FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy-634/)
-   -   Milan Malpensa airport question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy/2093735-milan-malpensa-airport-question.html)

travelhive Sep 9, 2022 1:01 pm

Milan Malpensa airport question

We're flying JFK-MXP next week and I was wondering if there have been any problems at MXP lately. I know there were a multitude of issues earlier this summer due to strikes and flight cancellations, but are things relatively normal there now? And if I was foolish enough to check luggage, would there be a problem (ala AMS) in claiming it?

13901 Sep 9, 2022 1:08 pm

There haven't been 'a multitude' of issues, but indeed the LCCs had a nationwide strike. I think problems have been exaggerated. Baggage delivery has returned its normal self at MXP, i.e. not exactly fast, but not at AMS levels either.

Up In The Air Sep 14, 2022 6:52 am

I was there the other day and it seemed fine.

ozflier Feb 7, 2023 4:44 pm

Sorry if adding to this thread complicates things but
it does relate to MXP and transit to Milan.
I will be arriving at MXP from Addis Ababa at 0550 on a monday - We really want to go on a tour of the Lakes and Cinque Terre but the only one that anywhere fits departs that same morning at 0830 from the Starhotels Ritz, Via Lazzaro Spallanzani 40, Milano .
The tour company cannot pick up at MXP but suggested that they organise a car to get us to the hotel .
The airline is Ethiopian and we will be in business if that helps.
I understand the potential issues associated with international travel but , bearing that in mind , is this option possible ?
many thanks

tom tulpe Feb 8, 2023 5:37 am

Originally Posted by ozflier (Post 34994054)
I will be arriving at MXP from Addis Ababa at 0550 on a monday - We really want to go on a tour of the Lakes and Cinque Terre but the only one that anywhere fits departs that same morning at 0830 from the Starhotels Ritz, Via Lazzaro Spallanzani 40, Milano .
The tour company cannot pick up at MXP but suggested that they organise a car to get us to the hotel .
I understand the potential issues associated with international travel but , bearing that in mind , is this option possible ?
many thanks

Given the time of day (park hour traffic into Milan), I'd opt for the train - takes one hour to 1:15 from MXP to Porta Venezia metro station near the hotel, change at either Bovisa or Cadorna, depending on your connection.

But - Lakes and Cinque Terre? in one day? They're not exactly in the same direction from MIlan. Also, is this a stopover, and if so, where do you plan to store your luggage?

mreynolds767 Feb 8, 2023 10:17 am

many thanks

I would choose one or the other ; not both for one day and then you may not need a tour. Also, not sure which lake you mean probably Como but there are 3 completely different large lakes plus a few smaller ones in that region so if interested in a lake you would have to select one of them.
Can take a train to either location, would personally opt for Cinque Terre over any of the Lakes for a day trip location.
Cinque Terre hence the name is 5 separate towns. The best way to get around once you reach the first town is the local train, short trips between each town. A guide could drive you to one, but driving to more than 1 town makes zero sense even with a private driver it would be slower than the train. I really don't see a guide being of much assistance here unless you want to pay for a personalized porter to walk each step with you all day.
In season a ferry also runs to 4 of the towns which would be slower but could mix in for change of pace. You can also hike between some of the towns, have to check into the most recent trail updates as some of the paths always seem to be closed due a previous landslide.
For a day trip, I would personally train to Riomaggiore, the first town and then make my way to the others likely skipping the last Monterosso el Mare in the interest of time, as that is the largest of the towns. Each of the other 4 towns is tiny and can walk through each fairly quickly enjoying the views, stopping for a drink or bite.
Check out the Milan train schedules and compare the times of the train vs. what google maps says the drive times are like to see if a driver would be even worth it time wise, not even factoring in the cost.
You may need to book the train ticket from Milan to La Spieza. From La Speiza the local train that goes to each of the 5 towns starts.

RomeUARA Feb 8, 2023 11:15 am

many thanks

Hi, I suggest to book the train ticket from Milan to La Spezia.

JMN57 Feb 8, 2023 12:02 pm

ozflier didn't say the lakes/5Terre was a day trip - just a tour of the two. If it is a day trip, don't take it - it would be insane especially after a 5:50AM redeye arrival.

If it is not, a car service to get you to the hotel is probably better than taking the train. By car, it should be about an hour so you would have to be able to get out of MXP after immigration, luggage retrieval and customs by 7:15AM or so. In my experience, I'm usually through everything in 30-40 minutes but that is arriving from the US.

