Wiki Posts
Search

Rome airport FCO and CIA transportation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:32 am

Shuttle payment

Originally Posted by sk3
Welcome to FT tomjmoore!

I'll leave your question for our train experts but wanted to offer this up in case you're unaware -

You can take a shuttle (SITBusShuttle Service) for the same €8 that will be a direct trip from FCO to Piazza Cavour, very near the Vatican. And for your return to CIA this same company offers a shuttle service from Termini to CIA for €6.

To my way of thinking the shuttle would be a much easier mode of travel.

Here's the link:
http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/index.ph...mid=55&lang=en
I tried to use this service, but my Visa keeps getting rejected, and it didn't even go to my Bank. Do they not accept US Visa Cards? There is an option for PayPal, I might try that next.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
FCO to Ottaviano: yes, technically speaking you can make a sort of connection at Tuscolana, Roma Tuscolana FR1 > Ponte Lungo A. Yet, sk3 is right, it does make sense to take the shuttle bus: cheaper, easier, faster. Furthermore, Tuscolana and Ponte Lungo are next to each other but those 'smart' guys at FS never built a direct access, so you're forced to exit the station and make a short but not pleasant - with bags - walk to Ponte Lungo.

To CIA: railways are laid down alongside the airport compound but that station doesn't provide a direct access to the airport. +1 for sk3, take the bus, far easier though in this case not cheaper.
Generally speaking, the other option would be the underground to Anagnina then the shuttle bus to CIA. In this case, the smart guys are those at the municipality. The underground ends slightly inside the motorway ring that you have to cross to get CIA. Traffic jams are common in that area and that short ride to CIA can take ages in rush hours. Furthermore, that area is very unpleasant, it's only good as a stage for the final battle between Autobots and Decepticons...
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:05 pm

to CIA

OK, Alice, you seem to know best. Our main issue is an early morning (7:50) flight using RyanAir to Barcelona, so we assumed that we had to be there 2 hours early. The Shuttle bus leaves from Termini, which is 4 stops from us at Octaviano, and it leaves at 4:30, in at 5:00, or 5:30, in at 6. I guess we should take the 4:30? Not sure how customs are on a short flight. We bought the tickets online from FCO, we were thinking about waiting till we got there to get the lay of the land before we committed to a shuttle on the way back.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by tomjmoore
OK, Alice, you seem to know best. Our main issue is an early morning (7:50) flight using RyanAir to Barcelona, so we assumed that we had to be there 2 hours early. The Shuttle bus leaves from Termini, which is 4 stops from us at Octaviano, and it leaves at 4:30, in at 5:00, or 5:30, in at 6. I guess we should take the 4:30? Not sure how customs are on a short flight. We bought the tickets online from FCO, we were thinking about waiting till we got there to get the lay of the land before we committed to a shuttle on the way back.
Actually I'm not a Ryanair (CIA) frequent flyer, and I've only flown some very early morning flight to Nowhereborg, but let's try:
  • to Spain, only drop off (if you have bags) and security
  • no heavy traffic to CIA at that time of the day.
  • CIA is a very small airport, no waste of time - and nothing to do
I think that, theoretically, you can be 'safe' even with later departures, but you have to get up very early anyway and you may wish to have some spare time in case of problems with the shuttle: the one arriving at CIA at 6am is fine, so you'd have 1h50'.

Pay attention to the Ryanair tricky rules about bags, check-in and such, otherwise you may end up paying tons of euros for nothing.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:56 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Alice11
...that area is very unpleasant, it's only good as a stage for the final battle between Autobots and Decepticons...
Hysterical!

...Tuscolana and Ponte Lungo are next to each other but those 'smart' guys at FS never built a direct access, so you're forced to exit the station and make a short but not pleasant - with bags - walk to Ponte Lungo...
And thanks for this info, I was actually going to post a related question. (I had been wondering myself if the Tuscolana train station was connected to the metro. I'll be staying near Ostiense Stazione and will visit Cinecittà so had been wondering if I could take the train to Line A instead of going up Line B and connecting at Termini).

