Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Consorzio Motoscafi - water taxis in Venice area (English) website

● Alilaguna public boat (water bus) (English) website

● Public Transit (bus, vaporetti smaller local boats, etc. - English) website

● Marco Polo VCE Airport directions to docks for Alilaguna and Motoscafi web page

● Marco Polo VCE airport baggage carts (to haul baggage to docks) web page
Print Wikipost

Venice water taxi

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 9:38 am
MFM
Original Poster

Venice water taxi

I've been told that booked in advance it is close to $100 but if I just arrived and got on a taxi, it will be about $12.00. Does anyone know anything about the water taxi rates from the Venice airport into town.
Old May 24, 2007, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by MFM
I've been told that booked in advance it is close to $100 but if I just arrived and got on a taxi, it will be about $12.00. Does anyone know anything about the water taxi rates from the Venice airport into town.
You have misunderstood. A water taxi from the airport will cost about $100 whether you book in advance or not. The taxi takes you from the airport to your hotel (or wherever you're headed), and you have exclusive use of the taxi.

The $12 ride is the airport "bus" that is a boat ride from the airport to San Marco, with a few stops in between. Once at San Marco, you are on your own to get to where you're headed.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:09 am
MFM
Original Poster

thank you
Old May 24, 2007, 10:15 am

Programs: DM/3MM
If you've never been to Venice, the $100 is worth it. Especially coming off a TATL.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MFM
I lived in Venice for two years & go back about every three months. The prior posts are correct - you were misinformed about the issue of price/reservation.

Four options for transport from VCE airport to the city

Water Taxi - its now 100 EU = so closer to $135 US to go from the airport to the destination of your choice. If you have more than 4 passengers, the price will increase. Takes about 20 minutes

Alilaguna Boat - this is the = to a waterbus, fare is 15EU/ow and will drop you at Arsenale or San Marco or Fondamente Nuove (depends on which line you take) and then its up to you to find your way to your destination, takes about 35 minutes to drop off point

Land Taxi - about 15EU, drops you off at Piazzale Roma (about 20 minutes)- from there you can catch a vaporetto (a water bus) or take a water taxi - the minimum rate for the latter w/in town is now 50EU,

Land Bus - public bus (orange and stops a lot) 1 or 2 EU - about 45 minutes, Blue Bus - non stop - about 20 minutes.

For the Piazzale Roma options - it can take another hour to get to your destination, it all depends on where you are staying in the city. If you haven't been there before, get PRECISE directions including references to landmarks (i.e., next to church of S. Maria Formosa), etc.. b/c "street numbers" will do you no good.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Your other option is to take the 'land' bus (AVTO) from the airport (e3) to the main bus station (Piazale Roma) in Venice, from there you can get the vaporatto (water bus) to all the main hotels/areas in Venice. Have your hotel tell you what is the closest stop. You can buy a day or multi day pass for it, which is better than buying individual trips--as in Venice, you'll be taking it alot! Here are the rates: http://www.actv.it/english/navigazio...iffe_vaporetto

But if you have a lot of luggage, this may not be your best bet. If that is the case, go with the e12 Alilaguna which goes from the airport to San Marco as Wideman suggested.
Old May 24, 2007, 12:32 pm

We took a water taxi from our hotel to the train station in Venice and it was about $80 USD. It was so cool though. Not all that fancy, but but just amazing to be on your own little boat going under the bridges. It was really, really something.
Old May 24, 2007, 5:31 pm

We paid 95 Euros for 4 people with luggage (22" bag plus one carryon each) from the airport to S. Stefano the first part of May. That was the walk-up price for a water taxi. I saw websites where you could reserve in advance with meet-at-the-airport services for a few more Euros. I can't imagine any good reason to reserve ahead of time, the walk wasn't that far (felt good to stretch my legs!) and there were certainly enough taxis waiting around.

Yes, very cool way to see Venice for the first time.
Old May 26, 2007, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The Alilaguna is painfully slow. I think you could swim faster. There seem to be several routes, some with fewer stops, but every one I've been on has stopped at Murano and Lido before San Marco. The views of the city are wonderful and it can be refreshing to be on the water after a plane journey. Count on an hour - 35 minutes is unheard of in my experience.

There used to be a bus from the terminal to the Alilaguna/Water taxi docks, but when we were there in April there was no bus and it was about a 10-15 minute walk. The walk is covered with sun screens.

If you buy a Venice Pass one version included the Alilaguna at a discounted price. You can reserve the Venice Pass online and there is a pickup window at the airport on your left as you emerge from Baggage Claim/Customs.

I've always wanted to do the water taxi, but at EU100 I can have a nice dinner instead.
Old May 27, 2007, 2:57 pm

If you are driving (from Vienna) would still park at the airport? If not where, and how would you then suggest getting to the new Hilton (in Oct)
Old May 27, 2007, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by frankhi
If you are driving (from Vienna) would still park at the airport? If not where, and how would you then suggest getting to the new Hilton (in Oct)
No, you park at the public lot in Piazzale Roma - which is much closer than the airport. You can take a vaporetto (water bus) or water taxi from PR to the Hilton - which is located on the Giudecaa, not in Venice proper.
Old May 27, 2007, 6:03 pm

IMO, the 100 euros for the water taxi after a TATL and with heavy luggage is money well-spent. It's a great ride!

If the cost seems steep, skip the gondola.
Old May 27, 2007, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by schwarm
IMO, the 100 euros for the water taxi after a TATL and with heavy luggage is money well-spent. It's a great ride!

If the cost seems steep, skip the gondola.
I completely agree with schwarm and others in highly recommending the Water Taxi. ^
Old May 28, 2007, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by frankhi
If you plan to go with public service (water bus), Park at Tronchetto, not in Piazzale Roma ! It has more space and is slightly cheaper. From there you are closer to Hilton (Giudecca Island, stop Palanca, Line 82), you have 10 minutes less than from Piazzale Roma.
If you plan to go by taxi, Tronchetto might be again cheaper as it is closer.
Anyway, the Hotel has a shuttle service: perhaps you should check if they would pick u up at Piazzale Roma and/or Tronchetto.

BTW, I visited the new HILTON yesterday as I live round the corner and it is really an impressive building and probably a great place to stay ! You will enjoy fantastic and romantic sunrises and sunsets on the lagoon ! And YES, Giudecca is considered part of Venice, not like other islands (Lido, Murano, Burano etc.).
Old May 31, 2007, 2:52 pm

Anele, thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.