Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2006, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Flying to Rome

I am flying to Rome mid-March 11-18 and the more stories I hear about airport changes and lost luggage the more I am thinking of taking a direct flight. I am in DC and could easily do a direct flight from another city if necessary and if the price is right. For example PHL, NYC, etc. I notice prices now for the time I want seem to be in $600 to $700 , $800 range now. I am looking for recommendations on the best airline/service/etc to take and city to fly from from your experince.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by citylover
I am flying to Rome mid-March 11-18 and the more stories I hear about airport changes and lost luggage the more I am thinking of taking a direct flight. I am in DC and could easily do a direct flight from another city if necessary and if the price is right. For example PHL, NYC, etc. I notice prices now for the time I want seem to be in $600 to $700 , $800 range now. I am looking for recommendations on the best airline/service/etc to take and city to fly from from your experince.

I don't find it "easy" to fly out of either NYC or PHL from DC. to phl, it is a 2 hr drive(better leave 4 hrs if driving up I95) the drive back after the transatlantic is about a million miles. double all that for ewr, and triple it for jfk. doing train and cab is equally painfull with cab transfers.

Luggage loss is not very frequent. I am probably a typical traveler, and have never had luggage lost. Had it delayed into ASP, LHR(took 3 days),blq(2x because of 45 min transfer),moscow(took 2 days) in the past 15 years.

Aspen was the biggest problem as the luggage had our ski boots.

I think the loss ratio is probably greatly reduced if you stay on the same airline.

If there are things you must have, mail them air pp to italy is $30 for 5 lbs.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

any advice from others who have done this trip?

Originally Posted by slawecki
I don't find it "easy" to fly out of either NYC or PHL from DC. to phl, it is a 2 hr drive(better leave 4 hrs if driving up I95) the drive back after the transatlantic is about a million miles. double all that for ewr, and triple it for jfk. doing train and cab is equally painfull with cab transfers.

Luggage loss is not very frequent. I am probably a typical traveler, and have never had luggage lost. Had it delayed into ASP, LHR(took 3 days),blq(2x because of 45 min transfer),moscow(took 2 days) in the past 15 years.

Aspen was the biggest problem as the luggage had our ski boots.

I think the loss ratio is probably greatly reduced if you stay on the same airline.

If there are things you must have, mail them air pp to italy is $30 for 5 lbs.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:03 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've done it connecting through PHL (UA -> US) and had no checked bag problems. We were in Business Class.

At the prices you quote, you're looking at coach fares. So the question is, which airline has the best coach?

You'd do best to cross the Atlantic in UA's coach (and secure Economy+ through status or buy-up) but get the E+ at time of booking! Then connect on LH from, say, MUC.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
We flew into Rome in August through Munich on LH and it took over 2 hours to receive most of our bags. I say most since I never received my bag until the next day.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dlwalt
We flew into Rome in August through Munich on LH and it took over 2 hours to receive most of our bags. I say most since I never received my bag until the next day.

Baggage at FCO is probably handled by local staff, so 2 hrs is probably a local issue. sounds like a union slowdown to me.

The next day is most likely an LH issue. LH with the 45-60 min or so transfers at both FRA and MUC off of wide bodies, a lot of bags miss the continuing flight.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The average for baggage "inconvenience" is about 6.5 reports per 1,000 passengers. Check in early, assure sufficient time between connections, mark your bag(s) prominently, keep a description (I actualy use a digital photo on my camera's memory card to show baggage personnel) in case you needd to fill out a missing baggage report, include identifying information outside (and I highly recommend identifying data and an itinerary inside in case the tags are torn off by airport machinery or...) don't pack anything very valuable and avoid packing anything that might set of a scanner at your departure point (fruitcake, semi-solids like soap, chocolate, etc. in sizes that might resemble a packet of explosives,) secure the baggage with TSA-approved locks and you should better those odds.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
secure the baggage with TSA-approved locks and you should better those odds.
Who sells these at a low, low price??
Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Who sells these at a low, low price??
Not sure how much you want to pay but found these:
The locks are priced at $19.85 for a pair and are available through Magellan's.

http://www.safeskieslocks.com/
$7.99 ea or $2@ $14.99

http://www.travelsentry.org/

Brookstone sells the larger combination locks for $20 a pair.

http://www.amazon.com
(under Apparel) Price: $7.75 ex
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:39 pm

Target has a few hanging on the hooks to pick from. I recall that they weren't THAT overpriced.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
The average for baggage "inconvenience" is about 6.5 reports per 1,000 passengers. Check in early, assure sufficient time between connections, mark your bag(s) prominently, keep a description (I actualy use a digital photo on my camera's memory card to show baggage personnel) in case you needd to fill out a missing baggage report, include identifying information outside (and I highly recommend identifying data and an itinerary inside in case the tags are torn off by airport machinery or...) don't pack anything very valuable and avoid packing anything that might set of a scanner at your departure point (fruitcake, semi-solids like soap, chocolate, etc. in sizes that might resemble a packet of explosives,) secure the baggage with TSA-approved locks and you should better those odds.
Great tips, especially the photo idea. ^
Old Sep 26, 2006, 5:32 pm

Programs: CO - silver, dl plat, spg plat, Marriot plat
Just make sure that you are not flying Alitalia. They are horrible when it comes to handleing bags. A couple of months ago I was flying EWR-FCO-TLV and on the TLV end we found out that they 'forgot' to load any bags onto the aircraft. I don't think that you will have problems from any bags that leave on a US flight, but watch out when leaving FCO. And be sure to pack an extra shirt and boxers.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

TLVorbust - I heard a lot of negative comments about Alitalia so I have decided to stay away from them. A direct flight from the USA to Rome should hopefully not be an issue for my luggage ...lost or delayed... (I hope anyway).

I do plan to fly coach & direct.

roberto99 said I should try to find which airline has the best coach. So if anyone has any feedback on that I'd appreciate it.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Noticed that USAirways prices have really jumped since yesterday and Air France is having a sale that ends Oct 3rd.

TLVorbust - I heard a lot of negative comments about Alitalia so I have decided to stay away from them. A direct flight from the USA to Rome should hopefully not be an issue for my luggage ...lost or delayed... (I hope anyway).

roberto99 said I should try to find which airline has the best coach. So if anyone has any feedback on that I'd appreciate it.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:42 pm

I posted above: "You'd do best to cross the Atlantic in UA's coach (and secure Economy+ through status or buy-up) but get the E+ at time of booking! Then connect on LH from, say, MUC."

UA's coach beats the rest if you book Economy Plus since you are assured an extra 4-5 inches of legroom.

But, UA doesn't fly to FCO in the last 10 years or so. So that would mean a connection somewhere in Europe.

BTW, airlines use the term "direct" to mean one stop service. they even stretch this to mean a connection with the same flight number on twt very different planes.

OP, I suspect that you wanted "non-stop" service to FCO from somewhere in the USA. that narrows the choices to perhaps AZ (ick), US, DL, and AA. And they ALL have very nasty coach seating!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.