Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

AA coded JL operated flight- can it be upgraded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA coded JL operated flight- can it be upgraded?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Awesome, thank you.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA CK
Reviving this thread to see if anyone could help me with my question.. would it be possible to upgrade from PE to Business with JAL Mileage Bank points on AA marketed JL operated flights?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by byroshi
Reviving this thread to see if anyone could help me with my question.. would it be possible to upgrade from PE to Business with JAL Mileage Bank points on AA marketed JL operated flights?
No. Needs to be JAL marketed.
byroshi and Tokyoite like this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by tripmaster
Thread revival: I've seen mention that it is, and is NOT, possible to upgrade to PE on JAL on a AA codeshare ticket. Can someone advise with first hand experience?

Looking at ORD-NRT for friends, any data on how full the PE cabins get?
Yes, it is possible. I did it about six weeks ago, DFW-NRT. No problem at all. The JL agent in the Flagship Lounge at DFW was great!
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Anyone tried by calling JL? Oddly, yesterday, JL agent in NRT refused to change my seat assignment on an AA-coded ticket! After a gentle nudge, it was made so. I would love to upgrade my NRT-JFK flight but I dont want to move SPG to JL if the points will get stranded there - there is one seat open for miles on my flight home in First...
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Anyone tried by calling JL? Oddly, yesterday, JL agent in NRT refused to change my seat assignment on an AA-coded ticket! After a gentle nudge, it was made so. I would love to upgrade my NRT-JFK flight but I dont want to move SPG to JL if the points will get stranded there - there is one seat open for miles on my flight home in First...
If you are talking about using JL miles to upgrade an AA code flight, no amount of calling or emailing will avail you. They will not budge on that one.

Changing your seat a check in should be par for the course, and I wonder why that did not happen in the first place. Unless the seat you wanted was one they were intending to keep for one of the high value customers.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Am I right in my understanding that JAL rarely (or never) offers at desk upgrades to Business? I've got a return DFW-NRT/HND... DFW-NRT on the way out on AA (bought through JAL) and return on JAL from HND-DFW. I flew AA from Miami to Milan and remember they were offering 550 USD to upgrade from PE to Business, so understand this may be offered when flying the AA leg (albeit probably at a higher rate if at all). Right in thinking JAL is a no-no? Not the end of the world, just want to manage expectations. I'm in PE

Last edited by TTmex; Dec 2, 2019 at 7:41 am
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTmex
Am I right in my understanding that JAL rarely (or never) offers at desk upgrades to Business? I've got a return DFW-NRT/HND... DFW-NRT on the way out on AA (bought through JAL) and return on JAL from HND-DFW. I flew AA from Miami to Milan and remember they were offering 550 USD to upgrade from PE to Business, so understand this may be offered when flying the AA leg (albeit probably at a higher rate if at all). Right in thinking JAL is a no-no? Not the end of the world, just want to manage expectations. I'm in PE
JAL does not offer cash upgrades from Y or PY to J. You can upgrade with JMB miles.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL does not offer cash upgrades from Y or PY to J. You can upgrade with JMB miles.
Thought as much. DOn't have any JMB miles, just a huge stash of Avios and they're no use

Thanks for the reply
Old Sep 27, 2023, 8:17 pm

Can you use a SWU on AA operated flight but bought through JAL?
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jumpingbean421
Can you use a SWU on AA operated flight but bought through JAL?
JL flight number on an AA flight? Not possible. 131 ticket stock and AA flight number, I am not entirely sure but it is probably more a question for the AA forum.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:06 pm

It’s a JAL marketed flight but AA operated. But didn’t realize this was the JAL forum so will move to AA - thank you!
Old Sep 27, 2023, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jumpingbean421
It’s a JAL marketed flight but AA operated. But didn’t realize this was the JAL forum so will move to AA - thank you!
​​​​​​
If it is JL marketed, you are out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.