Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Advice kindly sought • JAL F (LHR-HND) • Maximising Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for taking time to read this post -- I do appreciate it.

I will be taking my 81-year-old mother to Japan in three weeks' time, flying JAL F for the first time from Heathrow to Haneda.

I just wondered if any FTers had any tips for maximizing the experience? I wish to spoil my mother rotten, you see, mainly as she has just been let go by a large car company for little beyond pure ageism, so she's quite upset about this enforced change, hence my wish to get the most out of what might well be her only JAL F experience. Any advice or tips would be warmly welcomed.

All the best and many thanks again for reading this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
That's so nice of you! And wow, working at 81! That's amazing!

As for tips - I haven't done the LHR-HND route, but the JAL planes are hot. Last few flights I took were around 80 degrees in the cabin (yes, I bring a thermometer). Bring a fan if she is sensitive to hot/cold temperatures.

You can eat meals together - just let the FA know and they can set it up. Your backrest will be the TV though.

There is a "hard" and "soft" side to the mattress pad.

The FA's tend to be less hands on in terms of checking on you, so if you need something, don't be shy to press the button.
Scoob72 and DeathSlam like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Lavs are on the left (A/D) so might pick a seat on that side to minimize the distance. Among the two lavs, the one of the outside (left) is a little larger. Don't forget little things if this is her first time in First- changing board in the lavs, remote controls, seat functions.

If you prefer to converse, the center pair are better for that, but if she likes looking out the window, I'd choose that instead.

Before the flights, look at the menus online for both F and J. If there's something she likes on the J menu, don't be afraid to ask if it's possible. Same with J/Y snack packets since those aren't always placed in the F galley area.

Above all, I'd say remember that it's about being comfortable. The seat can be made up as a bed at anytime or multiple times, meal services can be rearranged and as little or as much eaten as desired, and use the provided pajamas (or bring your own loungewear) instead of street clothes.

Good luck!
Scoob72 and DeathSlam like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:05 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Just flew this last week, best flight of my life. To my surprise, the cabin was not super warm, and I am sensitive to warm cabins. Had bought a USB fan but did not need it.

4 FA's for 8 seats means superlative service, English can be limited outside of their set sentences but I always was understood. They were regularly checking on me throughout the flight.

Use the CX lounge in T3 before your flight.

You are going to have an amazing experience. I have never eaten so much on board an airplane the Japanese meal ex-LHR was fantastic, I hear the ex-HND is even better!
Scoob72 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Sometimes they have put the Shiseido Men's kit at all seats ask for a ladies' kit for your mother instead.

The point above about the Cathay lounge is a very good one, at check in they will direct you to the BA lounge. Don't heed that. If your mother does enjoy a nice gin and tonic, the gin bar in the Qantas lounge is well stocked and very nice. It is a bit the quintessential British drink....

The Queen of Blue tea, and ice tea on board is worth trying as well. Most people overlook it.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

TravelLawyerrustykettelAdmiral AckbarCPH-Flyer -- thank you all just so much for your comments above; indeed, for the length of what you have all written, too -- I'm incredibly grateful.

I shall certainly keep an eye out for temperature (and perhaps a couple of USB fans might be the way to go, though it's good to hear, too, Admiral Ackbar, that your recent flight was cooler than others' experiences). And the tip about the hard/soft mattress is very useful -- I had no idea.

That's great advice, too, about looking up the menus online before flying -- my mother can be a little unadventurous when it comes to food (but crazily adventurous with everything else! ), so that is a very handy tip for sure. As is the mention of the CX and QF lounges -- a G&T might well soothe any of her pre-flight nerves in the QF lounge.

But anyway, thanks so much all -- it's really generous of you all and greatly appreciated.

All the very best
rustykettel likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Enjoy JAL F. I flew CDG-HND-LHR in F at New Year.

F was excellent ( not too warm) and you also get a sleep suit and slippers ( and the crew are waiting to hang up your clothes as soon as you come out of the bathroom)

The CX F lounge is excellent ( it may get busy as the JAL flight is in the middle of the CX departure bank ( roughly 1700,1800, 2000 and 2200) but the CX J lounge is excellent also. BA F lounge is pretty good also.

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Enjoy JAL F. I flew CDG-HND-LHR in F at New Year.

F was excellent ( not too warm) and you also get a sleep suit and slippers ( and the crew are waiting to hang up your clothes as soon as you come out of the bathroom)

The CX F lounge is excellent ( it may get busy as the JAL flight is in the middle of the CX departure bank ( roughly 1700,1800, 2000 and 2200) but the CX J lounge is excellent also. BA F lounge is pretty good also.

Regards

TBS
The _Banking_Scot -- many thanks for this. And that's a good tip re the CX departures... I'll look to time my lounge entry accordingly! All the best
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Also , it will be dine on demand so you can choose when to eat. The second meal is very much ala carte and there are a few western options on the menu ( such as yoghurt, scrabled eggs and bread ) but I went for the Paris don option ( will be Lon -don) ( had ramen noodles suring the flight with fresh fruit and a chocolate desert as it was more lunchtime than breakfast time as we landed at 1500 or so)

Regards

TBS
Scoob72 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:28 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Queen of Blue tea
I got through a whole bottle
Then went on to buy some of the raw tea while in Japan.

The Japanese menu is pretty good going out, but it's better coming back.
Appreciate it's not everyone's thing but a great treat for me.

I'll reiterate what has been said about using the call button.
As a Brit I used to be reticent, but many FTers have told me it's fine so I'm trying to get over it. You should too.
They were usually with me in seconds.

Another thing is not to be shy of asking for items off both menus.
I had the Japanese menu but asked if they had the caviar course from the Western left over, 'is it possible?'.
No problem.

Consider whether your mum wants to be made a fuss of or not.
I took my dad in BA F and knew he didn't like a fuss so didn't mention it was his first F.
If you do let on, crew will generally be a bit more proactive.
You do seem to get a lot of meet and greet and end of service attention on JAL.
Possibly more than I was comfortable with. Certainly more than BA.
It's just the Japanese way though, so it might be worth preparing her for this so it's not a disconcerting start to the trip.
Scoob72 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:41 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Scoob72
a G&T might well soothe any of her pre-flight nerves in the QF lounge.
Many threads elsewhere about T3 lounge experiences
44 pages of discussion here
Best T3 OneWorld Lounge
I thought the QF lounge was not a particularly relaxing place, nor BA F.
CX J is lovely though (no experience of F, but I believe it's smaller and not demonstrably superior to the J).
You can have a G&T there as well, just not so many varieties of gin.
Scoob72 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:46 am
Original Poster

DeathSlam - thanks so much for adding to what has already been written above.

Like you - a Brit with the "yips" when it comes to pressing a call button - I may have to temporarily disable that tendency for a few hours.

Thank you, too, for the T3 thread - I shall enjoy reading it.

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Many threads elsewhere about T3 lounge experiences
44 pages of discussion here
Best T3 OneWorld Lounge
I thought the QF lounge was not a particularly relaxing place, nor BA F.
CX J is lovely though (no experience of F, but I believe it's smaller and not demonstrably superior to the J).
You can have a G&T there as well, just not so many varieties of gin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.