Alternatively, if they are leaving that hotel @ 8:30AM perhaps you could meet them at their first stop? If it is Como, that would be pretty easy. Not knowing particulars about the tour (mode of transport, itinerary...) it's hard to guess about what options might be doable.

BobFF68 Feb 8, 2023 8:28 pm

We really want to go on a tour of the Lakes and Cinque is this option possible ?
many thanks

is it possible? technically yes
Is it a good idea, relaxing or even enjoyable? in my opinion it isn't. As mentioned above just choose the lake (Como?) or Cinque Terre, both is insane to me. From Milano to Como it takes around one hour driving, same or a bit more if you chose lago Maggiore (Stresa). Then from either lakes to Cinque Terre is around 3.5 to 4 hours driving and then you have to go back to Milan, thus you will spend almost 10 hours in a car, and this is not yet considering the transfer from MXP to the city and back, another 2 hours.

I.CRIS Feb 9, 2023 1:56 am

Easily doable: a taxi will take roughly one hour (at fixed price) to go there.
When the plane lands on time you can expect to leave MXP at 06.30.

ozflier Feb 9, 2023 3:09 pm

Sorry to be confusing .
The tour is a 5 day one incorporating the places i mentioned.
And thank you for your responses.

ozflier Feb 13, 2023 12:31 am

Thank you .
The airline has changed its itinerary and the above trip is not doable .
I now arrive at Linate at 1015 and the company want to book me on a train to Monterosso del Mare for a 1210 departure from Milan Centrale .
Is this doable or too tight ?
Thanking you.

JMN57 Feb 13, 2023 6:19 am

Originally Posted by ozflier (Post 35007239)
Thank you .
I now arrive at Linate at 1015 and the company want to book me on a train to Monterosso del Mare for a 1210 departure from Milan Centrale .
Thanking you.

Couple of questions. Where are you coming from (will you have to pass through immigration/customs)? Will you have checked luggage?

Linate is fairly close to Milano Centrale (<10km) so, if there is no traffic, can be done as fast as 15 minutes but traffic in Milano is something you should anticipate. I wouldn't worry if I didn't have to clear immigration and had no checked luggage. Add those (plus the possibility of a late arrival) and it gets riskier. You should know when the next train is as back up.

I.CRIS Feb 14, 2023 12:12 am

Originally Posted by ozflier (Post 35007239)
Thank you .
Thanking you.

Easily doable: LIN is a small airport, mainly with Schengen flights (so no big hassle for Passport control if arriving extra-Schengen) and focused on business travel (I don't expect to wait that much for luggage delivery).
A taxi will take, at that time in the morning (not peak hour), around 20 minutes to go to Stazione Centrale and will cost you some 40€ (my safest choice if I were you).
If you want to save money, you could also go via public transport (bus 73 + bus 91 or 92) or express bus service (two private companies, leaving every 30 minutes, check https://www.milano-aeroporti.it/lina...tle/index.html and https://www.airportbusexpress.it/Ima...le-Linate-.pdf).

I'd personally take the bus, but I'm Italian, I know LIN, Milano and Stazione Centrale more or less like my own pockets.

ckendall Feb 15, 2023 10:10 am

Originally Posted by I.CRIS (Post 35009949)
Easily doable: LIN is a small airport, mainly with Schengen flights (so no big hassle for Passport control if arriving extra-Schengen) and focused on business travel (I don't expect to wait that much for luggage delivery).
A taxi will take, at that time in the morning (not peak hour), around 20 minutes to go to Stazione Centrale and will cost you some 40€ (my safest choice if I were you).
If you want to save money, you could also go via public transport (bus 73 + bus 91 or 92) or express bus service (two private companies, leaving every 30 minutes, check https://www.milano-aeroporti.it/lina...tle/index.html and https://www.airportbusexpress.it/Ima...le-Linate-.pdf).

I'd personally take the bus, but I'm Italian, I know LIN, Milano and Stazione Centrale more or less like my own pockets.

I take the taxi regularly from Linate to a hotel very close to Stazione Centrale and it never (except maybe Sunday) costs more than 25 Euros or so (and it is around 20 minutes, depending on the taxi line which is not brilliantly managed and the traffic in Milan).
I agree that passport control at Linate (I often fly from UK) is relatively quick and now there are E-gates for non Schengenites as is luggage.