Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Curious how JAL is Doing on iIs New SAN-NRT Route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Curious how JAL is Doing on iIs New SAN-NRT Route

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:49 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by armagebedar
No; I think someone's just having a laugh at the OP's expense...
But OP did make references to the Queen of Blue which is served in F only. That's what make it so confusing.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Originally Posted by JALPak
I think OP wants more precise data than guessing (and judging by the post, don't think OP is particularly good at numbers LOL Sorry I have to poke fun at this )
Precise enough for me! J/0 Y/0? Good job! J/9 Y/9? Time to step up the advertising

Flight loading for Apr 7 JL65, just for kicks:

Code:
C/2 J/3 D/2 X/2 I/2
Y/5 B/5 H/5 K/4 M/4 L/4 V/4 S/4 N/4 Q/0 O/0 G/0
Not too bad.

But OP did make references to the Queen of Blue which is served in F only. That's what make it so confusing.
And he does mention seeing J fairly full, so presumably he would've seen the differences between JAL SUITE and Sky Suite/SHELL FLAT NEO/etc.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
JAL's website says WiFi isn't available on the SAN-NRT route (JL 65). Can anyone confirm this?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
We were recently on JAL ORD-NRT-ORD in J and there was NO Wi-Fi.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Excuse me, but what is laughable? I'm recalling information to the best of my ability. For a long time JAL was switching aircraft on this run almost daily. This in turn, presented different seat configurations.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by maltasr
Excuse me, but what is laughable?
You said you were in an F cabin with 12 seats on a 767.
JL 767s don't have an F cabin (nor do the 787s). Only JL 777s have F cabins, and those cabins don't have 12 seats.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
I think OP wants more precise data than guessing (and judging by the post, don't think OP is particularly good at numbers LOL Sorry I have to poke fun at this )
http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/F...ry.shtm#SUBMIT

Lots of data here on loads - only drawback is that the most recent date searchable is November 2013.

Search by airline (in this case Japan Air Lines) and check the boxes next to origin and destination to ensure the cities are displayed.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I live in San Diego and am connecting through LAX to fly JL to NRT in a few days. I am not going to fly JL's 787.

Business class is lay-flat at an angle. In a new plane? Really?

Economy has a 31" pitch.

Glad they can find people to fly it, but I sure won't.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I live in San Diego and am connecting through LAX to fly JL to NRT in a few days. I am not going to fly JL's 787.

Business class is lay-flat at an angle. In a new plane? Really?

Economy has a 31" pitch.

Glad they can find people to fly it, but I sure won't.
I have no problem with traveling in a 787. I see no reason any reasonable person would have any problem with them.

The seats were ordered shortly after the aircraft were. Thanks to all the production delays they had seats of the previous generation. The seat "problem" is getting fixed.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
I have no problem with traveling in a 787. I see no reason any reasonable person would have any problem with them.

The seats were ordered shortly after the aircraft were. Thanks to all the production delays they had seats of the previous generation. The seat "problem" is getting fixed.
So I am not a reasonable person? While it is fine that you have no problem with the 787 seats, to claim that no reasonable person should is arrogant and condescending. Perhaps you find 31" pitch in long-haul economy acceptable, but I do not, particularly when the 77W flights out of LAX offer 34".

The 77W is older than the 787, but the seats are far, far superior. Business is lay flat and horizontal and pitch in economy is 34" (plus there is a premium economy section in the newest planes).

JL has been having financial issues and, it appears to me, made the decision to cram as many seats into the 787 as it could. JL now finds itself at a competitive disadvantage.

JL is not fixing the uncompetitive seats in its current 787s. JL has announced that new 787s will be delivered with more competitive seats, but JL has not stated any intention to retrofit the existing 787 fleet.

Until they do, you will not find me on a JL 787 out of SAN, SFO or JFK.

Last edited by Always Flyin; Jun 20, 2014 at 4:11 pm
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
So I am not a reasonable person? While it is fine that you have no problem with the 787 seats, to claim that no reasonable person should is arrogant and condescending. Perhaps you find 31" pitch in long-haul economy acceptable, but I do not, particularly when the 77W flights out of LAX offer 34".

The 77W is older than the 787, but the seats are far, far superior. Business is lay flat and horizontal and pitch in economy is 34" (plus there is a premium economy section in the newest planes).

JL has been having financial issues and, it appears to me, made the decision to cram as many seats into the 787 as it could. JL now finds itself at a competitive disadvantage.

JL is not fixing the uncompetitive seats in its current 787s. JL has announced that new 787s will be delivered with more competitive seats, but JL has not stated any intention to retrofit the existing 787 fleet.

Until they do, you will not find me on a JL 787 out of SAN, SFO or JFK.
We should not be blaming JAL for the"uncompetitive" seats in the 787. I would assume that the manufacturer of the 787 with all the problems and delays of the 787 was not in a position to install the new generation seats into the early 787s and keep the "already-delayed" delivery dates.

IIRC, Wikileaks had a report of a meeting between LOT and Harry Stonecipher, the then CEO of Boeing. When the LOT CEO asked Stonecipher to use the delay of the 787 to upgrade the business class seat in the LOT 787, Stonecipher's answer was that would mean that the LOT 787 would be delayed further. JAL have been penalised by the 3.5 years delay in delivery of the 787, let's not blame them for an issue that's probably not theirs.

The new seats may also impact the economics of the 787. With 186 seats in the current layout with the lie flat seats, installing the new full flat seats may result in a seating configuration of around 170 (ANA with their full flat seats have 169 seats) which may make the economics of long-haul flying marginal.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by lovejapan
We should not be blaming JAL for the "uncompetitive" seats in the 787.
It's a JAL plane so JAL takes the blame. Full stop.

JAL could have taken delivery of an airplane with no seats in it at all and configured it as it wished once it had. Interiors are designated by the purchaser--not by Boeing.

JAL can configure its aircraft however it wants, but the current configuration is not competitive and I won't fly on it, even if it means taking a regional flight from SAN to LAX to avoid it.

By the way, the ANA 787 in the regional configuration (used on flights as far as SIN) is even worse and I won't fly that either.

Last edited by Always Flyin; Jun 20, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:56 pm

Yeah those seats are not the most comfortable when you're trying to sleep.

That being said... I'd much rather be in the 787 than driving/flying up to LAX and catching a flight there.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
to whomever was asking about award availability on this flight, I was finding 3 J seats (which was my search) often in my searches to/from NRT (from SAN). That said and done, I chose not to take the 787, it just doesn't sound worth it with the angle J seats.

I'm sort of with Always Flyin and given the choice, I won't fly this 787 (version used on SAN/NRT)
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA
I have taken JL66 / JL65 a few times already and although I feared the "angle flat" notation, I really had no problem sleeping on this flight. I think it's because the only part of the seat that is angled ever so slightly is the upper part of the seat from waist up. From the waist down is flat and therefore you are never sliding down the seat which happened in the older "angle flat" seats of carriers such as AA or LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.