Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

AA coded JL operated flight- can it be upgraded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, AA

Longtime lurker with an upgrade question. I'm booked on a JAL operated and AA marketed flight from NRT to JFK in November. EF says there are 7 A seats and 0 C seats but when I call AA to upgrade I am told there is no first or business inventory available for upgrade. What am I doing wrong? Appreciate the help and advance apologies for probably posting in the wrong place.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How are you intending to upgrade?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Can't upgrade using AA SWUs on JL operated flights even if AA marketed. SWUs are only valid on AA operated flights. Best you can do is pay for an upgrade to Premium Economy at check-in (if you are currently in Y). The price just went up a bit to 40000 JPY to do so.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/apopyug.html
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, AA
Originally Posted by LondonElite
How are you intending to upgrade?
Miles + points. Though i think Duke787 answered the question? I guess it just isn't possible...

Originally Posted by Duke787
Can't upgrade using AA SWUs on JL operated flights even if AA marketed. SWUs are only valid on AA operated flights. Best you can do is pay for an upgrade to Premium Economy at check-in (if you are currently in Y). The price just went up a bit to 40000 JPY to do so.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/apopyug.html
Thanks, Duke.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Relative
Miles + points. Though i think Duke787 answered the question? I guess it just isn't possible...
Yes, this is not possible.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, JB, AF, BA, QF, JL, CX
JMB number needed rather than AA on JL flight if upgrading?

I am flying BOS-NRT-SYD RT and am wondering whether I need to my JMB number instead of AA if I am contemplating upgrading from Y to PY at airport? I believe that can be done by paying $350 at airport if available. I collect mostly on AA but I can transfer some miles from SPG to JAL if needed. I am also thinking of doing a miles upgrade but am not sure whether to commit my JMB number at purchasing time of tickets if available is sparse. Can you switch FF accounts on some/all the sectors before the flights?
Thanks
JY
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:45 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jnyeung
I am flying BOS-NRT-SYD RT and am wondering whether I need to my JMB number instead of AA if I am contemplating upgrading from Y to PY at airport? I believe that can be done by paying $350 at airport if available. I collect mostly on AA but I can transfer some miles from SPG to JAL if needed. I am also thinking of doing a miles upgrade but am not sure whether to commit my JMB number at purchasing time of tickets if available is sparse. Can you switch FF accounts on some/all the sectors before the flights?
Thanks
JY
What's your booking class? IMHO it doesn't make sense at all to pay for USD350 per sector if you have an upgradable ticket. It will cost much less to just book for premium economy.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we send this to the JL forum, as it's a JL operated flight.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jnyeung
I am flying BOS-NRT-SYD RT and am wondering whether I need to my JMB number instead of AA if I am contemplating upgrading from Y to PY at airport? I believe that can be done by paying $350 at airport if available.
You don't need to have your JMB number on the reservation for the cash PY upgrade at the airport counter. AA or even no FF# is fine.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
A quick follow-up question: for those JAL international flights upgraded to PY at check-in, will the mileage be accumulated according to the original booking class, or the upgraded W/E class?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by shd9
A quick follow-up question: for those JAL international flights upgraded to PY at check-in, will the mileage be accumulated according to the original booking class, or the upgraded W/E class?
Original, same applies to lounge access which means no access without status.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Originally Posted by JALPak
Original, same applies to lounge access which means no access without status.
Thanks JALPak. Then the upgrade is not super attractive unless I get a really bad Y seat I guess
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Thread revival: I've seen mention that it is, and is NOT, possible to upgrade to PE on JAL on a AA codeshare ticket. Can someone advise with first hand experience?

Looking at ORD-NRT for friends, any data on how full the PE cabins get?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tripmaster
Thread revival: I've seen mention that it is, and is NOT, possible to upgrade to PE on JAL on a AA codeshare ticket. Can someone advise with first hand experience?
Yes, absolutely possible as a cash upgrade at the counter.

Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Yes, absolutely possible as a cash upgrade at the counter.

which is clearly stated on JAL website

You now can even add lounge access to it by paying extra
rustykettel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.