Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dining in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Perche
Remember you'll get lost a lot in Venice. If money is not an object, the easiest really good restaurants to get to near you are Al Covo, and Il Ridotto. Al Covo is a 10-15 minute walk straight Piazza San Marco, keep walking along the water until you get to a street called Via de la Pesceria, and make a left. It's right there. Il Risotto is a 5-6 minute walk. Go through the Piazza staying towards the left and just follow the crowds and keep walking straight till you run into a canal and have to go over a bridge. Just keep following the crowds and going straight ill you get to Campo Sani Fillipo e Giacomo. It's right there, just look around. Venice doesn't have good gelato. The best of the bad is a place called Alaska, but it's a long way, not too far from the train station. You'll need to take a vaporetto. Several pastry places have macaroons. I Tre Mercanti is five minute walk, through Piazza San Marco. It will be a little tricky to find, but if you keep asking directions, you eventually will. Simplest for macaroons if money is no object is Cafe Florian, right in Piazza San Marco. You might want to think about why you want a French desert in Italy, although Italian chefs invented them, they are not a Venetian dessert.
Originally Posted by obscure2k
A Covo is a short and pleasant walk, excellent food. The restaurant is not open on Sunday. No authentic gelato in Venice. .
Osteria Santa Marina is another restaurant I would recommend. It is in Castello, a few minutes walk and definitely not a tourist trap. Food is excellent. On a lovely square.. Macarons are not a typical pastry in Venice.
If you don't make a reservation a reservation around two weeks before to any of these restaurants, you are not getting in. Maybe a little sooner for Il Ridotto, as it only has six tables. They are closed on Wednesday. Al Covo is open on Sunday, closed Wednesday and Thursday.

Last edited by Perche; Sep 7, 2018 at 11:21 pm
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I would heartily recommend Al Covo - my favorite in Venice. Great food, great hospitality, wonderful ambiance. Really cannot go wrong here. As you are there in October, pay attention to see if moeche (a crab from the Venetian lagoon that molts in spring and fall) are on the menu. Whether a main course or perhaps something to share at the table, it is quite good and something which you can not just only get in Venice but only if you are there at the right time.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
You might want to think about why you want a French desert in Italy, although Italian chefs invented them, they are not a Venetian dessert.
Oh I know why! The wife! We honeymooned in Venice and she remembers a place where we found delicious macaroons. Even though they are not a Venetian dessert she still asked that I bring her some home. Rather than try and find the place we went to last time (which I think I can find) I thought I’d ask.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Just wanted to thank those that have contributed to this thread (and to the older thread as well). I was in Venice last week and dined at Al Covo, Antiche Carampane, Osteria alle Testiere, and L'Osteria di Santa Marina during my stay. All excellent - don't know if I can pick a favorite!? I think the best dish I had was the carmalized onion risotto with octopus at L'Osteria di Santa Marina (special thanks @obscure2k). Venice has the best squid/calamari/octopus I've had in my life (and having lived on both US Coasts and sought out good seafood). The Adriatic shrimp puts Gulf of Mexico and SE Asian shrimp to shame. No pizza, no gelato, only seafood and regional meat & cheese - plus plenty of wine. As Perche says, Venice is for the senses - and my tastebuds were very pleased with the trip!
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Thanks for the posts here to far. It has been helpful.

I will I’ll be in Venice for a 3 day conference in October. The conference hotel is at Hotel Monaco and Grand Canal. Most of the events are planned but there is one night open where I can take out some customers.

Can an anyone share a couple of restaurant recommendations within say a 10 minute walk? Nothing too fancy but just good local food that’s not a tourist trap. Price isn’t an issue as my company will pay. I basically just don’t want to overpay for something that isn’t up to par.

If you don't make a reservation a reservation around two weeks before to any of these restaurants, you are not getting in. Maybe a little sooner for Il Ridotto, as it only has six tables. They are closed on Wednesday. Al Covo is open on Sunday, closed Wednesday and Thursday.

Well you were right. I was all set to book Al Covo and it's not available now for the 16th. I was waiting to get confirmation on how many people and it was open as of a week ago and boom. Full. Any other recommendations that are similar in distance to the hotel I'm staying at?

