Wiki Posts
Search

Italy Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2005, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Italy Question

I know this is horrendously off-topic, but I didn't get too much in the way of advice from other forums. The AA forum is rife with intelligent, experienced travelers.

Any advice on trains in Italy between Rome, Florence and Venice? Any help, public or private, is greatly appreciated.

We now return you to the previously started discussion on political signatures.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA 3MM, PLT
Check out www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/ for lots of info, including links.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 8:43 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I've used www.trenitalia.com with much success. Recently booked Rome -> Florence and back that way. Timetables, buy online with no service fee. Primo site. (Will be going Venice -> Rome in Feb)

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 9:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I think these FTers have got it covered - and European trains are generally MUCH better than any we have in the US. Buon viaggio a tutti!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Italian Rail is easy to use. Use the website above to view the schedules, you will find all the major routes have schedules throughout the day. all large train stations have self service kiosks, pop in your credit card and use the touchscreen to select the train, class, seat, etc...your ticket prints right out, its very easy.

enjoy italy!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Just did that exact itinerary on my honeymoon - flew into VCE and out of FCO. We picked up a car from Hertz on our last day of Venice... drove (and kept car) through Florence... and returned car upon arrival in Rome. Driving between cities was no problem.

Issues:
* Car was about $650 for a week - but wanted an automatic, and that was an issue - need to reserve in advance. Impacted price.
* Traffic in cities was much more difficult than between cities - driving for a few minutes in Rome was intimidating. And I'm used to LA traffic.
* Parking in Florence was VERY expensive - $250 for 3 days.

Didn't take the trains... so can't offer comparison... but apparently trains are difficult with a lot of luggage...
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:01 am

Programs: AA 1,000,000; Continental; Delta; Alitalia; TWA
I agree that www.trenitalia.com is decent site as I have been using it for years. It is a great tool to use not only for national trains, but also for regional trains when you need to get to a more remote town in Italy. It also carries information on passes, promotions, etc.
If you don't speak Italian remember to click the 'English" link at the top of the web page.
Note that both Roma and Firenze have several stations ROMA TE = Roma Termini (the main central station, which is served by both A and B metro lines); RO TIB = Roma Tiburtina (a bit further out and served by B metro line); FI.SMN = Firenze Santa Maria Novella (central station); FI C.M Firenze Campo di Marte (further from centre).
The quickest trains are Eurostar (sometimes still unofficially called the Pendolino), take just over 1 1/2 hours and run thoughout the day.
Oh, one more thing, remember to punch your ticket at the little yellow machine at the beginning of the track. Conductors may try to fine you otherwise (although they usually let foreigners slide).
Old Jul 9, 2005, 1:07 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
The main problem with luggage is that some of the stops are short so you have to get your stuff aboard very quickly.

I have taken the train from Venice to Florence and then from Florence to Rome. I had no problem at all. In fact, we ended up helping a woman from Chicago get her luggage on the train in Venice. She has become a dear friend.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

Great information, everyone! I knew the AA folks would have good intel.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Trenitalia

Depending on where you fly into, those cities have large central stations that have the comfortable Eurostar trains. These make less stops at the smaller cities in between so it's a quicker ride to each city.

When you book online through Trenitalia, you can print out your ticket from the yellow self-service machines in the train station. If you buy online, you'll look for a record locater number, they refer to it as a PNR number in case you get in line at the station to talk to a train agent to get your tickets printed out. The self-service machines are pretty comprehensive and will take cash if you want to wait to buy your tickets in Italy. However, I've encountered some machines that kept my change! The lines for talking to a warm body can be long, so the machines are a nice alternative.

When you can, it might be good to reserve a seat. It's a few more Euros, but it helps prevent you from being stuck standing in the aisle for a two-three hour trip. If you are going now or in August, there'll probably lots of people crowding the trains.

If you fly into Rome FCO, you can take the Leonardo Express into Rome Termini train station for E9.50. From there, you can catch the Eurostar to the other cities. Like the other posters said, in Firenze, the main station is Santa Maria Novella which will be right in the middle of town. Firenze is so small that you can walk around everywhere. Also, Termini is a transfer point between the A and B metro lines. A three day tourist pass is E11.00 and that enables you to take the subway and buses, but not the regionale trains or express to the airport. It's great to cut down on some of the walking between the major sights, like getting from the Vatican to the Colosseo.

To get to Venezia, you'll look for Venezia Santa Lucia. You can then take the vaporetto, the water bus, to get around the islands. These are located outside the station. A three day pass is like E12.00 if I remember correctly. If you're rich, you can take the water taxi. The vaporetto is great because they go all around Venezia and it's a cheap sightseeing tour if you want to see different parts of the area.

In Firenze, we went to a great restaurant called La Spada. We had the combo meal for E25.00 per person and that included antipasti, zuppa, the main course, and dulce della casa. We were so stuffed after that!

One cool thing we learned was that you can change your train reservation at the yellow self-service machine if you wanted to leave earlier than your planned trip, or later. It's just a matter of availability.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 9:06 pm

Some great info here.

Is first class worth the extra $30 or so for two of us to travel from Rome to Florence on the Eurostar? Also, Which seats are better? Two singles facing each other or two together facing two others?

