Search

Gelato in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Perche
One should not think they are getting gelato at Grom. They are not just all over Italy, they are all over the world, even in New York City. They are owned by Uniliver, a chemical company that makes Dove Soap, Ponds Soap, Doves Men Care, Knorr Foods known mainly for its "one skillet meals," like Southwestern Chicken Brown Rice and Quinoa, Moroccan Chicken with Bafrley, cheddar broccoli, Alfredo Pasta (everyone by now should know there is really no such thing as Alfredo Sauce), even more disgusting, Creamy Shrimp Alfredo, chicken and herbs on long grain rice, Hellman's mayonnaise, Lipton Tea, Vaseline, Noxzema skin cream, and to compete with itself at Grom, Talenti gelato, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, Breyers Ice Cream, Ice Cream Makes You Happy, and Klondike Ice Cream Bars, and Popsicles. Caress woman skin cream, Clear Deodorant, Degree Deodorant, Q-tips, Apothecare Essentials, St. Ive's skin care products, Suave Skin and Hair Care, and many more.

They are not an Italian artisan gelato company, although it started that way, it's now part of corporate conglomerate that makes ice cream in NYC, LA, Malibu, Paris, Jakarta, Osaka, Dubai, and London.

With Giolitti you hit it on the button.

The manager of the Unilever Refreshment Division doesn't even know the difference between ice cream and gelato.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...0RV5BO20151001
Thanks, interesting. Another excample is Amorino, not sure who earns them and from France.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Amorino

Amorino has outlets all over Europe, it was my favourite in Spain and France and in enjoy it in Germany. I was sceptical in Italy as something told me I wouldnīt enjoy it so much. The ice cream as far as I know from France.

To be honest it wasnīt the best visit for me and Amorino. Sure, the ice cream isnīt bad but compared to some of the gelatos I had the days before it was not that great. Itīs fine in Germany, France or Spain but not in Italy
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Murano Gelateria Artigianale

To be honest I had no intention to eat gelato/ ice cream at Murano as I was very sceptical. In the end I bought one.

It was surprisingly good!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amorino (Venice)

Amorino has outlets all over Europe, it was my favourite in Spain and France and in enjoy it in Germany. I was sceptical in Italy as something told me I wouldnīt enjoy it so much. To be honest I was surprised to see it in Italy. The ice cream as far as I know from France.

To be honest it wasnīt the best visit for me and Amorino. Sure, the ice cream isnīt bad but compared to some of the gelatos I had the days before it was not that great. Itīs fine in Germany, France or Spain but not in Italy
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by offerendum
Amorino has outlets all over Europe, it was my favourite in Spain and France and in enjoy it in Germany. I was sceptical in Italy as something told me I wouldnīt enjoy it so much. To be honest I was surprised to see it in Italy. The ice cream as far as I know from France.

Please remember, gelato is not ice cream. They are two separate things. The only thing they have in common is that they are dairy.

You can't have gelato made in another country, or in a factory, like Grom or Amorino. It is ice cream, not gelato. Gelato goes bad in 2-3 days at most. Safeway can keep ice cream in the refrigerator next to the TV dinners for a year, and still sell it. Gelato is not made with cream, although sometimes a little cream is added, so despite what Wikipedia says, gelato is not the Italian word for ice cream.

Last edited by Perche; Jul 7, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks, interesting. Another excample is Amorino, not sure who earns them and from France.
You are right, it is made in a suburb of Paris. The owners decided to, "centralize its production so they can oversee its quality." I'm in NY right now, and there are 4 in Manhattan. They ship their factory ice cream, not gelato, to multiple cities in Asia, Europe, the USA, and Mexico. They say they wanted to oversea, "maturation of their product," but gelato, unlike ice cream has to be discarded in 2-3 days, it doesn't mature. They have franchises all over the world, and they sell them for 200 pounds. Why a company claiming to make Italian gelato is selling hundreds of franchises in British pounds escapes me.

"In our financial plan, we ask that the franchisee has a financial liquidity of roughly Ģ200 000 (per store). For our part, as a franchisor, our role consists of : actively assist in the preparation and opening of the boutique. By using our networks, we will help the franchisee to identify key locations for boutiques. Products arrive ready for sale, with good profit margins."

You can't make gelato in Orly, France and ship it around the world. Ice cream yes. Gelato, no. It only lasts for a couple of days. It's an ice cream franchise.

