Wiki Posts
Search

Gelato in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:38 pm
JBD

For iapetus and rickg523

Originally Posted by iapetus
...So here's the thing: I'd love to have some gelato artigianale, but I've given up. Is that wrong of me? I think I'd have to go very far out of my way when I'm in Rome (I usually spend my time between Piazza Navona and Spagna when I'm not at work) to get the real thing. This thread has kinda convinced me that it's almost impossible.
Originally Posted by rickg523
Looking for guidance here. I also pretty much stay between Campo di Fiore and Spanish Steps when I'm in Rome.
I've had "gelato" at Giolitti, San Crispino, and Grom.
Did I actually have gelato?
FWIW -
For you guys looking for the absolute nearest places to where you both stay - in the articles I just linked, both Katie Parla and Tavole Romane recommend Gelateria del Teatro (both locations are in the Centro Storico but their Via dei Coronari would be the closest), and Tavole Romane additionally recommends Ciampini, Fatamorgana (Via dei Chiavari location) and Gunther Gelato Italiano (all three locations are in the Centro Storico, but their Punto Gelato on P.zza Sant'Eustachio would be in your bullseye).

Have you tried any of these yet?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by iapetus
I agree. But that's not really how I use Duolingo. I view every such claim by a language app maker very skeptically.

That's exactly my point! I was annoyed when I tried to translate 'gelato' as 'gelato' and it marked me wrong.

So here's the thing: I'd love to have some gelato artigianale, but I've given up. Is that wrong of me? I think I'd have to go very far out of my way when I'm in Rome (I usually spend my time between Piazza Navona and Spagna when I'm not at work) to get the real thing. This thread has kinda convinced me that it's almost impossible.
Not impossible to get gelato. I have it everyday. It was 100F here in Rome yesterday. Will be even hotter today. The gym I am a member of doesn’t have air conditioning, fans, or even water fountains. It has to be at least 120F. If not for post-workout gelato I’d die of heat stroke. Youbjust have to know what to look for.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche
Not impossible to get gelato. I have it everyday. It was 100F here in Rome yesterday. Will be even hotter today. The gym I am a member of doesn’t have air conditioning, fans, or even water fountains. It has to be at least 120F. If not for post-workout gelato I’d die of heat stroke. Youbjust have to know what to look for.
the word artigianale doesn’t have any meaning anymore. None at all. Every store puts up a sign saying gelato artigianale. It’s not. They all have that sign now.

Last edited by Perche; Aug 2, 2018 at 1:36 am
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone recommend some good gelato near Republica, and/or in Monti (the two locations I will be staying in). I've clocked the Fatamorgana Monti, but any others that people would personally recommend?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by emma69
Can anyone recommend some good gelato near Republica, and/or in Monti (the two locations I will be staying in). I've clocked the Fatamorgana Monti, but any others that people would personally recommend?
Gelateria dell’Angeletto -Via dell’Angeletto 15 - The gelato is supposed to come from Gelateria Dei Gracchi.

If you are over in Trastevere, Otaleg just opened up a new shop. Otaleg. The gelato is very good.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mromalley
Gelateria dell’Angeletto -Via dell’Angeletto 15 - The gelato is supposed to come from Gelateria Dei Gracchi.

If you are over in Trastevere, Otaleg just opened up a new shop. Otaleg. The gelato is very good.
Thank you!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mromalley

Reminds me that just over the Ponte Garibaldi from Travestere is the old Gelateria Alberto Pica, recommended to me by Elizabeth Minchilli.
IIRC, it's expensive and the gelato was creamy with a heavier texture.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

The 2018 ranking of the 100 best gelato places in Italy came out two weeks ago. This listing is taken very seriously, with famous gelato makers ranking them using blinded methods. As can be seen from the list, it's a challenge to get gelato in cities that tend to be frequented by tourists, as most of the good stuff is found in smaller towns. There are only 5-6 winners in Rome, 3 in Florence,1-2 in Milan, none in Venice.

As has been mentioned before, regardless of what the phrase book or guide books say, gelato is not the Italian word for ice cream. I'm sure sure good gelato can be found in other places, but these were the winners for 2018,

https://www.dissapore.com/locali/le-...18-da-100-a-1/
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:44 pm
JBD

In Rome's Centro Storico: Il Cannolo Siciliano

Thanks for linking the new Dissapore list!

