to South Wing of Terminal 1 at Narita
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by rtaguchi
Didn’t JAL fly to Auckland way back?

I think that’s why Air New Zealand condeshared with JAL for a long time, even for few years after most other Star Alliance members “moved under one roof” to South Wing of Terminal 1 at Narita
They did indeed fly to Auckland, the only reason I know is that among the memorabilia in the new F lounge in Narita, is a commemorative letter from the opening of the route. I seem to remember the Air New Zealand logo on thst as well, but maybe that is just my imagination. I'll look for a year and date next time I am in the lounge.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They did indeed fly to Auckland, the only reason I know is that among the memorabilia in the new F lounge in Narita, is a commemorative letter from the opening of the route. I seem to remember the Air New Zealand logo on thst as well, but maybe that is just my imagination. I'll look for a year and date next time I am in the lounge.
Not your imagination! Nov 28 1989. Some helpful soul posted photos of the displays.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...&postcount=170
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Voda_boy
I will soon be starting to travel a few times a year to Auckland and whilst a direct service is preferred, the current Oneworld routing from Tokyo would be via HKG, SYD etc.

Based on flyertalk user’s knowledge/experience, do you think JAL would ever launch a direct service?
they used to, in the “bubble era”.
doesnt make much business sense to do this route, with the fortress star alliance presence, no reasonable onward connection opportunities, and presence of a OW partner on the route.
Your best strategy would depend on what OW status you currently hold and what cabin you primarily expect to fly.

Economy cabin with no OW status - better switch to star alliance (more choices of flights on NH/NZ/OZ/TG/SQ)
Economy cabin with sapphire or above OW status - better fly CX/JAL for the Hong Kong/Tokyo/Sydney lounges
Business cabin with no OW status - better switch to star alliance (and qualify for gold/diamond)
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Not your imagination! Nov 28 1989. Some helpful soul posted photos of the displays.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...&postcount=170
I did remember posting the pictures, but could not remember if I had a picture of the Auckland route. So I wanted to check my photo stock
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
It does not look like there is enough demand between New Zealand and Japan for two airlines. JAL actually did fly to AKL, the service started on July 4, 1980 NRT-NAN (Fiji)-AKL using DC-8. 1989 JAL started codeshare with NZ on NRT-AKL and terminated JAL's own flight to AKL. JAL and NZ continued codeshare after NZ joining Star Alliance and JAL joining OneWorld. However, 2011 NZ switched codeshare partner to ANA, Star Alliance partner.

There seems to be no rumors of JAL resuming AKL service on its own and ANA looks like no intention to start their own service either.
Voda_boy and Tokyoite like this.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Aug 5, 2019 at 10:57 am
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
There is a slot for overnight slot from HND that the Japanese airlines haven't used. If Australia doesn't get any additional slots, I can see JL going after AKL instead in the future, but probably not anytime soon. JL has been trying to use overnight slots more recently, with the LHR and MNL-HND flights.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:19 pm

The current bilateral air services agreement only allows one Japanese carrier to operate between NZ and Tokyo. That is currently ANA on codeshare with Air NZ. Under the current regime JAL could fly to New Zealand out of any other Japanese city, but not Tokyo.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Top of climb
The current bilateral air services agreement only allows one Japanese carrier to operate between NZ and Tokyo. That is currently ANA on codeshare with Air NZ. Under the current regime JAL could fly to New Zealand out of any other Japanese city, but not Tokyo.
Thanks for this insight - I think it's a bit of a shame that "one Japanese carrier" is used up by a codeshare arrangement rather than an actual flight (although I know absolutely nothing about the legalities of codeshare arrangements!).
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Voda_boy
Thanks for this insight - I think it's a bit of a shame that "one Japanese carrier" is used up by a codeshare arrangement rather than an actual flight (although I know absolutely nothing about the legalities of codeshare arrangements!).
it’s business sense. You see a one off flight of convenience, the carriers see weekly seat capacity to fill (in both directions).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.