FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Italy Question
Thread: Italy Question
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2005, 8:43 pm
Shirley TerMaat

Programs: AA PLAT
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Thanks for all the comments about what we should try to tackle in 7 days. From a purely uninformed perspective, Venice seems to have more to do than Florence proper (the area around Florence seems very robust, though). It just feels a little wrong to go to Italy for the first time and not go to Venice. What if we just did Venice and Rome? Is this conceivable in 7 days without losing my gourd? I don't mind moving around when I travel.
Having been to Italy 7 times (our favorite country!) and travelled all over by car, train, and plane, I would strongly agree with Lance and Slawicki-- for only 7 days, just do Rome and Florence and save Venice for your next trip
(along with Milan, Verona, and Lago di Como!). Besides the train time itself, the itinerary you're proposing involves a bunch of time getting to the stations, finding your trains, hauling your luggage around, and getting to your hotels. It's a vacation! La Dolce Vita! There is SO much to see in Rome, as well as in Florence (as well as side trips to Tivoli and to some around Florence) that it would be a waste to spend so much of your time in transit on only a 7 day trip! Venice is definitely worth seeing, but IMHO, it is a VERY touristy and crowded city. When in Rome, make sure you see St. John in Laterno, the 2nd largest church.... most tourists don't make it over there.. just west of the Colisseum. Arrividerci!