Last edited by WiscAZ; Oct 5, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Well you were right. I was all set to book Al Covo and it's not available now for the 15th. I was waiting to get confirmation on how many people and it was open as of a week ago and boom. Full. Any other recommendations that are similar in distance to the hotel I'm staying at?
Osteria Santa Marina is excellent and an easy 10 minute walk. I believe that the 15th falls on a Monday and I believe that many of the great seafood-centric restaurants may be closed. As you are staying at Monaco, you could just literally cross the street (out one door and in to another) and share good food at Harry'sBar. Great ambiance, huge portions and if you order right it won't break the bank. Excellent risotto dishes and they may be one of the only restaurants in Venice which has fresh white truffles. Sharing/splitting dishes is key to ordering at Harry's Bar. It's a fun place which we have enjoyed for many years. Service is great.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:08 pm

Osteria Santa Marina is excellent and an easy 10 minute walk. I believe that the 15th falls on a Monday and I believe that many of the great seafood-centric restaurants may be closed. As you are staying at Monaco, you could just literally cross the street (out one door and in to another) and share good food at Harry'sBar. Great ambiance, huge portions and if you order right it won't break the bank. Excellent risotto dishes and they may be one of the only restaurants in Venice which has fresh white truffles. Sharing/splitting dishes is key to ordering at Harry's Bar. It's a fun place which we have enjoyed for many years. Service is great.
Oops I mixes up my dates. It's the 16th - Tuesday. Thank you for the suggestion and for Harry's which is very close.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:14 pm

Oops I mixes up my dates. It's the 16th - Tuesday. Thank you for the suggestion and for Harry's which is very close.
Only thing closer than Harry's is the lobby of your hotel. Some consider Harry's a "tourist trap" but I have been going to Harry's for decades and have always found the food and service to be excellent. Yes, it is expensive, but the maitre'd and waiters are very gracious about splitting orders and sharing orders. Moreover, there is a fixed price menu each day which is fairly priced. It is not a typical, local osteria or trattoria; it is legendary. However, having said that, it is really a lot of fun to go, hang out (ask for reservation downstairs) and see a bit of Venetian glamour. I suggest popping in the day before, talking to the maitre'd, tell him number of your party and ask for a nice table downstairs. If you are interested in white truffles, ask if any will be available on the 16th.

Last edited by obscure2k; Oct 5, 2018 at 10:24 pm
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:21 am

Ate one night in Birria La Corte in campo San polo
Food was good and pleasant quiet area
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:15 am

Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to find really good pizza in Venice, due to the laws forbidding wood ovens, The pizza in Venice is frequently sent in frozen and heated in a conventional oven. Your children may be satisfied, but unlikely you will be.
I actually found some decent pizza. It is a tiny place geared more for takeout. Called Cip Ciap and it is just off Santa Maria Formosa Square and practically next door to Alle Testiere. Open kitchen where I saw chef mAking pizza dough. He uses conventional oven but result is good, not great. If walking in the area and you want to grab something to eat this is a very clean little place to consider. They sell pizza by the slice
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
My recommendations are to try some of the cichetti bars near Rialto for some tasty finger food and a glass of wine. There is actually a food tour you can do of some of the bars and that is a great introduction for a tourist.
Alguibagio is a great restaurant on Fondamenta Nuove, Cannareggio. It's sort of a modern twist in a great setting and certainly not as traditional as many restaurants.
da Fiore is in San Polo and is a pleasant restaurant with character. For those seeking that special evening with their partner there is a tiny little balcony over a small canal. Very romantic!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by sydunipete
My recommendations are to try some of the cichetti bars near Rialto for some tasty finger food and a glass of wine. There is actually a food tour you can do of some of the bars and that is a great introduction for a tourist.
Alguibagio is a great restaurant on Fondamenta Nuove, Cannareggio. It's sort of a modern twist in a great setting and certainly not as traditional as many restaurants.
da Fiore is in San Polo and is a pleasant restaurant with character. For those seeking that special evening with their partner there is a tiny little balcony over a small canal. Very romantic!
Spot on. Alguibagio is a place often recommend to lovers on honeymoon or in Venice for an anniversary. But it really only hits the spot if you get an outdoor table on the pier. Otherwise, just doesn't click. That means May to end of September. Indoors, is not the same. You also have to be careful because they have a stand up, fast food restaurant right down the street, with the same name. The food there is horrible. You have to go to the one where you can sit on the pier, next to the Vaporetto stop.

Good cicchetti is not hard to find in Venice, but I agree, the ones near Rialto are some of the best. Just don't eat in a restaurant there. The restaurants near the Rialto Bridge are the worst in the city, with the possible exception of eating in San Marco, where the food is even worse.