Originally Posted by tomjmoore
OK, Alice, you seem to know best...
She most definitely does - she's the real Rome expert here and a wonderfully helpful FT contributer. ^^^

Getting back to the SITBus, I've never actually taken it but the site says: "Where to purchase SITBusShuttle Tickets (also obtainable on board of the bus)":

http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/index.ph...d=47&Itemid=57
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by sk3
And thanks for this info, I was actually going to post a related question. (I had been wondering myself if the Tuscolana train station was connected to the metro. I'll be staying near Ostiense Stazione and will visit Cinecittà so had been wondering if I could take the train to Line A instead of going up Line B and connecting at Termini).
FR1/Linea A, I mean Ostiense>>Tuscolana >> Ponte Lungo>>Cinecittà, is quicker.
FR1 runs every 15', it's usually on time. 1 stop and you get Tuscolana.

Tuscolana is unpleasant with bags because it is a dirty, tatty, miserable station, plenty of obstacles and stairs - guess totally out of law because of the obstacles, honestly. You have to cross a few roads, walk up to Via Appia and again downstairs to the underground platforms. Add a TATL flight, 20-30kg luggage, maybe the Summer sun and 40°, and that the outcome is not that great, when you have a bus that takes you straight to destination.
But if you are only commuting, you can make it easily.

The FR, Ferrovia Regionale, mass transit system is a wide railway network in the metro area and around it, but its infrastructure is not well integrated with the overground/underground system.
As usual, very poor maintenance, with trains and stations in poor conditions and vandalized, mini-slums alongside the network because of the new (lack of) policy re the gypsy community, deterioration of the areas surrounding the railway facilities and such. The FR is definetely the worst sightseeing tour you may get in Rome. BTW, the proper regional trains for the FR1 service from FCO are pretty good inside, being the worst those spare trains coming from Tuscany or elsewhere.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:14 pm

You have to cross a few roads, walk up to Via Appia and again downstairs to the underground platforms.
I forgot to mention that there's a secondary exit at 'Via Adria'. Basically you can use the station as a pedestrian flyover and avoid the cross-road with via Tuscolana. This way you can save a few steps.
Not sure whether is still open, I don't use that exit usually, but I'm afraid I'll have to make use of that soon and then I'll report.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:46 pm
sk3
Suspended

FR1/Linea A, I mean Ostiense>>Tuscolana >> Ponte Lungo>>Cinecittà, is quicker.
FR1 runs every 15', it's usually on time. 1 stop and you get Tuscolana.

Tuscolana is unpleasant with bags because it is a dirty, tatty, miserable station, plenty of obstacles and stairs - guess totally out of law because of the obstacles, honestly. You have to cross a few roads, walk up to Via Appia and again downstairs to the underground platforms. Add a TATL flight, 20-30kg luggage, maybe the Summer sun and 40°, and that the outcome is not that great, when you have a bus that takes you straight to destination.
But if you are only commuting, you can make it easily.

The FR, Ferrovia Regionale, mass transit system is a wide railway network in the metro area and around it, but its infrastructure is not well integrated with the overground/underground system.
As usual, very poor maintenance, with trains and stations in poor conditions and vandalized, mini-slums alongside the network because of the new (lack of) policy re the gypsy community, deterioration of the areas surrounding the railway facilities and such. The FR is definetely the worst sightseeing tour you may get in Rome. BTW, the proper regional trains for the FR1 service from FCO are pretty good inside, being the worst those spare trains coming from Tuscany or elsewhere.
This is wonderful Alice11, thanks for all this info - and the link to the map is very helpful.

How much time do you think it would save taking the FR1 versus Linea B at Piramide to Linea A at Termini to Cinecittà?

Regarding the train/metro stations at Ostiense/Roma Porta S Paolo I think I understand the layout, and that everything is connected from the inside, right? - but it would be great if you don't mind checking my links to see that I have all this correctly?

To take the train to Ostia Antica I'd go in here:
Roma-Lido train station

To get the metro 'B' line I'd go in here:
Piramide metro stop

And to take the FR1 train I'd go in here:
Ostiense station

I actually see there are a couple of bus lines that I can take from close to where I'll be staying on the Aventine, the 175 and the 715, and that they both have stops for the Ostiense station (the "Partigiani" stop and the "Staz. Ostiense" stop).

