Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:37 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

I am trying to get an Award ticket in F between Tokyo-Paris/London. Looks like JAL is not releasing seats even though I see up to 6 seats for sale for March period.
I am just curious, when will they release these seats for redemption with partner airlines?

Thanks.

Cheers!
You need to check on the partner's forum. This is about JMB availability which may not mirror partner's
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:10 am

I was able to secure 2 F Class Awards (seats 2A/D) and 1 J class award (seat 5D) for JL 3 for 12/21/17 for my wife, myself and my mom (sorry mom! - business class for now) via AlaskaAir miles.

What is the rule of thumb for JAL releasing additional F class availability? day before like CX? so that I may be able to upgrade my mom to F.

Any thoughts/info would be appreciated.

Last edited by benjahman; Feb 1, 2017 at 10:00 am
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by benjahman
I was able to secure 2 F Class Awards (seats 2A/D) and 1 J class award (seat 5D) for JL 3 for 12/21/17 for my wife, myself and my mom (sorry mom! - business class for now) via AlaskaAir miles.

What is the rule of thumb for JAL releasing additional F class availability? day before like CX? so that I may be able to upgrade my mom to F.

Any thoughts/info would be appreciated.
You should probably ask on the AS forum inasmuch as this thread is dedicated to those redeeming JMB miles.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:38 am
THR

Originally Posted by gpeso8
You should probably ask on the AS forum inasmuch as this thread is dedicated to those redeeming JMB miles.
Or redeeming on JAL. It is a valid question as it is JAL availability that determines redemption options.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:49 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by THR
Or redeeming on JAL. It is a valid question as it is JAL availability that determines redemption options.
No, it's not. This type of question belongs to AS forum. AS availability may not be the same as JMB's and redemption rules are different.

And instead of worrying about getting an extra F award, I would worry about JL003 losing F as Dec is still quite far away. If NRT-JFK yield is not good enough, JAL can simply downgrade that flight when winter schedule is announced.

Last edited by JALPak; Feb 1, 2017 at 11:54 am
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
No, it's not. This type of question belongs to AS forum. AS availability may not be the same as JMB's and redemption rules are different.

And instead of worrying about getting an extra F award, I would worry about JL003 losing F as Dec is still quite far away. If NRT-JFK yield is not good enough, JAL can simply downgrade that flight when winter schedule is announced.
JALPak Correct, but hoping your previous post re: FY2017 fLeet changes (which ends March 31, 2018) holds true and with JAL upgrading to SS7 for increased capacity, I can only assume they believe yield will be positive and the need for SS7 justified. When do they announce winter schedules?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by musashino22
I waitlisted and got a last minute upgrade a day before the flight. But then nobody knows if there is now a preference to JMB members who would use miles to upgrade to a higher class over than those who would just redeem.
Good to know. I'm a regular JMB member (AA EXP) who plans to use 45K JMB miles to try and upgrade J to F in late May. Will set an alert to look 14-days before the flight if I don't clear before then.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by gpeso8
Here's a direct link to the AS forum thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ll-cabins.html

Do note that Mileage Plan redemption only began a bit over a month ago so anything other than initial booking is still pretty much in the feeling it out stage.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:09 pm

Hey all... I posted this in the BA thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ssible-jl.html

But it seems like all the JL experts are in this thread.

So, question.

I want to book a NRT-YVR flight ( actually YVR-KIX return ) in Y using Avios in early August and I'm wondering best to find availability, when to check, etc.

I have no problem finding availability between Tokyo and Osaka on ba.com but can't find ANYTHING between NRT and YVR. I'm not sure why there would be 0 availability, but will I find anything closer to the date?

I found ONE flight outbound that worked for me, July 25 and I don't mind locking that one in if there's a good chance of finding a return flight in mid-August... but I just don't know how likely that is.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo
Hey all... I posted this in the BA thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ssible-jl.html

But it seems like all the JL experts are in this thread.

So, question.

I want to book a NRT-YVR flight ( actually YVR-KIX return ) in Y using Avios in early August and I'm wondering best to find availability, when to check, etc.

I have no problem finding availability between Tokyo and Osaka on ba.com but can't find ANYTHING between NRT and YVR. I'm not sure why there would be 0 availability, but will I find anything closer to the date?

I found ONE flight outbound that worked for me, July 25 and I don't mind locking that one in if there's a good chance of finding a return flight in mid-August... but I just don't know how likely that is.
You need to book it at 330 days out 10am JST. For many (most?) routes it's gone within a few hours usually, and within a few days almost always, of the release time. So, right now you can book it for late January, 2018. If you wanted it for this August you should have booked it last September.

Only other way is to book it using JL JMB miles on a waitlist, but with another airline program that is not going to work.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:47 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Not so extreme...I booked 5/2/16 nrt-yvr on 10/12/15
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
You need to book it at 330 days out 10am JST. For many (most?) routes it's gone within a few hours usually, and within a few days almost always, of the release time. So, right now you can book it for late January, 2018. If you wanted it for this August you should have booked it last September.

Only other way is to book it using JL JMB miles on a waitlist, but with another airline program that is not going to work.
Wow... that's quite the lead time. I assume they also open up availability close to the date as well for flights that aren't busy as well.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo
Wow... that's quite the lead time. I assume they also open up availability close to the date as well for flights that aren't busy as well.
That's the only sure way. As some pax who have booked cancel, and if there is no waitlist, some availability may open up later. It is usually a bit fluid T-330 to T-320 esp. Closer in it's possible that something will open, but you'd have to check daily or more frequently...and if you are not on a JAL waitlist, then your chances are much lower, as it will first go (should) to those on JAL award waitlist.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 12:49 am

It seems like all SYD-NRT availability disappeared, even last minute departures. Something to do with swapping out F on this route?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
It seems like all SYD-NRT availability disappeared, even last minute departures. Something to do with swapping out F on this route?
Probably because the cabin books out before last minute availability release time comes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.