I see one in Rome that should be easy to reach by many tourists.
It's a new entry at number 24: Il Cannolo Siciliano.
They actually have two locations, but the one in the tourist area is at Via Quattro Novembre 95B

Very convenient for those visiting Trajan's Markets and Column, and/or Palazzo Valentini's Domus Romane. And not that far from the Pantheon.

Dissapore links their Facebook page. I can't seem to find a website for them but here's their TripAdvisor page. (And before I get flamed for mentioning TA, I'm doing so because it includes pictures of their goods, and, it includes a picture of a sign the proprietor has displayed that shows the TA logo with "Leave us a review"!).

And here's a screenshot of Google streetview where you can see the shop, and on the left side of the picture you'll see Trajan's Column and the steps that lead down to it.

obscure2k likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, SPG
A little out of the way but really good!

Just got back from Rome and wanted to share the best gelato we found: Giuffre. It's a bit off the beaten track at the southern end of Trastevere but its along the tram route so not too hard to get to. My son spent 5 weeks there for a summer class, lived two doors down, and went to this place every day. It was way better than any of the other places we went to in our trip and was almost exclusively locals plus all the students who lived near it. Its located at 255 Viale Trastevere - worth the trek if you're in Trastevere anyways. Like the better gelato places, the product is kept covered and buried in the counter, not open & visible. You have to go off the names rather than the appearance but they also offer 4 types of cream (plain, chocolate, coffee, & I forget the 4th) combined with your gelato- amazing!!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBD
Thanks for linking the new Dissapore list!

I see one in Rome that should be easy to reach by many tourists.
It's a new entry at number 24: Il Cannolo Siciliano.
They actually have two locations, but the one in the tourist area is at Via Quattro Novembre 95B

Very convenient for those visiting Trajan's Markets and Column, and/or Palazzo Valentini's Domus Romane. And not that far from the Pantheon.
Great info because I didn't bother to look up the locations. I just got back from a few weeks in Rome last week and I walked by this place almost everyday, but never tried it. I stay in Monti but like to wind down my evenings in Piazza Venezia with a glass of wine, so I always go down those stairs. I hadn't read the latest Dissapore when I was there. Thanks for pinpointing the location, because it is right in the heart of the tourist center, where you would never expect to find gelato. You'd only expect to find ice cream.

Probably every tourist who goes to Rome will be within 100 yards of this place at some point, the 24th best gelato place e in Italy, and would never have known it if you didn't point out the location, pretty much just across the way from the way from the Forum, or Piazza Venezia.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:56 am
hln

Always look at the colours, when discerning good gelato artigianale from what is not so artigianale.
Bright colours = not good !
dull, opaque colour = the real stuff.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:40 pm

Going to Italy next week, thanks for all the recommendations. It's really hard to find the "best" since everyone has different tastes. The Dissapore list will guide me to the preferred gelato of the Italian palette. I tried Grom here in LA last week, and will use it as my baseline.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:37 pm

For our first trip to Italy, what a nice surprise to find a rated gelato shop from this list right in in Benevento, near our family's home commune.#65 C'era Una Volta in Benevento.

We walked thru the ancient cobbled streets and alleys to find the shop tucked back behind a wall, and had we not seen the address on the iPhone gps we might have missed it.
Lovelyfragola, cioccolato and pistaccio (when you can't decide you go for the basics to judge!) and it was delicious! They don't speak English and we don't speak Italian, but they were cheerful and welcoming and helped us work the trade out.
I can't wait to return again next year!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moyerclan
For our first trip to Italy, what a nice surprise to find a rated gelato shop from this list right in in Benevento, near our family's home commune.#65 C'era Una Volta in Benevento.

We walked thru the ancient cobbled streets and alleys to find the shop tucked back behind a wall, and had we not seen the address on the iPhone gps we might have missed it.
Lovelyfragola, cioccolato and pistaccio (when you can't decide you go for the basics to judge!) and it was delicious! They don't speak English and we don't speak Italian, but they were cheerful and welcoming and helped us work the trade out.
I can't wait to return again next year!
That’s the way to do it!
obscure2k and sophiesophie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.