Thanks again Alice11!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by sk3

How much time do you think it would save taking the FR1 versus Linea B at Piramide to Linea A at Termini to Cinecittà?
I'd say at least 20'-30', but it's only a quick personal assessment, no planning tool.

Originally Posted by sk3

To take the train to Ostia Antica I'd go in here:
Roma-Lido train station

To get the metro 'B' line I'd go in here:
Piramide metro stop

Ostiense station
It's ages since the last time I took the Roma-Lido, but yes, that is the station.
You can see that the 2 stations at Piramide - Linea B and Roma-Lido - are next to each other.

Ostiense: yes. Basically:
Overground=FR- lines, other Trenitalia trains and the new HS train service by NTV in Autumn (it's supposed to include a new, additional FCO-Ostiense service ran by NTV).
Underground= Linea B.

If you look at pic, on the the left you should notice the red-highlighted 'M' of the underground service.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:38 pm
sk3
Suspended

I'd say at least 20'-30', but it's only a quick personal assessment, no planning tool.
Ok, thanks. So it definitely does seem worth the effort of walking down the Via Gela from Tuscolana.

Ostiense: yes. Basically:

...Underground= Linea B.

If you look at pic, on the the left you should notice the red-highlighted 'M' of the underground service.
This is where I was a little confused. Yes, I do see the red M at the Piazzale dei Partigiani location. I didn't know if this accessed a metro stop that was in addition to the Piramide stop - or - if this accessed an underground walkway leading to the Piramide stop.

I hate to keep bothering you, but are there 2 metro stops here are just the one?

(And you seriously have great FT karma coming your way for all the help you provide!)
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by sk3

I hate to keep bothering you, but are there 2 metro stops here are just the one?
It's one: there's a walkway, no proper 'Ostiense' stop of Linea B, although is quite commonly called Ostiense, being that one the most important station where you get the underground from. No idea why they built 3 stations in a row!
It's all about Italian engineers, and their motto is 'Hurry up before we all come to our senses!'*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_B_(Rome_Metro) **

* King Julien, Madagascar 2
**Actually there's an error in that page: the area's name is 'EUR' rather 'Europa'. EUR stands for Esposizione Universale Roma '42

PS: I've just noticed now that you had mentioned San Paolo in your previous message, I suppose because of the connection. Honestly don't remember it what the layout is

Last edited by Alice11; Jul 12, 2011 at 1:18 pm
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:24 pm
sk3
Suspended

It's one: there's a walkway, no proper 'Ostiense' stop of Linea B, although is quite commonly called Ostiense, being that one the most important station where you get the underground from. No idea why they built 3 stations in a row!
It's all about Italian engineers, and their motto is 'Hurry up before we all come to our senses!'*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_B_(Rome_Metro) **

* King Julien, Madagascar 2
**Actually there's an error in that page: the area's name is 'EUR' rather 'Europa'. EUR stands for Esposizione Universale Roma '42
Very funny! Ok, I think I finally got it. Grazie Alice.

(I had checked out the wikis too - learned all about how Stazione Ostiense was built to impress Hitler! Roma Ostiense railway station )

If there's anything I can ever do to help you Los Angeles wise - pls let me know.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: northwest-platinum- hilton- diamond- starwoods- Marriott
Rome Shuttle- cash- Credit?

Does Rome Shuttle take credit cards, or is it cash?

Thanks I am headed to the Cavalieri for a second time , but its been a few years

Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Same same

Originally Posted by KyRoamer
Train is excellent choice. I forget price. At some point, if traveling in a group a taxi will make economic sense. Two of us trained to town and used a car service to get back to the airport.
^^
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:30 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by redeyedgirl
Does Rome Shuttle take credit cards, or is it cash?

Thanks I am headed to the Cavalieri for a second time , but its been a few years

Thanks
If you're referring to Rome Shuttle Limousine linked here (there are a LOT of car services with some combination of those 3 words!):
http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/...t-transfer.php

then their policy as you can see on the linked page is cash OR credit card (and no cc is required when making the reservation).

I've used them many times and continue to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.