Be careful with Da Fiore. It's a great restaurant, but there are 3 restaurants In Venice with the name Da Fiore. There is even one right off of Piazza San Marco, and all the food is frozen and cooked in a microwave, and designed for tourists. The one you mention in San Polo is the right one, but keep in mind that as a Michelin star restaurant, appetizers go for $35-$40, and a pasta also goes for around $40. A main course is generally $50. Or you can get their tasting menu for $140 per person, wine not included. Their cheapest bottle of wine is 52 euros, or about $60. I go there sometimes for lunch, when it is cheaper, but if you go for dinner you will get a great meal for two, it might set you back a few hundred dollars. You don't have tospend that much in Venice to eat well. But at all costs, if you choose to eat at Da Fiore, make you do it at the one you recommend, at San Polo, and not at the other two imposters, especially the one right of of Piazza San Marco.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Spot on. Alguibagio is a place often recommend to lovers on honeymoon or in Venice for an anniversary. But it really only hits the spot if you get an outdoor table on the pier. Otherwise, just doesn't click. That means May to end of September. Indoors, is not the same. You also have to be careful because they have a stand up, fast food restaurant right down the street, with the same name. The food there is horrible. You have to go to the one where you can sit on the pier, next to the Vaporetto stop.

Good cicchetti is not hard to find in Venice, but I agree, the ones near Rialto are some of the best. Just don't eat in a restaurant there. The restaurants near the Rialto Bridge are the worst in the city, with the possible exception of eating in San Marco, where the food is even worse.

Be careful with Da Fiore. It's a great restaurant, but there are 3 restaurants In Venice with the name Da Fiore. There is even one right off of Piazza San Marco, and all the food is frozen and cooked in a microwave, and designed for tourists. The one you mention in San Polo is the right one, but keep in mind that as a Michelin star restaurant, appetizers go for $35-$40, and a pasta also goes for around $40. A main course is generally $50. Or you can get their tasting menu for $140 per person, wine not included. Their cheapest bottle of wine is 52 euros, or about $60. I go there sometimes for lunch, when it is cheaper, but if you go for dinner you will get a great meal for two, it might set you back a few hundred dollars. You don't have tospend that much in Venice to eat well. But at all costs, if you choose to eat at Da Fiore, make you do it at the one you recommend, at San Polo, and not at the other two imposters, especially the one right of of Piazza San Marco.
All agreed and thank you for adding the warnings. If you choose Da Fiore for a romantic night, book way in advance to secure the balcony table. There is a small foot bridge just a few metres away and people will stop and take your photo all night. If you're looking for a special date night - this is it. They used to have a spectacular Franciacorta (Antica Fratta) but I see it is no longer on the list.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AY Plat
We (a couple with no kids) have just returned from Venice and here are some thoughts on the places we ate at:

Al Covo (dinner) - wonderful food and great service.
Osteria alla Frasca (dinner) - less formal than Al Covo, same quality of food, great pasta
Vino Vino (lunch) - good for lunch, especially if you are in the area
Trattoria da Romano on Burano (lunch) - great seafood risotto made with the Gó fish stock
Locanda Cipriani on Torcello (lunch) - amazing old school restaurant (most formal and most expensive out of all places we have tried in Venice).
Ai Cugnai (dinner) - some items on the menu are surprising (not typical of Venice) but the Venetian dishes we had were good. I wouldn’t go out of my way to get there but if you are in Dorsoduro, it’s a good choice

We have also tried several ciccheti places (Do Mori, All’Arco, gia Schiavi) and found gia Schiavi to be the best and the least expensive.

bottom line: Venice has amazing food, you just need to know what to order where. Wines from Veneto are also very good and pair perfectly with local dishes (obviously no surprise here)
SanDiego1K, obscure2k and Perche like this.

Last edited by VitaliU; Mar 18, 2019 at 4:13 am Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:02 pm

Like the original poster, I'm a long time lurker. I've read through this amazing thread and the prior one by Oliver about dining in Venice. Our family of three (two adults plus a teen) will be in Venice over Easter. It seems most bacari are closed on Sundays. We have dinner reservations at Al Covo that evening, but would love some lunch ideas. And then on Easter Monday, I'm hoping Osteria Santa Marina will be open but would appreciate any other suggestions. It seems Oliver was disappointed by ai Assasini, and it seems he did a lot of research, so looking for alternatives. Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.