Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Consorzio Motoscafi - water taxis in Venice area (English) website

● Alilaguna public boat (water bus) (English) website

● Public Transit (bus, vaporetti smaller local boats, etc. - English) website

● Marco Polo VCE Airport directions to docks for Alilaguna and Motoscafi web page

● Marco Polo VCE airport baggage carts (to haul baggage to docks) web page
Print Wikipost

Venice water taxi

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Cattle Class
All , I just checked the forecast looks like venice will have t-storm on the days i'm there, lucky me. does the water taxi still operates? if the sea route is not possible what are the other ways to get to venice? (i arrive 9pm)

thx!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ConsultantA
All , I just checked the forecast looks like venice will have t-storm on the days i'm there, lucky me. does the water taxi still operates? if the sea route is not possible what are the other ways to get to venice? (i arrive 9pm)

thx!
Yes they run, and rain or shine.

most of the western half of the lagoon is only about 1 meter deep. east of the danieli is deeper. it is necessary to cut canals in the lagoon from the airport to the E&R to be able to drive boats.

every taxi I have ever seen has a cabin for passengers. you can sit in the open at the very rear of the taxi.

You can get a bus/taxi to the west end of venice, then walk to the hotel. walk is probably 3 km or so, and over half a dozen or so bridges, totally avoiding water transport.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Their appears to be a new Alilaguna service in addition to the blue and the red line. Linea Ora, the golden line, takes you into St. Marc's square without stops in about 40 minutes for the bargain fare of 25 Euro. It is leaving every hour.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Their appears to be a new Alilaguna service in addition to the blue and the red line. Linea Ora, the golden line, takes you into St. Marc's square without stops in about 40 minutes for the bargain fare of 25 Euro. It is leaving every hour.
Traditionally, the Gold Line is summer/seasonal route.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:26 pm

Yikes, that's a little pricey, ehhhh? I think I paid €12 for the Alilaguana when I was in Venice 2 months ago.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdemaria

When you leave baggage claim look for the porters wearing the blue overcoats. They run the minibus to/from arrivals to the dock. I can't remember the exact price, but it is set, and cost three of us something around 50Eu for baggage assistance.
€50 is serious money for a trip that can be walked in 5 min. we rode a free bus that went around a large loop on one occasion, but if you walk, the trip is only a couple hundred meters.

from baggage claims go east. wheeled luggage works. all level ground, no steps, no bridges.

porters are very expensive in Venice.

there was a place in the terminal that sold tickets for the taxi. do not know if still there.

there have always been taxi waiting when we got there.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Yikes, that's a little pricey, ehhhh? I think I paid €12 for the Alilaguana when I was in Venice 2 months ago.
The other Alilaguna boats still run about 12Eu/ow - the increased price for the "Gold" is the result of its status as an express.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
€50 is serious money for a trip that can be walked in 5 min. we rode a free bus that went around a large loop on one occasion, but if you walk, the trip is only a couple hundred meters.

from baggage claims go east. wheeled luggage works. all level ground, no steps, no bridges.

porters are very expensive in Venice.

there was a place in the terminal that sold tickets for the taxi. do not know if still there.

there have always been taxi waiting when we got there.
I don't usually use the porters precisely b/c of the cost. This was a very specific situation when it was a necessity.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Money buys time....

But to be honest: If I were in need for a new business, I would open a "share a taxi boat ageny" in Venice. No problem to get 8 pax in a taxi boat. If you offer the 25 Eurp rate of Alilaguna Gold but a journey time of 20 minutes only, you can make a fortune...
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Money buys time....

But to be honest: If I were in need for a new business, I would open a "share a taxi boat ageny" in Venice. No problem to get 8 pax in a taxi boat. If you offer the 25 Eurp rate of Alilaguna Gold but a journey time of 20 minutes only, you can make a fortune...
Trust me, this will never happen b/c of the hold the Consorzio Motoscafi has on the city.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Trust me, this will never happen b/c of the hold the Consorzio Motoscafi has on the city.
That is what I am afraid of...
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:31 am

The Water Taxi operators in Venice make cab drivers look like angels
Old Aug 23, 2007, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobinSZ
The Water Taxi operators in Venice make cab drivers look like angels
Old Mar 5, 2008, 5:17 pm

Given the weak state of the US$ compared to the Euro, do the water taxi fans still think it is worthwhile? MissBumpMe! and I are headed to VCE late this month and we're not sure that's the best route for our budget.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by BumpMe!
Given the weak state of the US$ compared to the Euro, do the water taxi fans still think it is worthwhile? MissBumpMe! and I are headed to VCE late this month and we're not sure that's the best route for our budget.

Any input would be appreciated.
The water taxi from the airport is a luxury. Whether it costs $130 (when I visited 8 months ago, and passed) or $160 now. It's money you could spend on a nicer dinner, a rooom with a better view, whatever. If you have the money to spend, it is "the" way to arrive in Venice. Alilaguna boat shuttle is fine, though longer and a bit warm some months. Land bus to P. Roma is fine; I took it on the way from my cruise to the airport (have to make it form the terminal to the bus) but it's a public bus on your luxury vacation. I will likely do Alilaguna next time I want a boat, and land taxi next time I want a car. I wouldn't to the bus if on a trip at this stage in life - saving $40 on a $5000 trip is silly. Saving $350 on round trip water taxi... worth considering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.