Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Milan Malpensa airport question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2023, 11:55 pm

Thank you so much .
Great taxi is the way to go .
Current plan now is to go straight to Cinque Terre by train on the day of arrival at Linate.
The direct train departs 1210 Milano Centrale to La Spezia and the next non stop goes at 1405
I was thinking of buying first class tickets and either book the 1210 departure and, if delayed , I could transfer the booking to the 1405 .
Would it be better to do it this way or book the 1405 train and change to the earlier train if we get to Milano Centrale in good time .
What do you think?
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:37 am

Programs: LH SEN, AZ CFA
Book the 12.10.
About First Class, it depends on you, it has some 20% more space.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:18 am

Yes, you can book the 12.10 at the Economy fare. If you see that you're going to miss it, up to that time you can change to the next train paying the difference to the Base fare. Or, if you're worried about making the change from a mobile device in this situation, you can simply first book the Base fare and you have until an hour after the train you miss to make the change.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:28 am

Here's a description of what to expect on an Intercity. It's in Italian, but you can Google Translate it. Livelli di servizio - Trenitalia
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:56 pm

Thank you.
I assumed that the first class ticket would allow greater flexibility to change to a later train if I was delayed.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 8:33 pm

No, First and Second class have the same range of restrictions with different fare categories, starting with Super Economy being non-changeable, non-refundable.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by rove312
No, First and Second class have the same range of restrictions with different fare categories, starting with Super Economy being non-changeable, non-refundable.
Thank you.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
arriving at mxp in late april at 8am and want to make or way down to Naples on the train What are the transport options to Milano Centrale and what time train to Naples should I be looking at. 3 adults, carry on suitcases for each.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 1:30 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by worldiswide
arriving at mxp in late april at 8am and want to make or way down to Naples on the train What are the transport options to Milano Centrale and what time train to Naples should I be looking at. 3 adults, carry on suitcases for each.
https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

Punch in Malpensa for departure and Naples for destination on your day and you can see the options. Link is for English version. Useful to download the app.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 5:01 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by JMN57
https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

Punch in Malpensa for departure and Naples for destination on your day and you can see the options. Link is for English version. Useful to download the app.
The trick is to take the train to Milano Centrale station from the airport, not the faster train to Milano Cadorna station. The high-speed trains for Naples depart every hour from Milano Centrale.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 9:01 pm

Thanks for the responses. I am more interested in experiences of how long it will take to get out of MXP at that hour of the day. Traveling in J with carry on only.. Understand it will take an hour to get to Milano Centrale and that trains leave every 30 minutes, so could I expect to be on a Milan express by 930 or 10..

Not sure I understood the comment .. the trick is to take the train to train to milnao centrale not the faster train to cardona.. understand that I want to be at milano centrale.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 12:23 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Thanks for the responses. I am more interested in experiences of how long it will take to get out of MXP at that hour of the day. Traveling in J with carry on only.. Understand it will take an hour to get to Milano Centrale and that trains leave every 30 minutes, so could I expect to be on a Milan express by 930 or 10..

Not sure I understood the comment .. the trick is to take the train to train to milnao centrale not the faster train to cardona.. understand that I want to be at milano centrale.
The fast "Express" trains don't go to Centrale. They go to a station called "Cadorna", which is closer to the actual city center, and which historically had better local transport connections than Centrale. You'll want a (slightly) slower regional train, that stops more often along the way, but gets you straight into Centrale station.

60 minutes should be more than enough to get out of MXP if you don't have to wait for luggage. It's not that big, and the way to the train station is clearly signposted.

As for tickets: The ticket from MXP to MIlano Centrale is a regional train ticket, valid on any train. The morning departures on the Frecciarossa OTOH are usually more expensive than those departing in the later am. So my suggestion would be to look for tickets with a good fare/travel time ratio, departing from Milano (city) no earlier than 2:30 hrs after your scheduled arrival time, and then hop on the first regional train to Centrale leaving when you arrive at the platform at MXP (at minutes :13 or :43). This will give you an easy transfer in Milano with time to sip a coffee in between. If you change at Centrale, and have a bit of time, "Caffè Panzera" on the large square outside the station is better than any of the options inside Centrale station.

BTW it doesn't matter whether departure of your high speed train is from "Centrale" or "Porta Garibaldi" station, the regional train stops at both.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:02 am

Programs: LH SEN, AZ CFA
I'd book the 10.58 train from Milano Centrale (Train 9623), with just two stops (Bologna and Roma): tickets are on sale, now, at 51€ each in Standard.
This allows you a very smooth transfer from MXP and time for an espresso at Centrale station.

However search for a "Malpensa Aeroporto T1" departure: the system will probably suggest the 10332 train leaving MXP at 9.43 (arriving Centrale at 10.37).

As you write about "late april", please remember that April 25th is the National Day in Italy and lots of people could be travelling in that week until Labour Day.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by I.CRIS
I

As you write about "late april", please remember that April 25th is the National Day in Italy and lots of people could be travelling in that week until Labour Day.
For non-Italians the reference is to the period between April 25 and May 1.
obscure2k and I.CRIS like this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 4:28 pm

Thanks for all this detailed information. Just what I needed. Yes, we arrive on April 25 and leave Italy on May 2, so thanks for the holiday explanation. Does this mean closures of any kind of tourist places as well? Would hotels pricing also be more expensive at this time or do they just reflect getting into higher tourist season?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.