Reload this Page >

Gelato in Italy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gelato in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:52 pm

@offerendum: I really wonder, after seeing the number of your recent visits to so many top gelaterie throughout Italy, how many kg of weight you put on! Unless, of course, you skipped lunch and dinner
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by KLouis
@offerendum: I really wonder, after seeing the number of your recent visits to so many top gelaterie throughout Italy, how many kg of weight you put on! Unless, of course, you skipped lunch and dinner
It wasnīt that bad. In average it were one, sometime 2 gelato per day. Over all it was a 22 days vacation. We indeed normally donīt eat lunch, but a nice dinner.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I am loving this thread! What is the official word for ice cream in Italian if it is not gelato? It's interesting that in Spanish, the same word, "helado," does mean ice cream. Learning lots of great information here, thanks to the OP.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Silver
First, I have to apologize for trying to post this earlier-- the way I went about it got my posts deservedly deleted.

Second, this is an incredibly educational thread and I'm now very excited for our visit next week.

One thing I was having trouble with was the locations, since I don't know the regions well. So I parsed the 2019 Dissapore article that Perche originally posed and extracted an address for each location. I then imported this list to a geomapping program online to create an interactive map of the top 100 locations:

https://batchgeo.com/map/f15a21214ba...8b8b1a1669362f

If anyone sees mistakes, please be sure to let me know and I'll change them.
iapetus, seenitall, JMN57 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I am loving this thread! What is the official word for ice cream in Italian if it is not gelato? It's interesting that in Spanish, the same word, "helado," does mean ice cream. Learning lots of great information here, thanks to the OP.
I'm not sure if this is a reference to something else in this thread, but as I understand gelato is the Italian word for ice cream, and is used in English to refer to it as prepared in Italy. One place to see: What’s the Difference Between Ice Cream and Gelato?
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What is the official word for ice cream in Italian if it is not gelato?
Good question. I know that if I try to translate 'gelato' from Italian to English as 'gelato', Duolingo marks me wrong. (Another tool that I frequently use also doesn't distinguish.)

Proposal: ice cream = gelato americano ... or maybe gelato brutto?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:46 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by KLouis
I've been worrying about offerendum's cholesterol level! But I've loved seeing the pictures and living vicariously through him, grazie!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by JBD
I've been worrying about offerendum's cholesterol level! But I've loved seeing the pictures and living vicariously through him, grazie!
Oh, thatīs an ongoing worry. But at least during my last check-up it was fine. But generally beeing greedy and to have not a lot of discipline is not the best combination
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Can confirm Edoardo in Florence has really good gelato

The price was reasonable (2.75€ for the cup) and the location was great

Gelato and Duomo di Firenze
offerendum and AlicorporateUK like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Papilla Ravenna

Not really a surprise we had a gelato in Ravenna. It was Papilla and gelato was pretty good.

AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by asc12
One thing I was having trouble with was the locations, since I don't know the regions well. So I parsed the 2019 Dissapore article that Perche originally posed and extracted an address for each location. I then imported this list to a geomapping program online to create an interactive map of the top 100 locations:

Wow! That's really cool and quite useful. Thanks! ^ I'll probably take a look at that a few times in the coming weeks, when I'm in parts of Italy that I'm less familiar with (i.e. not Roma).
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asc12
First, I have to apologize for trying to post this earlier-- the way I went about it got my posts deservedly deleted.

Second, this is an incredibly educational thread and I'm now very excited for our visit next week.

Very useful! I see, I missed some......
asc12 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GROM (Venice)

Grom is a gelateria with outlets all over Italy. Itīs often hyped and you even get some Grom gelato at the supermarket.

The gelato is pretty good and perhaps itīs the best gelato group in Italy. Nevertheless you canīt compare it to the top-Gelaterias from Dissapore list.

If you really like to waste your Money you can order a gelato-brioche. You get a small amount of gelato in a very cheap brioche (or something what looks roughly like it). This costs you around 5 Euros.....
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
enjoyed Giolitti in Rome. Best gelato I had last time in Italy though was Baffo in Santa Maria di Castellabate
Old Jul 4, 2019, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by offerendum
Grom is a gelateria with outlets all over Italy. Itīs often hyped and you even get some Grom gelato at the supermarket.

The gelato is pretty good and perhaps itīs the best gelato group in Italy. Nevertheless you canīt compare it to the top-Gelaterias from Dissapore list.

If you really like to waste your Money you can order a gelato-brioche. You get a small amount of gelato in a very cheap brioche (or something what looks roughly like it). This costs you around 5 Euros.....
One should not think they are getting gelato at Grom. They are not just all over Italy, they are all over the world, even in New York City. They are owned by Uniliver, a chemical company that makes Dove Soap, Ponds Soap, Doves Men Care, Knorr Foods known mainly for its "one skillet meals," like Southwestern Chicken Brown Rice and Quinoa, Moroccan Chicken with Bafrley, cheddar broccoli, Alfredo Pasta (everyone by now should know there is really no such thing as Alfredo Sauce), even more disgusting, Creamy Shrimp Alfredo, chicken and herbs on long grain rice, Hellman's mayonnaise, Lipton Tea, Vaseline, Noxzema skin cream, and to compete with itself at Grom, Talenti gelato, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, Breyers Ice Cream, Ice Cream Makes You Happy, and Klondike Ice Cream Bars, and Popsicles. Caress woman skin cream, Clear Deodorant, Degree Deodorant, Q-tips, Apothecare Essentials, St. Ive's skin care products, Suave Skin and Hair Care, and many more.

They are not an Italian artisan gelato company, although it started that way, it's now part of corporate conglomerate that makes ice cream in NYC, LA, Malibu, Paris, Jakarta, Osaka, Dubai, and London.

With Giolitti you hit it on the button.

The manager of the Unilever Refreshment Division doesn't even know the difference between ice cream and gelato.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...0RV5BO20151001

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.