Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL will be migrating to Amadeus on Nov 16, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Migration date: Nov 16 2017

Handling Procedure Changes: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss/dom/
  • Domestic ticket/awards will be valid for 1 year from the day after issuance date
  • Single 6 alphanumeric PNR will be used for entire itinerary instead of 4 digit PNR for each sector on domestic flights
  • No longer allows separation payments of Y and Class J/Domestic F upgrade fees
  • Credit card number will no longer be accepted as authentication method
  • Fares eligible for waitlisting will be reduced but deadline will be extended from T-48 to T-24
  • Can no longer change to an earlier flight when flying on domestic awards
  • ePoints will be refundable on awards and can specify the amount allocated on multiple passengers instead of splitting them equally
  • Some other ePoints enhancements on award tax/fee payments, JALPAK package payment will be refundable, etc

A lot more changes coming e.g. surface sector won't be included in total mileage calculation for award redemption: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss_world/jmb/inter.html

Upcoming system outages and OLCI suspensions/changes: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss_world/maintenance/?inbound=ar
Print Wikipost

JAL will be migrating to Amadeus on Nov 16, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: JGC - 1 star
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
Where did you get this information, and which route ?
According to web page JAL International Upgrade Awards Chart - JAL Mileage Bank

Japan - Europe one way upgrade from economy to premium economy requires 20,000 miles.
When the airport upgrade discount promotion is applied, it is 15,000 miles.
My mother got the information at the airport, I believe it was HND before a HND-LHR flight.
20.000 miles is if you purchase an upgradable fare, it's not applicable to special nor standard economy fares.
As nobody purchases an expensive upgradeable fare without the intention of using it to upgrade long before the trip begins, this airport upgrade promotion is rather useless.
They need to open it up to all fare classes.

The upgrade to premium economy is not a steal at 15.000-20.000 miles considering that it's the same meal and the seats are marginally better and we're talking one-way.
Even if it were open to all fare classes, I doubt that people would be queuing up to get the upgrade. People with at least Sapphire status should actually be upgraded for free anytime there are seats available, since this is what NH does for its Gold members.

The upgrade to business class for 33.000 one-way is also not a steal, since it's not easy to rack up that many miles especially for those flying frequently in economy class fares, and the promotion for fewer miles doesn't apply on the busy routes like HND-LHR or HND-CDG. Also, JL offers award tickets for 42.500 miles "for some days of the week", which is not much more than 33.000.
Last but not least, it's subject to availability and given how busy the premium cabins are, there are not many empty seats available at all.
Given high entry mileage barriers and low availabilites, the conditions are too restrictive and they should open it up to make all fare classes eligible.

Eligible fares

Upgrade from Economy Class to Premium Economy ClassEconomy Class fare with a booking class of B*, H*, K*, YUpgrade from Economy Class/Premium Economy Class to Business ClassEconomy Class fare with a booking class of W*, E*, Y, B*, H* or K*

Last edited by Flanker2; Dec 23, 2017 at 6:17 pm
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:51 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Flanker2
My mother got the information at the airport, I believe it was HND before a HND-LHR flight.
20.000 miles is if you purchase an upgradable fare, it's not applicable to special nor standard economy fares.
As nobody purchases an expensive upgradeable fare without the intention of using it to upgrade long before the trip begins, this airport upgrade promotion is rather useless.
They need to open it up to all fare classes.

The upgrade to premium economy is not a steal at 15.000-20.000 miles considering that it's the same meal and the seats are marginally better and we're talking one-way.
Even if it were open to all fare classes, I doubt that people would be queuing up to get the upgrade. People with at least Sapphire status should actually be upgraded for free anytime there are seats available, since this is what NH does for its Gold members.

The upgrade to business class for 33.000 one-way is also not a steal, since it's not easy to rack up that many miles especially for those flying frequently in economy class fares, and the promotion for fewer miles doesn't apply on the busy routes like HND-LHR or HND-CDG. Also, JL offers award tickets for 42.500 miles "for some days of the week", which is not much more than 33.000.
Last but not least, it's subject to availability and given how busy the premium cabins are, there are not many empty seats available at all.
Given high entry mileage barriers and low availabilites, the conditions are too restrictive and they should open it up to make all fare classes eligible.

​​​​​​​Please try to stick to the topic.

Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I understand that we can no longer change to an earlier flight when flying on domestic award, but what about revenue ticket?
If I can standby for an earlier flight at the airport on my departure day, is it free of charge?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I understand that we can no longer change to an earlier flight when flying on domestic award, but what about revenue ticket?
If I can standby for an earlier flight at the airport on my departure day, is it free of charge?
depends on fare rules
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by JALPak

Are they reserving JCLM to those who didn’t qualify by FOPs again? E.g. spouse gifting? But how about 5*? If 5* is lower than JMLM that would be messed up!

@Goosh, have you requalified as Diamond this year? If not, next time you fly with JL internationally from a migrated airport, can you check your boarding pass status for us to see what your status notation is now please? You are the only 5* member I am aware of
@JALPak

I did not requalify this year. Retired at the end of 2016. Don't have another flight till March. Will let you know then what the boarding pass says.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

The domestic airport system will finally be migrated between Feb 5 and Mar 12 2019. Touch & Go, self check-in kiosk may not be available to some customers during this time, esp if you are connecting and the system at the origin and connecting airports are different

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.