TIA
Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by sapman986
Is first class worth the extra $30 or so for two of us to travel from Rome to Florence on the Eurostar? Also, Which seats are better? Two singles facing each other or two together facing two others?
Yes, it's worth it. Second class, especially in the summer, can be completely packed, and you end up sitting on your bags in the hall. Even with first class, if you don't reserve a seat, you can end up in the first class carriage without a seat.
For conversation I prefer side by side, but if the stranger across from you has long legs or you want to stretch out your legs you get leg room issues; so face to face is safer, even tho converstion is not as easy.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 5:49 am
Original Poster

What if I miss my train?

Originally Posted by lance6
Depending on where you fly into, those cities have large central stations that have the comfortable Eurostar trains. These make less stops at the smaller cities in between so it's a quicker ride to each city.

When you book online through Trenitalia, you can print out your ticket from the yellow self-service machines in the train station. If you buy online, you'll look for a record locater number, they refer to it as a PNR number in case you get in line at the station to talk to a train agent to get your tickets printed out. The self-service machines are pretty comprehensive and will take cash if you want to wait to buy your tickets in Italy. However, I've encountered some machines that kept my change! The lines for talking to a warm body can be long, so the machines are a nice alternative.

When you can, it might be good to reserve a seat. It's a few more Euros, but it helps prevent you from being stuck standing in the aisle for a two-three hour trip. If you are going now or in August, there'll probably lots of people crowding the trains.

If you fly into Rome FCO, you can take the Leonardo Express into Rome Termini train station for E9.50. From there, you can catch the Eurostar to the other cities. Like the other posters said, in Firenze, the main station is Santa Maria Novella which will be right in the middle of town. Firenze is so small that you can walk around everywhere. Also, Termini is a transfer point between the A and B metro lines. A three day tourist pass is E11.00 and that enables you to take the subway and buses, but not the regionale trains or express to the airport. It's great to cut down on some of the walking between the major sights, like getting from the Vatican to the Colosseo.

To get to Venezia, you'll look for Venezia Santa Lucia. You can then take the vaporetto, the water bus, to get around the islands. These are located outside the station. A three day pass is like E12.00 if I remember correctly. If you're rich, you can take the water taxi. The vaporetto is great because they go all around Venezia and it's a cheap sightseeing tour if you want to see different parts of the area.

In Firenze, we went to a great restaurant called La Spada. We had the combo meal for E25.00 per person and that included antipasti, zuppa, the main course, and dulce della casa. We were so stuffed after that!

One cool thing we learned was that you can change your train reservation at the yellow self-service machine if you wanted to leave earlier than your planned trip, or later. It's just a matter of availability.
Our plan is to land at FCO in the early morning, then hop on a train to Venice. If I buy tickets and make a reservation ahead of time, but my flight runs late and we miss our scheduled train, do we lose our tickets or can I rebook?
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pizzaman
Our plan is to land at FCO in the early morning, then hop on a train to Venice. If I buy tickets and make a reservation ahead of time, but my flight runs late and we miss our scheduled train, do we lose our tickets or can I rebook?
That's a crazy itenary. I assume you must fly to FCO instead of VCE, but you just bought a day on the train, instead of a day in Italy. You will arrive FCO, train to the train sta. then train for 5 or 6 or 8 so hours to VCE.

When you get to VCE, they have free luggage carts. Do not hire a porter in venice. they are very expensive. 5-6 per bag. After detraining, turn left across the front of the trains, then left again to the handicapped exit(not well marked) to avoid going down all those steps in the front of the train sta. Use the cart to take your luggage to the TAXI stand(to the left as you leave the sta), or to the correct vaporetto stand(there is more than one). If you take a water taxi, get a price first. I think a vaporetto ticket is more like 11 a day, and 60 a week. If staying a week, the one week vaporetto pass is actually a Visit Venice Red card. If you plan to go to the Ducal Palace, the ... church, and a half a dozen other places, look into one of the Venice cards, as the charge for many sites is about 10 each.

You do not loose your tickets if you miss your train. The seat res is specific, and a separate document. Make certain you stamp your tickets when you get on the train.

I prefer first on the IC's as opposed to the ES, as they are much less expensive and not that much slower. We also carry food and wine aboard.

Last edited by slawecki; Jul 10, 2005 at 7:26 am
Old Jul 10, 2005, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Award Ticket

Originally Posted by slawecki
That's a crazy itenary. I assume you must fly to FCO instead of VCE, but you just bought a day on the train, instead of a day in Italy. You will arrive FCO, train to the train sta. then train for 5 or 6 or 8 so hours to VCE.

When you get to VCE, they have free luggage carts. Do not hire a porter in venice. they are very expensive. 5-6 per bag. After detraining, turn left across the front of the trains, then left again to the handicapped exit(not well marked) to avoid going down all those steps in the front of the train sta. Use the cart to take your luggage to the TAXI stand(to the left as you leave the sta), or to the correct vaporetto stand(there is more than one). If you take a water taxi, get a price first. I think a vaporetto ticket is more like 11 a day, and 60 a week. If staying a week, the one week vaporetto pass is actually a Visit Venice Red card. If you plan to go to the Ducal Palace, the ... church, and a half a dozen other places, look into one of the Venice cards, as the charge for many sites is about 10 each.

You do not loose your tickets if you miss your train. The seat res is specific, and a separate document. Make certain you stamp your tickets when you get on the train.

I prefer first on the IC's as opposed to the ES, as they are much less expensive and not that much slower. We also carry food and wine aboard.

By the time I got around to booking, regular tickets from IAD/DCA were well on their way to $2K for a decent itinierary. I chose to use miles, which put me in and out of FCO for our trip. We are trying to see Venice, Florence and Rome (in that order) over the course of those 7 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.