Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
My last upgraded flights were HND-KUH and CTS-NGO during the middle of a weekday so even class J was only half full and I got the upgrade on the spot. I can't speak for more heavily traveled times/routes though.
JEP flights? I'm there during the Rugby World Cup, so I suspect standby upgrades aren't going to be likely tbh.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by etiene
JEP flights? I'm there during the Rugby World Cup, so I suspect standby upgrades aren't going to be likely tbh.
Yep, they were JEP flights.
Wow. I totally forgot about the Rugby World Cup. I'm actually gonna be there during the semi/finals so I may as well try and get some tickets to those matches if I can...
etiene likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
Yep, they were JEP flights.
Wow. I totally forgot about the Rugby World Cup. I'm actually gonna be there during the semi/finals so I may as well try and get some tickets to those matches if I can...
The tickets are already difficult or ridiculously expensive to come by. But if you find a good source, I'd be interested to hear about it after you secured yours.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:13 pm

I am booking a flight ex-Southeast Asia to USA this Summer and will probably not be taking the final leg. Will I still get my FOPs for all the other segments?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by scopelenz
I am booking a flight ex-Southeast Asia to USA this Summer and will probably not be taking the final leg. Will I still get my FOPs for all the other segments?
Yes, you will get FOP for flown segments. However if you are planning to check luggage and don't have a layover, just a connection, it is not as simple as all the that skipping the last leg.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Apologies for the long post - also if putting this question in the NEWBIE thread is wrong ...

So I am looking for some advice regarding what I did wrong (or could have done better) for an IRROPS situation, as well as confirmation in case anyone knows regarding some of the things I was told.

The details:
My wife and I were booked on JL20 (PEK - HND) - delayed 8 hours from 08:25 to 16:15 due to crew timing out after air-traffic control restrictions the previous night.

Both of us in the business class cabin and OWE. My ticket was a revenue booking direct from JL; my wife's ticket was BA-issued using Avios (reward redemption).

At the check-in desk I looked at ExpertFlyer and saw that JL860 (PEK- NRT) at 10:45 was showing J9 C9 D9 X9 ... Y0 ... Based on that I asked to be rebooked on the JL860 flight, and was directed to the JL ticket desk.

At the JL ticket desk the agent (I assume a JL employee based on uniform) told me:

A) She could rebook my wife's ticket (BA-issued using Avios) but not my ticket (revenue ticket purchased direct from JL), giving as a reason that fact that the conditions of my ticket did not allow any changes (I-class fare);
B) There was only one business seat available on the flight;
C) They would not rebook us on any other airline (seats were available on several Air China flights).

ExpertFlyer was still showing J9 etc. and eventually she acknowledged that there were more seats available in business class - but that they were not available to her for rebooking (but were available for purchase) as the economy cabin was oversold and so were being held. The agent continued to insist that it was not possible to rebook me on the JL860 flight even if seats became available due to the conditions of my ticket. I pointed out of course that this was wrong, given the 8 hour delay on the JL20 flight.

Finally we gave up and checked in for the delayed flight (no checked luggage) and made our way through the airport to the departure area.

Once in the lounge I called Japan Airlines using Skype. This was now at 09:30 - and ExpertFlyer was still showing availability in the business cabin, but now down to J2/C2/D2/X2.

Once connected a very helpful agent confirmed that seats were availble in business class on JL860. She also confirmed that it was no problem to change my ticket on account of the delay and rebook me on the JL860 flight.

She apologized though that because my wife's ticket was issued by BA using Avios, this could only be changed at the airport (I was put on hold while she confirmed this with the support desk).

At this point though getting both of us rebooked would have involved going back airside - which wouldn't allow time to check-in for the JL860 flight. <rip my heart out and put it through a mincer>-emoticon.

My questions:
Should the ticket agent at the airport have been able to rebook me - or is this a policy on JL that for flight delays outside the airline's control the ticket restrictions on changes still apply?

Is it possible for ExpertFlyer to show seats available but these seats not be available for release at the airport as they are being held for possible oversell upgrades?

Is it correct that my wife's ticket (as a redemption ticket not issued by JL) could only be reissued at the airport? (my intuition here is that this is indeed true)

And finally, what could I have done better here? I guess calling up the JL customer line while waiting at the ticket desk - but I incorrectly assumed that the agent at the airport would have more options available and be more flexible.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Yes, you will get FOP for flown segments. However if you are planning to check luggage and don't have a layover, just a connection, it is not as simple as all the that skipping the last leg.
Thanks. I have a pretty long layover on the return leg so I might short-check the bag.

Another question: To meet JMB's "JAL Group flight" requirement, does it have to be on JAL metal, or will JAL marketed (i.e. JAL flight number) but OW-partner operated flights count? Sorry if this has been asked before
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Thanks. I have a pretty long layover on the return leg so I might short-check the bag.

Another question: To meet JMB's "JAL Group flight" requirement, does it have to be on JAL metal, or will JAL marketed (i.e. JAL flight number) but OW-partner operated flights count? Sorry if this has been asked before
JAL marketed but Oneworld operated (JLxxxx flight number) will count, per Oneworld rules. Here, they differ from Star Alliance.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your layover is less than 24 hours, they will probably not allow you to short check your bags. Most airlines don't

JL marketed flights counts as JAL group Even OK non OW partners
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

JAL marketed but Oneworld operated (JLxxxx flight number) will count, per Oneworld rules. Here, they differ from Star Alliance.
If your layover is less than 24 hours, they will probably not allow you to short check your bags. Most airlines don't

JL marketed flights counts as JAL group Even OK non OW partners
Thanks both. That's helpful.

So to be clear -

1. JAL-marketed, OW-partner operated flights will count towards "JAL Group Flight" requirement and FOPs
2. JAL-marketed, non-OW partner (i.e. PG, KE) operated flights will count "JAL Group Flight" requirement and FOPs
3. Non JAL-marketed, OW-partner operated flights will only count towards FOPs
4. Non JAL-marketed, non-OW partner operated flights will not count towards FOPs

Am I correct?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks both. That's helpful.

So to be clear -

1. JAL-marketed, OW-partner operated flights will count towards "JAL Group Flight" requirement and FOPs
2. JAL-marketed, non-OW partner (i.e. PG, KE) operated flights will count "JAL Group Flight" requirement and FOPs
3. Non JAL-marketed, OW-partner operated flights will only count towards FOPs
4. Non JAL-marketed, non-OW partner operated flights will not count towards FOPs

Am I correct?
Yes, that is correct
Old May 2, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Plat Elite, Marriott Gold Elite
Simple lounge question... I'm connecting at LAX for an outbound flight in F on JAL. To access the Qantas First Lounge do I just need to show my boarding pass? Or do I need something else? Thanks!
Old May 2, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edandolo
Simple lounge question... I'm connecting at LAX for an outbound flight in F on JAL. To access the Qantas First Lounge do I just need to show my boarding pass? Or do I need something else? Thanks!
Boarding pass is enough. If not printed by JAL, they will typically reprint it for you at the lounge.
edandolo likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:12 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Boarding pass is enough. If not printed by JAL, they will typically reprint it for you at the lounge.
unless it's the bad agent who is on duty and she will make you walk all the way to the Business Class lounge LOL
Old May 2, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
unless it's the bad agent who is on duty and she will make you walk all the way to the Business Class lounge LOL
I have never had that happen My LATAM and AA boarding passes have never been good enough though, so the QF staff have pinged the JAL staff and they brought me a new boarding pass.

If you already have a boarding pass, and they want to replace that, they'll have to bring it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.