Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Curious how JAL is Doing on iIs New SAN-NRT Route

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Question Curious how JAL is Doing on iIs New SAN-NRT Route

My wife and I had the recent pleasure of using JAL from SAN to Narita to Singapore. We were blown away by their first class service on a 767. They were scheduled to use a 787 but switched equipment on that day. We've never had better service, amenities, and all around wonderful service. They even served Blue Tea dispensed from a wine bottle. There were only six passengers in a cabin equipped with 12 first class seats with two dedicated flight attendants. From what I could see, Business was pretty well filled but I never did get back to coach to have a look. This is San Diego's first and only service to Asia and I really hope it is successful with this kind of outstanding service. Is there any method of knowing what passenger loads are running using public information or is this a closely guarded secret? This is the only way I can think of to determine their future plans. We have a huge Asian population in SD which makes the service extra appealing. Also, Narita Airport was a breeze when changing planes. The return flight on AA from NRT-LAX in first was good but noticeably inferior.

Last edited by maltasr; Apr 4, 2014 at 3:13 pm Reason: Grammar error
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AC E35k
Does JAL offer F on some of their 767s?

Glad to hear about your positive experience though. NRT is indeed a lovely airport to transit through.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:44 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by yamanote8
Does JAL offer F on some of their 767s?

Glad to hear about your positive experience though. NRT is indeed a lovely airport to transit through.
Not just that, 12 F seats too! The last 12 F seat configuration was Skysleeper on 744 LOL
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:36 pm

I hope it's doing very well for them and that it never goes away (unless they're going to route it in and out of HND instead of NRT!). For SAN-based pax, not having to haul to LAX or SFO makes the trip a real joy, 15 minutes to the airport from most parts of town and you're on your way to Japan. Love it.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Yes, moving the destination to Haneda would be a terrible mistake logistically. I seriously doubt it's going to happen. I have to ask one more time: Is there any manner in which an individual can access individual airline flight loads on specific
airline routes, ie, SAN-NRT, TIJ-NRT, JFK-LHR etc.?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:56 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE

US flights will likely stay at NRT since the strategy of JL (and NH) is to feed Asian traffic to the US via NRT. HND is better for Japan O&D traffic, so there may be new service to HND, but I doubt there will be any switches like there were for EU service.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
US flights will likely stay at NRT since the strategy of JL (and NH) is to feed Asian traffic to the US via NRT. HND is better for Japan O&D traffic, so there may be new service to HND, but I doubt there will be any switches like there were for EU service.
Even if there's a switch, SAN wouldn't be the top candidates
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JALPak
Even if there's a switch, SAN wouldn't be the top candidates
Indeed, if I lived in SAN, I'd rather go SAN-NRT and go into Tokyo from Narita, instead of making the trek up to Los Angeles and flying LAX-HND (ignoring the specifics of which airline flies which route(s)).
Old Apr 6, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AC E35k
You could use a seat availability tool like KVS Tool or ExpertFlyer to get an idea of how full the flight is by looking at the booking buckets.

I'm still curious about the configuration on the aircraft used on your flight though!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by yamanote8
You could use a seat availability tool like KVS Tool or ExpertFlyer to get an idea of how full the flight is by looking at the booking buckets.

I'm still curious about the configuration on the aircraft used on your flight though!
I think OP wants more precise data than guessing (and judging by the post, don't think OP is particularly good at numbers LOL Sorry I have to poke fun at this )
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:20 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

How is J availability for award bookings? Better SAN-NRT or in the reverse?

Also, does JL use non-regional J to any Chinese destinations?

Thanks,
BmB
Old Apr 6, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
How is J availability for award bookings? Better SAN-NRT or in the reverse?

Also, does JL use non-regional J to any Chinese destinations?

Thanks,
BmB
There are SS6, 788, and long-haul 777-200ER deployed on routes to China.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:26 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JALPak
There are SS6, 788, and long-haul 777-200ER deployed on routes to China.
Which J would you recommend, JALPak? Also, do any of the 788s go from HND to China yet?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:31 pm
Community Director Emerita

I thought that this route was scheduled with 2 class service, not 3? Has it had the F cabin all along?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:55 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
No; I think someone's just having a laugh at the OP's expense...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.