Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Italy Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2005, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for all the comments about what we should try to tackle in 7 days. From a purely uninformed perspective, Venice seems to have more to do than Florence proper (the area around Florence seems very robust, though). It just feels a little wrong to go to Italy for the first time and not go to Venice. What if we just did Venice and Rome? Is this conceivable in 7 days without losing my gourd? I don't mind moving around when I travel.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 6:20 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Any advice on trains in Italy between Rome, Florence and Venice? Any help, public or private, is greatly appreciated.
What sort of advice did you want?

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html (the english version) provides info on schedules, promos, pricing, stations etc.

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/orari_b...sto/index.html gives more specific answers to questions you might have.

We have always found 2nd class to be sufficient over 1st. Guess it depends on what you are comfortable with for yourself.

Hope this helps. Bona fortuna

DD
Old Jul 17, 2005, 6:43 pm

Programs: 1K
Thanks for all the comments about what we should try to tackle in 7 days. From a purely uninformed perspective, Venice seems to have more to do than Florence proper (the area around Florence seems very robust, though). It just feels a little wrong to go to Italy for the first time and not go to Venice. What if we just did Venice and Rome? Is this conceivable in 7 days without losing my gourd? I don't mind moving around when I travel.
I agree with your perception that it would just be wrong to go to Italy and not go to Venice!

That's not a bad idea. There's lots to see in/around VCE - including just sitting in the cafes absorbing the atmosphere while you nosh on biscotti or tiramisu (which is unbelievably good there!!). And obviously it's easy to kill 3 or four days in Rome alone. You might find this a more enjoyable way to spend your time without feeling harried rather than trying to cram everything in to one week.

Or, you could rent a car straight from FCO airport and drive yourself to Venice and enjoy the scenery on the way. By doing this you you'll be on your own time schedule and not have to worry about clearing customs and making the train on time etc. Also, there's a highway right there so it's pretty easy to find your way around (unlike figuring out city streets which sometimes look more like alleys). Either do a one-way drop off, or rent it for the week and leave it at/near the VCE train station. Then when you're ready to move on to Florence, you can go at your own pace if you keep the car or you'll be able to catch an easy train connection. Either way, it's all about making it convenient and therefore more relaxing and enjoyable.

If you choose to rent a car I absolutely do not recommend driving it in the big cities. Find a drop-off point in the suburbs and make your way into the city by other means.

DD
Old Jul 17, 2005, 9:13 pm
At Large

Originally Posted by Daringdoo
I
If you choose to rent a car I absolutely do not recommend driving it in the big cities. Find a drop-off point in the suburbs and make your way into the city by other means.

DD
That's nonsense;with the exception of Firenze I drive into every town and city in Italy. Rome is not so bad and signs are good and, if you look at a map ahead of time and know the general direction you need to go to
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Having been to Italy 7 times (our favorite country!) and travelled all over by car, train, and plane, I would strongly agree with Lance and Slawicki-- for only 7 days, just do Rome and Florence and save Venice for your next trip
(along with Milan, Verona, and Lago di Como!). Besides the train time itself, the itinerary you're proposing involves a bunch of time getting to the stations, finding your trains, hauling your luggage around, and getting to your hotels. It's a vacation! La Dolce Vita! There is SO much to see in Rome, as well as in Florence (as well as side trips to Tivoli and to some around Florence) that it would be a waste to spend so much of your time in transit on only a 7 day trip! Venice is definitely worth seeing, but IMHO, it is a VERY touristy and crowded city. When in Rome, make sure you see St. John in Laterno, the 2nd largest church.... most tourists don't make it over there.. just west of the Colisseum. Arrividerci!
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by parnel
That's nonsense;with the exception of Firenze I drive into every town and city in Italy. Rome is not so bad and signs are good and, if you look at a map ahead of time and know the general direction you need to go to
I'm not to hot on driving in Bologna either. The roads and signs are OK, but the Garages are €25 a day, hard to find an empty one. Venice is also expensive to park.

I have not really had a problem getting in and out of Florence. I usually go to/from the hotel and to/from the car rental agency. We usually have immense quantities of luggage and product, and store it in the hotel. Parking rates in Florence are unbelievable.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:53 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Train reservation help!

Does anyone know which 1st class "carriage" on the Eurostar is better (does it even matter?)? Also, which "seat" is closest to the luggage area so that I can keep a close eye on my belongings? Thanks in advance.

LAX
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:39 pm

Personally, I don't agree with the philosophy of "must see Rome, Florence, Venice etc" in one trip. Why not leave something for a future trip? These cities are some of the most worthwhile destinations in the world, it seems a pity to abandon two thirds of the sights in one to rush off to the other.

In general, train is the way to go in Italy unless you want to visit small villages or sights out of town. To visit the large cities train + taxi is convenient and cheaper. Just don't carry a ridiculous amount of luggage!
Old Oct 9, 2005, 10:18 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Main difference(s) between ES and IC trains?

Originally Posted by slawecki
,,,I prefer first on the IC's as opposed to the ES, as they are much less expensive and not that much slower.
Checking on trenitalia.com for trains from Venice to Milan, there are ICs and ESs. ESs are a few Euros more and 15 minutes less travelling time. Should I splurge?
Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Shirley TerMaat
When in Rome, make sure you see St. John in Laterno, the 2nd largest church.... most tourists don't make it over there.. just west of the Colisseum. Arrividerci!
I assume you mean San Giovanni in Laterano, which is just east of the Colosseum.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 3:08 pm

Es

Originally Posted by belle3388
Checking on trenitalia.com for trains from Venice to Milan, there are ICs and ESs. ESs are a few Euros more and 15 minutes less travelling time. Should I splurge?
I prefer the ES. I was in Italy last month and we took the train from Milan to Venice, Vence to Florence, and Florence to Rome. We traveled 1st class on ES all the way.

LAX- At least in 1st class, there was a storage area for your luggage on each car of the train. There was plenty of room to stow our two large suitcases and my walker.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 4:15 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Originally Posted by kajsb
I prefer the ES. I was in Italy last month and we took the train from Milan to Venice, Vence to Florence, and Florence to Rome. We traveled 1st class on ES all the way.

LAX- At least in 1st class, there was a storage area for your luggage on each car of the train. There was plenty of room to stow our two large suitcases and my walker.
It will be ES first class then. Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Chuckles
I assume you mean San Giovanni in Laterano, which is just east of the Colosseum.
San Giovanni is the Cathedral of Rome and the Pope and a wonder to see. Not as spectular as St. Peter's Basilica, but definitely still something worthwhile to visit.

And if you do go, a short bus ride will take you to the Catacombs of Giovanni...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.