Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Reserving a Japanese meal for business class - necessary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:16 am
Original Poster

I have an upcoming flight from jfk to nrt on an AA codeshare on japan airlines. I saw something on JAL website about reserving or pre-ordering japanese meals. Is shortage usually a problem that I need to do this? I'm sure its easy if the tickets were bought through JAL, but I can't access any of those preferences on their site, only american's.

appreciate the info. thanks
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by babern38
I have an upcoming flight from jfk to nrt on an AA codeshare on japan airlines. I saw something on JAL website about reserving or pre-ordering japanese meals. Is shortage usually a problem that I need to do this? I'm sure its easy if the tickets were bought through JAL, but I can't access any of those preferences on their site, only american's.

appreciate the info. thanks
I have experienced, the Japanese selection running out. Once. It does happen, but normally it goes reasonably well.

You should probably get the JL PNR from American to get the preorder system to Work.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

what is the JL PNR?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
what is the JL PNR?
You will have received a 6 digit reservation code from AA. The PNR. As JAL runs a different system than AA you should get your equivalent number for the JAL flight. AA will be able to give you that.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:11 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
PNR = Passenger Name Record = 6 digit confirmation number (actually it's alphanumeric)

In this case there is an AA PNR and a JL PNR.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I have experienced the Japanese meal running out twice. So go ahead and preorder if you really want the Japanese meal. It is lovely and delicious, especially flying from Japan.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:11 pm
THR

Can anyone advise how you actually pre-order? When I log into my reservation, it only gives the option of a 'special' meal, which is truly of the special variety (vegetarian, gluten free, etc.).

Image of the meal offerings: http://imgur.com/a/ZXrPd

I cannot see where you can actually pre-order a specific meal time (Japanese vs. Western)?

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems it's only until March: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...l/meal_yoyaku/

Last edited by THR; Jan 30, 2017 at 7:12 pm Reason: I'm an idiot
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by THR
Can anyone advise how you actually pre-order? When I log into my reservation, it only gives the option of a 'special' meal, which is truly of the special variety (vegetarian, gluten free, etc.).

Image of the meal offerings: http://imgur.com/a/ZXrPd

I cannot see where you can actually pre-order a specific meal time (Japanese vs. Western)?

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems it's only until March: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi...l/meal_yoyaku/
You can only preorder now for flights through March. Then you will be able to preorder for the next 3 months. I was able to do this by using the JL web site by signing in as Japan region. You can also call them to request or send and email.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

so, this has become a big issue. First I called JAL about meal reservation because the system wasn't accepting my number and they told me I had to go through american airlines. AA couldn't do anything other than offer a vegetarian meal which is the opposite of what I want. AA rep called JAL while I was on the phone who helped get me to the correct JAL website.

I was finally able to access my reservation on JAL site and see the meal selection option but it wouldn't accept the meal request and said an error had occurred. I called JAL again and they said I should be able to reserve the meal and they are having IT department look into it.

I've yet to hear back from them and I retried yesterday and system still didn't work
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: MP, BR
so, this has become a big issue. First I called JAL about meal reservation because the system wasn't accepting my number and they told me I had to go through american airlines. AA couldn't do anything other than offer a vegetarian meal which is the opposite of what I want. AA rep called JAL while I was on the phone who helped get me to the correct JAL website.

I was finally able to access my reservation on JAL site and see the meal selection option but it wouldn't accept the meal request and said an error had occurred. I called JAL again and they said I should be able to reserve the meal and they are having IT department look into it.

I've yet to hear back from them and I retried yesterday and system still didn't work

This may sound like a dumb suggestion but if you get an error, maybe you can try logging in using a different browser.

I encountered the same issue when ordering meals on EVA Air's website; it didn't seem to work well with older versions of IE but worked fine in Firefox.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:45 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Chromie25
This may sound like a dumb suggestion but if you get an error, maybe you can try logging in using a different browser.

I encountered the same issue when ordering meals on EVA Air's website; it didn't seem to work well with older versions of IE but worked fine in Firefox.
Or in this case just don't buy codeshare That seems to be the root of all sorts of problems.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

I've tried different browsers and different computers.
I checked again today and it seems like the system has me set for the japanese meal, but they only did it for the outbound flight.
I never got the call back from them. perhaps some progress is made?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:47 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I never got the call back from them. perhaps some progress is made?
You're so funny!
Old May 4, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
I am booked codeshare with AA and I am running into the same problem. Using the JL PNR, I can get to the point of the pulldown choice for the Japanese meal but then I get the error page. I called the US JL number and the phone person was shocked that I could even get that far. They called AA and were able to get my girlfriend gluten-free but told me they could not do anything in terms of reserving me a Japanese meal. They told me I'd have to wait until I checked in with JL.

Has anyone gotten any farther with this?
Is there a thought that I might get farther calling the JL number?

And yes I know, I know...codeshare and all...given the new AA mileage accrual methodology it works out significantly better for me this way
Old May 8, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: gate lice
Hey guys.

I'm encountering the same issue -- booked on AA, operated by JL. I am in biz class.

Just a question -- is the Japanese meal so much better than the Western meal that it would be worth my time to actively seek to reserve it?

I'm kinda excited, honestly -- hear great things about JL catering. CX is kind of meh.

EDIT:

Do you guys know what the order of meal service is in JL? Do they hop around asking everyone and then prioritize it using a preset formula, or do they do it front-to-back or back-to-front?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.