Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help - Milan to Lakes Region

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Help - Milan to Lakes Region

My partner and I will be going next month on the YYZ-LCA trip. On the return, we will have one night in Milan. I had been thinking we would take the train from MXP and spend the night in Milan, but someone had suggested that the Lakes region was only 20 minutes away from MXP and might be a good alternative to the 45-50 minute trip into Milan. That sounds appealing to me, as I have been to Milan once before but have always wanted to see the Lakes region. I am looking for information about how one gets to the Lakes region from MXP (train, rental car, etc.), which town to stay in, and any other advice. We will be arriving into MXP from LCA a little before 1 pm on a Friday and will be flying out from MXP the next morning.

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 7:39 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
You can easily take the train into Como. I have only overnighted there once, and in a hostel, so I can't help you with where to stay. Since you have a night (and part of a day) it might be ideal to go on a boat tour of the lake, its beautiful and you can get off and on wherever you want and explore.

If you just have one night and are tired/want to take it easy, I would rent a car or take a cab (expensive but saves time and hassle). I would actually cab/train it into Milan, get a hotel room and maybe hastily try to arrange to see a an opera or play at La Scala (something I've never done). The hotel could probably arrange it. You could do that and get a great meal, maybe wander around a bit (one of my favorite past times in Italy), and then get a good night's sleep before flying out the next day.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:06 am

Programs: CO-Plat, DL-Gold
Originally Posted by Jamoldo
You can easily take the train into Como.

Is there a train from MXP to Como? My understanding was that there wasn't a train connection between Malpensa and Como without going south through Milan Central. But perhaps things have changed since I was there a few years ago!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Socaflyer
....... I have been to Milan once before but have always wanted to see the Lakes region. I am looking for information about how one gets to the Lakes region from MXP (train, rental car, etc.), which town to stay in, and any other advice. We will be arriving into MXP from LCA a little before 1 pm on a Friday and will be flying out from MXP the next morning.

Thanks!
Try Rick Steve's site (http://ricksteves.com/plan/destinati...ly/498lake.htm ) his book has more info. He has a chapter on the Lakes region IIRC he talks about how to get there from Milan. I myself made the drive from Milan to Bellagio and it is very beautiful.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 9:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Think that timing was over-optimistic. Perhaps if you hired a car and drove very fast? There's an occasional bus to Como from MXP which takes about an hour but I don't think there are any trains.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:24 am

Programs: Air NZ *E, IHG Ambassador, Qantas Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, HH Gold
I would recommend that you visit a town on Lake Como called Varenna and stay at the Hotel du Lac (http://www.albergodulac.com/english.html)

You can get there by car or train. By car: take the SS36 Milano - Lecco - Varenna.
By train (1 hour): on the Milano - Sondrio line; station: Varenna/Esino.

My husband and I stayed here for two nights and it was one of the highlights of our time in Italy.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Depending upon how much luggage and/or tired you are, you can take the Express Bus from MXP into Milan. It takes 40min-1hr and stops at the central train station. From there, there are frequent trains to Cumo. From the Cumo train stop it's about a 5-10 min walk to the lake/boat dock, where you'll find a variety of boats giving tours of the lake with stops at the many towns situated up and down Lake Cumo. It is a beautiful lake, and if you have the opportunity, don't miss it. As for Milan itself, I found it a very easy and enjoyable city to walk around in, with lots of interesting sights / restaurants/ shopppes etc.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Bellagio, Varenna and the old town area of Como all are good lake choices. Como and Varenna are served by train from Milan. Bellagio is reached by ferry from Varenna or Como, or by bus. Another easy but more costly transportation option is to hire a car and driver for door-to-door service.

http://www.autonoleggioairoldi.com
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by directcj
I myself made the drive from Milan to Bellagio and it is very beautiful.
I did that ride (well, from MXP) in the rain, behind a very slow truck from Como to Bellagio and was in tears by the time I arrived!
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I don't think 20 minutes is all that optimistic. Everyone is stuck on the idea of going to Como. Lago Maggiore is much closer. Arona is 20 minutes by train from Gallarate (the town closest to MXP). The trains aren't all that frequent so you may prefer to rent a car.

While Lago Maggiore may not be quite as scenic as Como (at least this part of Lago Maggiore, it is a lot closer and is still quite pleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.