Last edited by Perche; Jul 7, 2019 at 8:22 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perche
Please remember, gelato is not ice cream.
Thatīs the reason I used the term "ice cream" in this post To be fair itīs not always easy to see if it is ice cream or gelato. I think all Gelaterias on the dissapore list are real gelato. In some cases I was sure it was ice cream in others Iīm unsure.

This said ice cream can be delicious, no question.But I think the best places on our journey had real gelato.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
I just finished 7 days in northern Italy (Bologna, Florence, Milan), during which I tried about 10 gelaterie. If anyone's heading that way, these were my top picks:
  • La Sorbetteria Castiglione, Bologna - the green apple is wonderful.
  • Gelateria Galleria 49, Bologna - the most sensational fruit flavours I have ever tasted in my life. The wild strawberry is a standout. They also do a great strawberry granita.
  • QB Gelato, Milan - the lavender and honey is beautiful; also the peach.
  • Alberto Marchetti, Milan - I took the server's recommendation of the white chocolate and salted caramel, which was really good.
Will try and remember to come back and add photos soon.
mitellic likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
Gelateria Galleria 49, Bologna - the most sensational fruit flavours I have ever tasted in my life. The wild strawberry is a standout. They also do a great strawberry granita.
I missed Gelateria Galleria 49 due to my own stupidity (wrong note on my list)
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
I just finished 7 days in northern Italy (Bologna, Florence, Milan), during which I tried about 10 gelaterie. If anyone's heading that way, these were my top picks:
  • La Sorbetteria Castiglione, Bologna - the green apple is wonderful.
  • Gelateria Galleria 49, Bologna - the most sensational fruit flavours I have ever tasted in my life. The wild strawberry is a standout. They also do a great strawberry granita.
  • QB Gelato, Milan - the lavender and honey is beautiful; also the peach.
  • Alberto Marchetti, Milan - I took the server's recommendation of the white chocolate and salted caramel, which was really good.
Will try and remember to come back and add photos soon.
Spot on FlyingJoy. Gelato, unlike ice cream, is made fresh every couple of days, and so they only use the fruit that is handily available. Right now, strawberries are at their peak in Italy, and will remain so for another three months. They taste sweet and delicious. If someone is selling strawberry gelato in December, it was made with strawberry flavored syrup and artificial coloring. That's why yours tasted so good, because you got the real thing.

Apricots, blueberry (if you can find it), cherry (abundant), figs, melons, tangerines, nectarines, plums, raspberries will all be fresh at a place serving gelato. If you can find it, watermelon. There is a saying about summer watermelon in Italy, "magni, bevi e te lavi la faccia." That means you can simultaneously eat it, drink it, and wash your face with it. It's so good. It's called cocomero in Italian, so if you find one of the places actually serving gelato and you see cocomero, don't pass it by at this time of the year.
FlyingJoy likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gelato in Milan

Milan is a heaven for gelato-lovers. Unfortunately I couldnīt try many spots.

CiaccoLab
First we tried CiaccoLab, which is also originally located in Parma. It is number 6 of the Dissapore list.

The gelato was extraordinary. Highly recommended.

Q.B. Gelato
Our second gelato spot was Q.B. gelato, number 97 of Dissapore list.

This guy in front of the entrance was some filthy guy who was molesting the people.
The gelato was very good!

FlyingJoy likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bergamo

La Marianna
La Marianna is a pestaurant, patisserie and gelateria in Bergamo. They claim they invented stracciatella gelato in 1961 and to produce it still with a Carpigiani L40 and the original recipe.

The gelato was pretty good but not that special.

Carmen
I found Gelateria Carmen. Gelato was really good!

Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Como: Guidi

It was the last time during my vacation I bought a gelato. I didnīt plan it but saw this sigh and thought it looked trustworthy.

Inside the bins which are often a good sign.

The flavors:

What I got was wonderful gelato, in my eyes it compared with adresses at the Dissapore list. A real discovery.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:34 pm

Honestly, after having arrived at the last gelateria you tested, how much weight did you put on? I loved your series!!!

Last edited by KLouis; Jul 27, 2019 at 7:25 pm
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLouis
Honestly, after having arrived at the last gelateria to tested, how much weight did you put on? I loved your series!!!
Surprisingly not that much, not more than 2 kg. Donīt forget I had most evenings also Michelin-starred dinners
FlyingJoy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.